1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Newb — what to look for when buying used?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 AM
amongmany
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Newb — what to look for when buying used?

Hey there motorers! My wife and I are considering a used Mini soon and I'd love some advice on what to look for, what to avoid, any maintenance issues to be aware of, etc.

I'm primarily interested in a Cooper S hardtop, 6sp. I personally prefer the R53 body style, but would definitely consider a later model as well. Budget would be up to $10k. Any advice? Any model years to avoid? Any specific issues to have a dealer inspect before purchasing? Any expensive maintenance that I should ensure has been completed?

Thanks!

Last edited by amongmany; 10-25-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I don't know enough to advise you, but this question has been asked and answered here many times. I would wait for a Calif. car without winter salt issues, rust, etc.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM
amongmany
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I don't know enough to advise you, but this question has been asked and answered here many times. I would wait for a Calif. car without winter salt issues, rust, etc.
I assumed it had, but a search didn't reveal quite the information I was looking for.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:32 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would you buy a car exposed to NY winters when can find one rust free in Ca.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM
amongmany
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sherman89
Why would you buy a car exposed to NY winters when can find one rust free in Ca.
For a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that we may need to drive instead of fly out West. Regardless, the information I'm trying to learn has little to do with which location we choose to purchase the car in. I'm primarily trying to learn from this knowledgable community about what issues I should consider or specifically ask about when buying a used Mini Cooper S.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
New MINI Owner

Originally Posted by amongmany
For a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that we may need to drive instead of fly out West. Regardless, the information I'm trying to learn has little to do with which location we choose to purchase the car in. I'm primarily trying to learn from this knowledgable community about what issues I should consider or specifically ask about when buying a used Mini Cooper S.
Hi amongmany, welcome to NAM! Drive serveral different models and years to get a feel for what you like. The non-turbocharged models of almost every year are reliable and popular. For more oomph the supercharged and turbocharged models are the way to go.

As has been pointed out on NAM many times, the 2004-2006 R53 Cooper S are among the most popular, getting harder to find, and becoming collectible. Newer models from 2011 on are more comfy and larger, and some come with extended warranties. However, many will say they lost the flavor of the orginal Classic Mini and the R53 captures it the best.

Just a matter of personal opinion. Please feel free to visit our site for articles and application guides, and ask any questions you like. We've been doing this for over 40 years on the street and track.

My personal R53 came North from Texas, so it's very possible to buy a "southern" MINI in the North.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:59 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If going R53, '05 and '06 is the sweet spot. I got both of mine in the NorthEast and they're both fine.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:31 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I have a northeast car and a southern car, the northeast car has more surface rust on bolts and crap, look for a southern car first

Old 10-26-2016, 06:35 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
You might read through the First Gen Buyer's Guide on Motoring File, found here.

I'd also recommend a PPI (pre-purchase inspection), especially if the car is not at a MINI dealer. A dealer or indie shop with MINI or Euro car experience should be able to do a PPI and uncover any issues not visible from the outside/above the car. IMO it's $125ish well-spent.

As for years, I'd look at '05 - '06 S (R53), or 2011+ R56S. The latter cars are turbocharged, but supposedly suffer fewer issues than the '07 - '10 S cars.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by fridayxiii; 10-26-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:44 AM
amongmany
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
You might read through the First Gen Buyer's Guide on Motoring File, found here.

I'd also recommend a PPI (pre-purchase inspection), especially if the car is not at a MINI dealer. A dealer or indie shop with MINI or Euro car experience should be able to do a PPI and uncover any issues not visible from the outside/above the car. IMO it's $125ish well-spent.

As for years, I'd look at '05 - '06 S (R53), or 2011+ R56S. The latter cars are turbocharged, but supposedly suffer fewer issues than the '07 - '10 S cars.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks, the Motoring File articles was a great read.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Some good info here already. Yes, for the R53 I'd stick with either a 2005 or 2006 MCS. Be sure to check out our tech articles on our site. They cover common problem areas and fixes. Good luck with your search and if you find any prospects be sure to post them up for us to see.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-05-2016, 09:24 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hey there motorers! My wife and I are considering a used Mini soon and I'd love some advice on what to look for, what to avoid, any maintenance issues to be aware of, etc.

