Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX ATB Diff, Clutch, and Cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX ATB Diff, Clutch, and Cam

I've got an OBX ATB differential for my daily driver/odd autocrosser on order. I got a super deal on a phantom grip kit from a NAM member but I'm opting for the ATB diff instead. I'm too scared of having my diff pin pop etc.

I'm going to pull the motor/trans this spring and while I'm there I'll install at least a clutch kit perhaps a lighter flywheel. While the motor is out I'm going to pop in an Ultrik cam too. I'll post some pics while I do the swapping. Any suggestions on uprated clutch kits and/or flywheels? Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Clutchmaster FX300 clutch with their lightweight flywheel FTW!

GotMINI

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
spdfreak
2nd Gear
Talk to Jan!!!! He's got the best prices hands down!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
I'm going to retain my stock flywheel(should not need resurfacing I hope) and spend the extra $500+ bucks on a lighter flywheel and backing plate for my turbo mini traveler restoration instead. I've yet to find a kit with an uprated disc and slightly higher sprung pressure plate that will work with the stock flywheel. Is that an option or am I stuck with OEM stuff?

Has anybody tried either of these LUK OEM clutch kit part #'s? Apparently they both work for the MCS up to a production date of 07-00-04. So what's the difference?

W0133-1665878

W0133-1665877

My Cooper S has an Oct 2003 build date. Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
My OBX ATB diff arrived today. Here are a few low quality pics. I'll be stripping it down and inspecting it this weekend.

Anybody using either of the two LUK OEM clutch kits in previous post?

Jeremy

Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Ok I'm still flip flopping around with the flywheel and clutch set-up. I found that JSC Speed has some decent pricing on flywheels and clutch kits. I've fired off an email to RMW regarding their clutch masters flywheels/clutch kits. The last thing I want to see is an iffy stock flywheel friction surface and me only having on hand an OEM clutch kit. We'll see....

I'm off to strip the OBX down now.

Jeremy

Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
I've corresponded with Jan at RMW and I'm leaning towards a clutch masters set-up for the upcoming diff/clutch/flywheel swap. His pricing is indeed attractive.

After hanging with my girlfriend this afternoon, I managed to strip down and take a peek at the OBX ATB diff components. See pics below.

2 out of 9 cap bolts(M8 40mm by 1.25) where not @ 30 ft/lbs. 1 freed-up @ 29 and the last freed-up @ 33. I started @ 25 and worked my way around in a cross pattern. I went up in 1 ft/lbs increments. The last @ 33 could have been sticking due to the sprung force from the 7 belleville washers tipping the diff housing.

1 of 7 Belleville washers has a tiny cut edge.

Both output gears are chamfered on front and machined on backside to allow install/removal of half shafts.

The only thing of minor concern to me are the trans fluid oil ways. I will drill/file them out to allow for full fluid movement.

Jeremy

Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 AM
rbryant
Neutral
Great job on the writeup.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 AM
spdfreak
2nd Gear
JHIGGS26: did you reuse your stock parts ie belville washers or did you use new ones?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
I've yet to install the diff. I'll post a bunch of pics when I pull my motor and do the clutch, cam and diff. I'll slip in a new tensioner and thermostat while the motor's out too.

I've asked Crrikey if he had 7 belleville washers installed from the OBX factory too; along with their condition. He's doing a clutch/flywheel/OBX lsd install currently.

I passed on all sizing of my hardware to Rbryant. He is looking into stocking socket head cap bolts and belleville washers for us MINI owners that try the OBX ATB diff.

Jeremy

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for the aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

the dual mass stock S flywheel is a pig (almost 30 lbs) and a more than infrequent failure spot. It's also pretty expensive.

Thanks for showing the opened up OBX.

Matt

Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Yeah Matt I think I will. I'll just have to refresh more of my oldie Mini parts in my basement and sell em off for $$$ for my(and my dad's) 1961 turbo mini wagon build.

You went with the ACT clutch/flywheel and Quaife diff as per MC2 magazine. How many resurfaces can you get out of that ACT flywheel(if you're mistreating it)? And are you loving that diff or what?

Jeremy

Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM
5th Gear
My obx had 7 washers and one with a chip slightly larger than yours. I only put 6 washers back in. I was more concerned with the chipped washer braking and the lack of washer symmetry (7), than the small amount of prelaoad it would of addded. I don't know if makes a difference t have it in.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
rbryant
Neutral
Originally Posted by 002
My obx had 7 washers and one with a chip slightly larger than yours. I only put 6 washers back in. I was more concerned with the chipped washer braking and the lack of washer symmetry (7), than the small amount of prelaoad it would of addded. I don't know if makes a difference t have it in.
Make sure that the washers have preload... If both came with 7 then perhaps they need that many. The dodge OBX units are starting to come with 5 and don't seem to even fit 6 while others need 6 washers (and they all used to come with 6)...

Don't worry about the stack, they will sit just fine in the retainer with the ()()()( configuration.

-Rich

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Ok CRRIKEY is getting his OBX this Friday and he's going to do a belleville washer count/looksie for us to compare.

