R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 DSC Light and Service Engine Soon.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
jay80424
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC Light and Service Engine Soon.

So Toady I was driving on a snow packed road (they are all snow packed here right now). Gave it some gas to get a feel for how the DSC works. The DSC light flashed while it was working. After a few tries with that periodically, the DSC light stayed solid. I couldn't turn it off (DSC on) with the toggle. When I turned the car off, and them back on later, the DSC light was off.

Then tonight coming home (7 degrees outside if it makes any difference, car warmed up), I have it some gas, and the DSC blinked. Then stayed solid, then the "Service Engine Soon" light came on.

I drove the rest of the way home Temp stayed right in the middle. In my driveway, I popped the gas a little and when the engine reved down, I heard a little backfire, but not the loud "pop" you would think of, the burble as if I had a aftermarket exhaust. I've never heard that sound before, but then again, I never listened, and I've only had the Mini for a few days.

The closest Mini dealer is a 4 hour round trip, so I want to rule out anything silly before I take it in.

The only thing I've done is put snow tires on (with rims) add a M7 STB (without the bar) and a skidplate. I did all this yesterday.

Any advice/insight would be appreciated. Thanks

'06 MSC JCW, 6 Spd, 24k miles

Last edited by jay80424; 01-31-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 PM
sgabela
Neutral
engine maintenace light and dcs light on

I have the same lights on in a S 2003,
I did some checks and I found some problems.
with a obdII I was not able to reset the lights.
lost power in the engine that lead me to perform a compression check, as a result number one cyl, had 60 and the others 150, next I check for leakage and as result I found air come out of number 2 cyl and the oil service point.
posible head gastket blown. since I haven fix it yet I m pretty sure that is the problem. I was told to change the head gasket and the head bolts.
major chanllenge to fix it, since is out warranty I have to find a good place to do it. Mini dealers are to far away and mucho $$$.
Good luck with yours

Old 02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
JAGFIXER
2nd Gear
When you spin tires in the snow the DSC light will come on and reset with a key off and restart. When the Service light comes on at the same time, you might have spun both wheels and tapped the rev limiter which lights the SES light. Has it reset itself on new startup?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
jay80424
3rd Gear
The DSC light ususally comes on and stays on after spinning tires in snow. This may be normal??? but I don't know. Sometimes it blinks, (and is doing it's thing as I can feel the lack of power to the wheels) and turns off. Sometimes it blinks, and stays on. Then the only way to get it to reset is turn the car off. This may be normal operation, I don't know, but it seems strange to me that the DSc can't be turned back on without shutting off the car. This happens with the most minor acceleration, just going up a hill, not in even the most remotely dangerous or taxing situation.

The SEL light just randomly comes on too. No way near the rev limiter. Last night I was driving home, snow packed road, 15 degrees out. 20 MPH, at about 2,000 rpm, flat road, not really on the gas, kind of coasting. SEL comes on, just like that.

The SEL ususally resets itself at startup. But sometimes it will not, but then turn itself off mid drive.

Any more ideas? It's really strange.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
[
The SEL ususally resets itself at startup. But sometimes it will not, but then turn itself off mid drive.

Any more ideas? It's really strange.[/quote]

I have a 2005 MCSC that had a SES light problem. It would come on while on cruise at 70 mph and stay on for 200 - 300 miles then go off for about 100 miles and then go on again. Since I could never get to my dealership with the light on, my dealership told me to start using "top tier" gasoline and it would correct itself - wrong! However I had two other dealerships (Roadshow & Schomp) tell me I had a bad knock sensor. It took a phone call to MINIUSA to get the problem solved - guess what ? They replaced the knock sensor and have not had a problem since.

Good Luck
MsBrit

Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
Jag, what's this about tapping the rev limit make the SES light come on? I bounce of mine like a pogo stick all day. No light for me. Anyone else?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear
I had a similar thing happen this morning on my way in to work, however, my car would not rev past 2k rpm in any gear. I had it towed back to the closest MINI dealer to me. I hope it's just bad knock sensor, too.

Btw, I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I did put some "cheaper" 91 octane gas in my car on Saturday...

Old 02-05-2008, 01:58 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
The same thing happened to me in my Cooper S on the way HOME from the dealer.... They had the car for a couple days and said "one of the sensors came loose".

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 993
I had a similar thing happen this morning on my way in to work, however, my car would not rev past 2k rpm in any gear. I had it towed back to the closest MINI dealer to me. I hope it's just bad knock sensor, too.

Btw, I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I did put some "cheaper" 91 octane gas in my car on Saturday...
That usually means that it went into "limp" mode. I don't know how the ecu determines when it is appropriate to go into "limp" mode, but I've seen some threads on it.