I'm primarily interested in a Cooper S hardtop, 6sp. I personally prefer the R53 body style, but would definitely consider a later model as well. Budget would be up to $10k. Any advice? Any model years to avoid? Any specific issues to have a dealer inspect before purchasing? Any expensive maintenance that I should ensure has been completed?

Thanks!
Hi amongmany,
I buy and sell Minis and what I see as common problems are: needs brakes, air and cabin filter change, AC clutches are often dead, wheel bearing packs need replacing,gen one automatics are very problematic (2002-2006 and convertibles to 2008. They singly have given Mini's a bad name)
Other than auto tranny issues, they are quite good cars and are a joy to own and drive. The base models are getting usually around 39 to 44mpgs.
The S models are getting from about 25 to 32 mpgs. The 2002 to 2006 S models are supercharged, while the 2007 and later are turbo charged.
I have very little problems with engines and manual transmission cars.
The airbag seat pressure switch on the passenger side, seems to go out and cause the airbag light to stay on. The engine cooling fan controller can be bad and cause codes and also the loos of AC, even though there is no real problem with the AC.
I have seen several of these cars above the 300K miles and a couple with 400K miles and still running.
Make sure to only use synthetic oils and change and reset oil change light, when it is called for. (oil is considered the slow rebuild, as it keeps the engine going and going!
best of luck on you buy!

Old 11-05-2016, 02:57 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Avoid the following:

2007 – 2010 R56 S model (N14 engine)
2009 – 2010 R57 S model convertible (N14 engine)
2008 – 2010 R55S Clubman S (N14 engine)
Also - the JCW used the N14 thru 2012

I will say that most problems are with the early N14 engines...the later years don't seem to have as many issues.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 AM
amongmany
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi amongmany,
I buy and sell Minis and what I see as common problems are: needs brakes, air and cabin filter change, AC clutches are often dead, wheel bearing packs need replacing,gen one automatics are very problematic (2002-2006 and convertibles to 2008. They singly have given Mini's a bad name)
Other than auto tranny issues, they are quite good cars and are a joy to own and drive. The base models are getting usually around 39 to 44mpgs.
The S models are getting from about 25 to 32 mpgs. The 2002 to 2006 S models are supercharged, while the 2007 and later are turbo charged.
I have very little problems with engines and manual transmission cars.
The airbag seat pressure switch on the passenger side, seems to go out and cause the airbag light to stay on. The engine cooling fan controller can be bad and cause codes and also the loos of AC, even though there is no real problem with the AC.
I have seen several of these cars above the 300K miles and a couple with 400K miles and still running.
Make sure to only use synthetic oils and change and reset oil change light, when it is called for. (oil is considered the slow rebuild, as it keeps the engine going and going!
best of luck on you buy!
Thanks, this is extremely helpful!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:44 AM
amongmany
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
Avoid the following:

2007 – 2010 R56 S model (N14 engine)
2009 – 2010 R57 S model convertible (N14 engine)
2008 – 2010 R55S Clubman S (N14 engine)
Also - the JCW used the N14 thru 2012

I will say that most problems are with the early N14 engines...the later years don't seem to have as many issues.
What was wrong with the N14 engine?

Old 11-08-2016, 06:55 AM
Junior Mini NC
Neutral
What was wrong with the N14 engine?
The earlier N14 engines just had a lot of, um, "quirks". You'll often hear people with the N14 engines having yearly issues (timing belts, lots of oil usage, loss of power for seemingly no reason, etc, etc, etc). I believe this to be issues with QA, but that is only my opinion.

Personally, my 2011 R57 S was not too bad comparatively (N16 engine).