I've priced out a few other parts for this job through my local MINI Service Shop:

Thermostat. $49.
Thermostat housing gasket. inc
Transmission output flange seals. $20
Rear main oil seal. $34.
Differential tapered roller bearings. $25 ea x2
Valve cover gasket. $20
Service position hood prop extension tools. BMW tool # 51 2 160. no price listing for those, I have them and don't use them, not necessary
Camshaft locking tool. BMW tool # 11 8 250. $176.

$49 Canadian Dollars for a freaking thermostat!!! At least the gasket is included! What's this world coming to.

My camshaft arrives this Friday along with an exhaust manifold gasket. The only thing left is to finalize my clutch/flywheel arrangement.

Jeremy

Last edited by jhiggs26; 03-13-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Size/font issue with copy/pasting procedure. haha
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rbryant
Make sure that the washers have preload... If both came with 7 then perhaps they need that many. The dodge OBX units are starting to come with 5 and don't seem to even fit 6 while others need 6 washers (and they all used to come with 6)...

Don't worry about the stack, they will sit just fine in the retainer with the ()()()( configuration.

-Rich
There was plenty of preload, so I went with my gut. Your picture of the washers may look like there is a significant amount of spacing lost without the left most washer, but it is only the outer edges of the washers that touch sun gears. So, the extra washer only adds the distance of the thickness of one washer to the stack.

Note that there will be little if any difference in spacing when using this stacking method, ))()()( compared to your suggested ()()()(. The effective unloaded length is virtually the same. The former appearing to me to be more stable as the latter looks like the two left washers could easily unseat and/or crack each other. Perhaps, how ours came to be missing chunks. That was more of a concern to me than the 1mm of extra space.

These are just my opinions and I haven't put a huge amount research behind it, but I thought I should share why I chose to do it that way. If I install new washers, I may add one more.

I am curious to see how other installs turn out. Good luck to you all.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 AM
steve11
3rd Gear
Great info in this thread.
Keep the details of the OBX install coming please Jeremy & be sure to give us some feedback once it's finalised.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
rbryant
Neutral
Originally Posted by 002
There was plenty of preload, so I went with my gut. Your picture of the washers may look like there is a significant amount of spacing lost without the left most washer, but it is only the outer edges of the washers that touch sun gears. So, the extra washer only adds the distance of the thickness of one washer to the stack.

Note that there will be little if any difference in spacing when using this stacking method, ))()()( compared to your suggested ()()()(. The effective unloaded length is virtually the same. The former appearing to me to be more stable as the latter looks like the two left washers could easily unseat and/or crack each other. Perhaps, how ours came to be missing chunks. That was more of a concern to me than the 1mm of extra space.

These are just my opinions and I haven't put a huge amount research behind it, but I thought I should share why I chose to do it that way. If I install new washers, I may add one more.

I am curious to see how other installs turn out. Good luck to you all.
If the center of the outside washer isn't touching then you are correct.

Either way even if you don't get them from me replace those washers.

Take note of the top picture that someone sent me of how they arrived for them:

These were how the washers were before they ever even installed the diff....

-Rich

Old 03-14-2008, 06:05 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
I ordered a CM aluminium flywheel and FX200 clutch kit from RMW yesterday.

Here are a few pics of the Ultrik camshaft that showed up yesterday. 1st pic is of the dual intake lobes for cylinder #1. 2nd pic is of the wide single exhaust lobes of cylinder #1 and #2. The last pic is of the intake/exhaust overlap on cylinder #2.

Jeremy

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Lube that sucker up

and slap it in! It's a pretty easy swap....

Matt

Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Matt a couple of questions for you:
1) Did you use an assembly lube or just apply engine oil generously?

2) For the cam sprocket bolt did you use the camshaft locking tool/make one or just put her in 6th gear with brake applied?

Jeremy

Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I used an assembly lube

It's a bit gooier and I didn't know how long it would take to do the job.

I also just used 6th gear with the brake applied. But unless your legs are long, you'll need a buddy to press the brake. I had my wife do it, she's nice that way...

The pain is the tensioner piston. I did take it out of the block, and getting that cover bolt loose was a royat PITA. I though my socket had busted. I used a belt tensioner tool with a bunch of blue tape on it to release the piston, but other have said that oil pressure will do it on it's own.

Matt

Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
It's a bit gooier and I didn't know how long it would take to do the job.

I also just used 6th gear with the brake applied. But unless your legs are long, you'll need a buddy to press the brake. I had my wife do it, she's nice that way...

The pain is the tensioner piston. I did take it out of the block, and getting that cover bolt loose was a royat PITA. I though my socket had busted. I used a belt tensioner tool with a bunch of blue tape on it to release the piston, but other have said that oil pressure will do it on it's own.

Matt
I'll free-up the camshaft sprocket bolt before I pull the motor. I should have easy access to the tensioner plunger then!

Jeremy

Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Here's the Clutch Masters Flywheel and FX200 Kit that showed up today from RMW!

Looks like I'll pull the motor in early May as I can borrow a vehicle for a few days while I tinker with my MINI. I may fire in the cam soon though as it's itching to go in!

Jeremy

Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
spdfreak
2nd Gear
Plan on at least 15hrs. Took me and my buddy 18hrs. or 2 full days.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX ATB Diff, Clutch, and Cam