R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Engine Surges

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Surges

I have a 2007 MINI S Automatic with Turbo. ( I had to sell my Cabrio 6 spd for the wife to use.... oh well. :-(

It seems that when I come to a stop at a traffic light keeping the car in "D" and foot on the brake, or when I have it in reverse, foot on the brake, that the engine surges or pulses repeatedly. It is annoying since it feels that wants to go.. go.. go.. but in a really bad way. Dealer says that it is a software issue, but no solution for the past 2 months. I have had this MINI sine Jan 29 2008 and it has been hard to enjoy it since I really don't think Habberstad has very much concern. Additionally they shorted me the spare key and I have yet to get that resolved either.

Does anyone else have this surging or pulsing issue?

Thanks again and Motor On.

PS I have to change my signature, but I miss the MINIsc 6 spd.... RIP

Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Yup, my MSCa does the same exact thing (along with the rough/surgey idle). My SA basically said this is normal, but I will keep my eye on it and ask again when I take Ambrosia in.

It shouldn't be anything to worry about from what others on here have said but it is a bit disconcerting when the car feels like it wants to take off while you are stopped at a light!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
see this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=121640

(there might be others too.)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
canyonking
2nd Gear
count me in on the surge, especially if its uber cold out it'll really bad....one thing that i found to help a little is to flush the engine and fuel injectors with some red line fuel system cleaner. Im not quite sure and dont quote me on this, but im guessing MINIS have a tendancy to built up gunk really fast. so in short, your not the only one

Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a thread on this a little while back. The MINI dealer said it was normal and live with it!!! Not the answer I was looking for but, it seems to have gotten better over time. The car has 22k miles and only does it every so often. This makes me think there other problems at work. Just keep your foot on the brake and hope you don"t eat someone's bumper

Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Surging and Engine Pulsing

My MINI S automatic did it from day ONE with 5 miles on it. The dealer claimed it was normal too. Now after making a stink about it, and nearly surging into another car while in reverse parking, MINI USA is admitting it a software issue. I am told resolution by April 15 though I won't hold my breath.
I notice the exhaust pipes have some black soot on them looking like incorrect fuel mixture. I really just want to be able to come to a stop light or park without the SuperMINI wanting to drive away by itself. My 350Z or any other sports car I have owned has never had this issue

The dealer in general has been unresponsive hence my reaching out to MINI USA. They still owe me the 2nd key from pickup date of Jan 29 2008.

Please let me hear your comments in regards to your surging problems since it is NOT normal.

Please disregard my old signature since I traded it in for the automatic for the wife. Wish I never did.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
[quote=Does anyone else have this surging or pulsing issue? [/quote]

I don't know if it's related, but my 07MCS manual had a problem on very cold morning starts, where the engine would keep cycling between 1000 and 1500 rpm.

MINI trucked my car to the dealership, where they replaced the throttle with a "redesigned" unit.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs
I have a 2007 MINI S Automatic with Turbo. ( I had to sell my Cabrio 6 spd for the wife to use.... oh well. :-(

It seems that when I come to a stop at a traffic light keeping the car in "D" and foot on the brake, or when I have it in reverse, foot on the brake, that the engine surges or pulses repeatedly. It is annoying since it feels that wants to go.. go.. go.. but in a really bad way. Dealer says that it is a software issue, but no solution for the past 2 months. I have had this MINI sine Jan 29 2008 and it has been hard to enjoy it since I really don't think Habberstad has very much concern. Additionally they shorted me the spare key and I have yet to get that resolved either.

Does anyone else have this surging or pulsing issue?

Thanks again and Motor On.

PS I have to change my signature, but I miss the MINIsc 6 spd.... RIP

I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIDivision
I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Could you tell me why Princeton MINI told me this is normal? I said out of all the cars I have had this is the first to do anything close to this. I also told them many others have the same problem. Feel free to have them call me also.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine does it but only when I have the A/C on. You can tell it's just the A/C compressor kicking in and out making the engine RPM go slightly higher and lower. If I don't have the A/C on it's smooth as silk...

Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIDivision
I applaud Mini's proactive help in this manner. I have to wonder though, this is the only post like this I've seen. No response in the MCS engine clatter thread and what of Mufflethis's horrible transmission noise said to be normal in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=135682

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Not to be too rude, but I would have taught my wife how to use a clutch. She'd appreciate it in the end, trust me. I hope you automatic owners and MINI get this worked out. That is a very odd issue.