Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"Service Engine Soon" Light On -- Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
dbsanford
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Service Engine Soon" Light On -- Reset?

I had a dealer Inspection 1 service a couple of weeks ago and now I have the "Service Engine Soon" light on. Is this something the dealer forgot to reset? If others have had that happen, can you/did you reset the light? I live over an hour from the dealer and would like to avoid a trip back. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsanford
I had a dealer Inspection 1 service a couple of weeks ago and now I have the "Service Engine Soon" light on. Is this something the dealer forgot to reset? If others have had that happen, can you/did you reset the light? I live over an hour from the dealer and would like to avoid a trip back. Thanks.
Hie thee to a shop and get the code read. Or if there are any parts stores over on the right coast (o'Rielly's?) that will do it for free, use them.
The two (dealer service --> SES light) may not be related. Safe beats sorry every time.
-skip-

Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Big-Daddy-Blue
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbsanford
You can go to Autozone and have the code pulled for free and they will pull there little book out and tell you what it is.

If you need help, post the code here and plenty will chime in with a fix.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 PM
dbsanford
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big-Daddy-Blue
You can go to Autozone and have the code pulled for free and they will pull there little book out and tell you what it is.

If you need help, post the code here and plenty will chime in with a fix.
Thanks Big-Daddy-Blue. I've got one nearby and will go over tomorrow.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
my code indicates 0456, a vacuum leak that not even Dinan could figure out where it is coming from. Dinan told me to change the canister pump that is located by/behind the exhaust pipe next to the rear passenger wheel.

It turned out that the problem wasn't fixed. So after almost 1 week of Dinan doing a smoke test and undoing the top mount of the engine to check for any leaks and tightening all the hoses, the problem is still not fixed.

I am dumb founded right now and have no idea what to do since I can't even register the car since my registration is expired and can't even smog it with that SES light on.

Can anyone lend a helping suggestion or a remedy?