Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Removing Tail Lights on an R56.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Tail Lights on an R56.

Has anyone done a write-up (or have some quick how-to advice) on removing tail lights on an R56?

Thanks in advance.

vin.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You basically pull the trim off the outside, that reveals some screws. I've never done it but looked into changing them at one point.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:56 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
Thanks for the tip!

It's actually not that difficult...

1. Use a flat head screwdriver or similar tool and wedge it between the chrome trim ring and the taillight. The key is to work from the inside of the ring with the screwdriver tip pointing towards the outside of the taillight.

2. The light is held in by three torx screws (not sure of size.)

3. There is a single electrical connection that must be disconnected before you can pull the light out.

Reverse the steps for reassembly.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:44 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by c615586
Thanks for the tip!

It's actually not that difficult...

1. Use a flat head screwdriver or similar tool and wedge it between the chrome trim ring and the taillight. The key is to work from the inside of the ring with the screwdriver tip pointing towards the outside of the taillight.

2. The light is held in by three torx screws (not sure of size.)

3. There is a single electrical connection that must be disconnected before you can pull the light out.

Reverse the steps for reassembly.
Cool, were you able to crack open the tail light to see if the orange lens comes out?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Cool, were you able to crack open the tail light to see if the orange lens comes out?
Please say yes...
Please say yes...
Please say yes...
Please say yes...

Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
Not yet....

Originally Posted by Sketch
Please say yes...
Please say yes...
Please say yes...
Please say yes...
I went ahead switched out the red/yellow lights with OEM red/white lights (approx $100/side from Classic MINI in Cleveland.)

The little one just arrived (see below), so I don't think I'm going to have much time to crack open the lights for a little while....

It does look like a they do come apart, shouldn't be too difficult to get the yellow lens out.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
I went ahead switched out the red/yellow lights with OEM red/white lights (approx $100/side from Classic MINI in Cleveland.)

The little one just arrived (see below), so I don't think I'm going to have much time to crack open the lights for a little while....

It does look like a they do come apart, shouldn't be too difficult to get the yellow lens out.
Congrats on your new arrival!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Awesome! Congrats friend!!

Chubby Checker, what do you think? Are we gonna be rolin' in some new white turn signals?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
benji_mini
4th Gear
Congrats on the baby. If you guys do get to crackin some taillights, lemme know. im somewhat interested. gonna have to figure out the headlight if the taillights can be done.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by benji_mini
Congrats on the baby. If you guys do get to crackin some taillights, lemme know. im somewhat interested. gonna have to figure out the headlight if the taillights can be done.
Chekc out the DIY headlight thread if you havent already. My buddy and I did the mod to remove the orange, and looks SSSOOOOO great! Only took about an hour, with only one beinhg done at a time. It definetely changes the whole look of the car.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
So... I was bored on election day, so I decided to play around with my tailights. I popped out the lights and opend them up fairly easily. But with all honesty, I dont know how to get the lense out. So, im thinking that if Chubby could get that think popped out, a mold could EASILY be made, just like on the fronts. Whatcha think?

Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
So... I was bored on election day, so I decided to play around with my tailights. I popped out the lights and opend them up fairly easily. But with all honesty, I dont know how to get the lense out. So, im thinking that if Chubby could get that think popped out, a mold could EASILY be made, just like on the fronts. Whatcha think?

So you got the "plastic" of the taillights?! HOW did you do that!?!?

please let me know!

Coen

maybe a DIY

Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
That's kind of funny. I also took one of mine out yesterday to take a look at it. Almost got my hand stuck trying to get it out.

I didn't separate the clear outer cover from the base but looking at the orange lens inside, the mold would be a pain to make. So for now I'll have to stick with orange lenses.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
mwedge
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
That's kind of funny. I also took one of mine out yesterday to take a look at it. Almost got my hand stuck trying to get it out.

I didn't separate the clear outer cover from the base but looking at the orange lens inside, the mold would be a pain to make. So for now I'll have to stick with orange lenses.
Dang! I sure was hoping it would be more like the fronts. Sure wish I could get rid of that orange lens on the rears.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Well, I know someone who needs a right orange tailight, so I think I will sell him mine and buy a set of white lense tailights from Morristown Mini.
BTW, all I did was remove the light from its place in the car, and remove the black housing from the light (the housing that holds the bulbs in place). Once this is done, the lense is visible, and is close to being removed... So close yet so far!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
mwedge
3rd Gear
How much is the set of rears with the clear lens?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mwedge
How much is the set of rears with the clear lens?
Not sure. I emailed Morristown Mini, so ill know when once they get back to me.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
I want to take of the clear cover.. is this possible?? I have a sort of rear light paint.. so i could spray everything red....

I know the white lens lights costs here 68 euro's a piece.

cheers

Coen

Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure it's "possible", just not sure how i'd go about it. With the R53 I used to just pry at the edges and crack the sealant.

Is there a way to reach the edge of the lense on the R56 lights? Heating them up would help loosen the sealant (if there is any)

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coen_de_K
I want to take of the clear cover.. is this possible?? I have a sort of rear light paint.. so i could spray everything red....

I know the white lens lights costs here 68 euro's a piece.

cheers

Coen
I think it is possible. It looks like the clear cover is joined to the base by welding the 2 plastic pieces together. I don't remember how many places it was joined together. I am sure the plastic welds would need to be cut apart, then the pieces just glued back together.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
I got my red/white tail lights from Classic in Cleveland for $100 each. I think Morristown will be about the same.

If I don't sell my old red/yellow lights, I may try to tint the yellow lens black--I think it might look pretty cool.

vin.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
Guys, how in the world I unplug that guy (tail light) ? I am contorting my hand inside the little access panel but I can make it come loose.
I have already taken off the trim and the three screws but wow!
Any pointers>?
Thanks guys,
David

Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
Got it!...after some nice scratches on my wrist and knuckles I figured it out. Basically the best way to take the tali light out is to make some room for yourself by taking off the rear light plug. Once I did that I had some room to wiggle and got it right off in less than a minute.
Note: I am not a big guy so if you have a gigantic hand, good luck! You wont be able to fit your hand in that little hole.
Re: unplugging the light prior to removal.
In my case the cable is fairly long so I was able to pull the light out and then unplug that guy no problem.
David

Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
ive taken my tails out a few times (to tint them, to untint them) and i found the best way to do this is get the chrome (or black/body color/cf) ring off and unscrew the 3 20torx screws holding the taillight in. after that, reach in from behind the light and push the light out. itll give you a little fight because of the weather seal, however itll come out with some wiggling. once out i was able to undo the wiring harness. pretty easy and shouldnt take more than three-four minutes for the ENTIRE process for each light. once you do it enough times its pretty easy and should take about 3-4 minutes for both lights.

Benji

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM
mzangari
1st Gear
DIY

Just finished this....got the new tail lights from classic mini(thx paul)....it toook all of 10 minutes to complete both.....one note - check the middle(blinker) bulb in your new tail light....mine had the white cover but an amber bulb...so I took the stock bulb out which was white(go figure)....very easy mod and IMO, looks nicer than the amber tail light flashers....good luck all and thanks for your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Removing Tail Lights on an R56.