1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My windshield wiper motor died in a storm at night!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My windshield wiper motor died in a storm at night!!

I took my Mini to Mini of Manhattan and they wanted $800 to fix it!! I also got an estimate at Prestige Mini in New Jersey and they wanted $600, so I decided to buy the parts and fix it myself. It looks like a crazy job, anyone with any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The hood and front cowl panel has to be removed, unless you have the proper tools and experience with this type of work, you would be better off leaving it to a proffessional. Especially someone who has done this before, it is mostly body part removal. If you have to ask, you probably should not risk it. There is a bolt at the lower A-pillar, behind the trim panel, that needs to be CAREFULLY cut and knocked loose, and expect to break most of the clips at the lower windshield trim. I wish I had pics to show you what this job looks like . The last one I did, I charged $485 total, so $600 for a dealer to do it sounds almost reasonable.
--Dan

Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it helps, I've always been very pleased with the work I've had done at Prestige, in case you decide to go with the dealer repair.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
So the clips need to be replaced after removal (or most of them anyway)? I would take it to a dealer if I could afford this, but I don't have much of a choice. Any information you have would be very helpful.

Which body parts do I need to remove? Do I have to remove the hood or just the trim panel? Can you estimate how long this might take...(I am pretty good with cars, I usually fix my cars myself)

Old 10-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
The reason the dealers charge as much as they do, is because it is a hateful job, even with the right tools. I do not hava enough time to write a how-to now, but if you call me 336-476-8551, I will run through the steps, and you can decide if you still want to do this yourself
--Dan

Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta love British-assembled electrical systems! The Prince of Darkness lives!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
That sounds great Dan, thanks! What is the best time to call, I am in New York. Are you in North Carolina?

Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
That is my business number, I am here from 9-6 every day.
--Dan

Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 AM
minimort
5th Gear
I'm not trying to throw a damper on anyone's business, as you're in it to make money, but I replaced my front wiper motor this morning and it only took 30min.

You don't need to remove the hood or the cowl or cut any bolts or anything.

It takes only a 13mm socket, a deep 10mm socket, a 10mm wrench, and a flathead screwdriver.

1.) Remove the drivers side cowl vent. This takes the flat head as there are 3 clips on the top which need to be popped.

2.) Undo the 13mm nut holding the linkage to the motor. This will probably require you to move the linkage out of the way to remove.

3.) Undo 3 10mm bolts. You can use the socket on the top 2, but it is easiest to remove the lower one with the wrench.

4.) Remove the motor via the left side of the bracket. This takes a bit of manuvering, but should only take about 5 minutes max.

5.) Unclip the wiring harness from the motor.

6.) Install using the reverse of the directions above.

When installing everything back, it is important to make sure the wipers and linkage are set in the "off" position, otherwise when the motor completes a cycle, they may not end up in this position.

There you go, that's how it is done. Not too much time, and no reason to spend any more $$ than the parts themselves cost.