1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car, Old Member. JCW R53

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
New Car, Old Member. JCW R53

Hey All,

I recently purchased a 2006 factory John Cooper Works Mini Cooper S. It's got some nice options, I'm just not used to new cars yet.

I live in the Lancaster area, so I'm going to put the car in the garage for the winter now that I've purchased it. Hopefully I can attend an event in the spring.

New Car, Old Member.  JCW R53-cw5168v.jpg

New Car, Old Member.  JCW R53-7h8dkkg.jpg

I did a Bucks County Covered Bridge Run in a buddy's Mini years ago, something like 2005-2006. I think it was PhillyMini but I'm not sure. It was a lot of fun.

Prior to this car I had a 1990 Miata, which I loved but I needed something more functional. The community and aftermarket for Miatas is incredible, I'm hoping Minis turn out to be the same. My new Mini has 64,xxx miles on it, I plan to keep it mostly stock. It will be a summer/nice weather only vehicle, I have my truck for the snow and bad weather. It's got some paint correction issues but overall it's in very good shape and everything functions as it should except the remote keys are dead.

I also ride. This past summer I rode to LA and back with a friend over the course of a month. We did The Dragon and Cherohala Skyway on the way out. Miatas at The Gap is a big event, I would like to do Minis at the Dragon.

Come springtime, I'll get a second set of wheels with some sticky tires and possibly run Autocross at Hershey and/or one of the Philly locations. Maybe a new exhaust too, the JCW exhaust isn't loud enough for my taste.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Wow - great looking car. JCW brakes, Chrono pack (or NAV?), factory driving lights ... like it!!!

I think my favorite color combo for an R53 is the chili red with the chili red roof!!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Super clean, Nice JCW find. We have a JCW thread running here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nt-03-jcw.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
It is clean, but today it threw an engine code. P0326, for the knock sensor.

Is this what Mini ownership is like?....

Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
It is clean, but today it threw an engine code. P0326, for the knock sensor.

Is this what Mini ownership is like?....
Yes

Old 12-21-2016, 06:45 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
This is going to be a love/hate relationship.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is going to be a love/hate relationship.
Knock knock......who's there? Mini Cooper, lol. You're be fine, these cars are easy to figure out and we are all here to help you.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R53

Looks great, congrats on a nice find! I picked up an R53 this year and just love it. Any questions, please ask!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:18 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi Derek,
Really nice looking Mini S.
The knock sensor may have tripped due to crappie fuel. It is so important to only use high quality premium in it.
We all need a good scan gauge to diagnose all those little irritating codes that can pop up.
About the key fobs: They charge while you are driving. It is a good idea to use both, every other driving session, to keep them charged up.
I am a fan of 05 and 06 Mini S models. I drive an 05 S with chrono package and I am looking for a really nice 06 S JCW with chrono package, as a replacement for the 05.
I too have a 4x4 winter truck, as backup, but I do drive my 05 S most of the year.
You have a great find and I know you will love it!

Old 01-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
I believe the knock sensor code was as a result of poor fuel quality. I cleared it and it hasn't come back. I am getting an intermittent emissions vapor leak code around then I get gas, leading me to believe the gas cap seal is on its way out.

I replace the battery in one of my keys and I didn't even have to re-sync it with the car, it just started working again! The key fob batteries were definitely shot when I bought the car. I'll have to do the second key sometime in the future.

I also ordered an engine mount to replace the one leaking hydraulic fluid.

Last edited by Derek86; 01-02-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 PM
ItsmeWayne
I believe the knock sensor code was as a result of poor fuel quality. I cleared it and it hasn't come back. I am getting an intermittent emissions vapor leak code around then I get gas, leading me to believe the gas cap seal is on its way out.

I replace the battery in one of my keys and I didn't even have to re-sync it with the car, it just started working again! The key's batteries were definitely shot when I bough the car. I'll have to do the second key sometime in the future.

I also ordered an engine mount to replace the one leaking hydraulic fluid.
You will get that code, if the gas cap is leaking and if you look at the O-ring, you will see cracks in it and that will be the culprit!

I am looking at a 06 Mini S JCW right now. I hope I am successful in getting it! It is Hyper Blue with silver top. Wish me luck!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
You will get that code, if the gas cap is leaking and if you look at the O-ring, you will see cracks in it and that will be the culprit!

I am looking at a 06 Mini S JCW right now. I hope I am successful in getting it! It is Hyper Blue with silver top. Wish me luck!
I pulled my gas cap and cleaned, inspected everything. it's probably a good idea on a 10 year old car.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
No knock sensor code return, still getting a pretty regular "very small" evap leak code. I have some corrosion on the metal filler neck there the gas cap seal contacts it, so I need to clean that off.

I had the resonator removed on my JCW exhaust. I had a replacement mid-pipe fabricated with a clamp so I can change them in and out myself. Sounds better but it's still pretty quiet.

I also painted my mirror caps black and the lettering on my fog lights white. I'll have to get a picture.

I have a replacement engine mount but haven't changed it yet, winter sucks. I also have a lengthy list of things to check off to get myself on a maintenance schedule. When winter final decides to leave.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:54 PM
ItsmeWayne
No knock sensor code return, still getting a pretty regular "very small" evap leak code. I have some corrosion on the metal filler neck there the gas cap seal contacts it, so I need to clean that off.

I had the resonator removed on my JCW exhaust. I had a replacement mid-pipe fabricated with a clamp so I can change them in and out myself. Sounds better but it's still pretty quiet.

I also painted my mirror caps black and the lettering on my fog lights white. I'll have to get a picture.

I have a replacement engine mount but haven't changed it yet, winter sucks. I also have a lengthy list of things to check off to get myself on a maintenance schedule. When winter final decides to leave.
I know what you mean, about winter sucks. We have been getting snow (38 inches last week) and more coming this week 1/22/17

this is not all we got

In fact they are saying not since 1919!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Minime84
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great looking car and color by the way! I have a 06 chili red myself but its just an S and mine has the black mirrors and top. Happy motoring!