With our current 2009 R55 S (N14), we have already had to replace the oil pump, vacuum pump, and timing belt (including the pulleys). We just hit 80,000 and I haven't experienced anything else so far. To be fair, we've only had him for about a month now. So, that could change.

[EDIT]: One thing I always tell new Mini owners is 2 things that you need to just accept with owning a Mini; You WILL eat tires (a lot of us go through tires every 10K miles; TWISTIES!!!) and the Check Engine Light will haunt your dreams (and your waking moments too). However, I would never say that either of those two points should dissuade someone from owning a Mini.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:40 PM
amongmany
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Junior Mini NC
The earlier N14 engines just had a lot of, um, "quirks". You'll often hear people with the N14 engines having yearly issues (timing belts, lots of oil usage, loss of power for seemingly no reason, etc, etc, etc). I believe this to be issues with QA, but that is only my opinion.

Personally, my 2011 R57 S was not too bad comparatively (N16 engine).

With our current 2009 R55 S (N14), we have already had to replace the oil pump, vacuum pump, and timing belt (including the pulleys). We just hit 80,000 and I haven't experienced anything else so far. To be fair, we've only had him for about a month now. So, that could change.

[EDIT]: One thing I always tell new Mini owners is 2 things that you need to just accept with owning a Mini; You WILL eat tires (a lot of us go through tires every 10K miles; TWISTIES!!!) and the Check Engine Light will haunt your dreams (and your waking moments too). However, I would never say that either of those two points should dissuade someone from owning a Mini.
Got it, thanks.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I'd be very cautious about cars with "mods"

and the more mods, the more wary ....

modifications often means driven HARD, possibly auto-crossed or tracked ... that's not the used car I'd want to buy.

wheels not-MINI is not a worry, but suspension changes can be an indicator. Got a pulley and an intake and a diverter ..... Houston we MAY have a problem

You should also bone up on some details mentioned here ...

Supercharged versus turbo charged

what's a "pulley" and a CAI

R5what?????

GEN1 or GEN2 .....

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_model_designations

Nwhat????? http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper...son_N14_vs_N18

I had a bought new off the lot 2002-S and kept it for over 100,000 miles ... went thru two fan controller assemblies, one a/c compressor, tires about every 25,000 and brake pads almost as fast. And I'm NOT a hard driver. Note this is first year of GEN1 as sold in the US, they only came with 6sp back then

Next I had a 2007-S, first year of GEN2 with the N-14; also a 6sp. Drove this one for around 90,000. Had to replace the thermostat housing at around 65,000 but that was the ONLY mechanical repair the entire time. Brake pads, rotors and tire wear similar to the 2002 and I actually drove less (retired).

Spousal unit recently bought an R59 - the Roadster ... a 2015 orphan on the lot that we got for WAY off sticker. It hasn't been back to the dealer yet ....

do you do your own maintenance? The oil changes on all my MINI are a lil funky .... not something I trust to Jiffy Lube and I do my own except when under pre-paid maintenance (for warranty purposes I have the dealer do what the computer says to do). If you don't have the desire or a facility to DIY you should identify a MINI smart shop near you. Not having one close can be an issue. At the end of my time with my 2002 my son had it at school and when he needed maintenance we could not find a MINI savvy mechanic within a 2 hour drive ...... p.s. BMW dealers will NOT work on a MINI IME, but an independent BMW mechanic probably will know his way around the car.

Mini =
Name:  miniparade.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  89.8 KB

MINI =
Name:  dragon4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  130.5 KB
or maybe
Name:  DSC00242.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  142.0 KB

or even
Name:  roadster%202_zps35skmuje.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  97.2 KB

but MINI does NOT equal Mini to some of us .... luv 'em both ... but DIFFERENT

Last edited by Capt_bj; 11-08-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Mini Newb

Great info, Capt. Thanks for the links. That's great your R56 never had the dreaded rattle. Love the roadster, going to have to get me one of them someday.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.