1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Chili Red Clubman S for Mom

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Panik
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Chili Red Clubman S for Mom

Hi all! Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself as I have a feeling I will be frequenting the forum on a very regular basis..... because well we did a DUMB thing.

Mom's been driving a 2006 Kia Sorento that finally needed more repairs than its worth. She had been having trouble getting into and out of it because of the height and had wanted something fun as this is likely her last car.

All that being said we purchased a loaded 2011 Chili Red Clubman with 112,000 miles for right at Edmunds/Kelley Blue Book reasonable purchase price. The dumb thing, which I know better than to do, was to purchase the vehicle without getting it checked by a independent shop or calling a mini-dealer and running the VIN. We just went on the VIN records and a test drive - First and last time we do that!

Needless to say the vehicle is already back at the dealer (Dodge/Chrysler) for a check engine light (yellow). On the questionably plus side when I called the regional mini dealer to request a records fax I found that the timing chain and the water pump have already been replaced.

My feeble hope at the moment is that most of the high wear/known issues on this vehicle have been repaired, however that may well be a pipe dream. In any case its not like I haven't been down the road of finicky/expensive maintenance vehicles. My wife loves and daily drives a heavily modded '00 Disco II, and yes I am on first name basis with the owner and mechanics at our independent LR shop.

Fortunately the Clubman (Kenzie - as named by the family) isn't going to be a daily driver. It will likely see usage a couple times a week in a rural setting. All that being said does anyone have any recommendations for good friendly independent service shops in NW Ga., or NW Atlanta?

Thanks for the read!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM
ggrimm01
1st Gear
Welcome to the club

I would update your Signature with all the detail you can about the car. Also if you do not get a response in this section you can also try R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+). This is a R56 2nd Gen. Additionally look up walnut bead blasting and read up on it. Depending on driving habits this will need to be completed on the car every 40,000 - 60,000 miles. This will save you a lot of grief in the long run. Also in the 2nd Gen forums you can read up and gather what the normal wear items are. Their is a lot of knowledge here in the forums and a lot of friendly people to help out.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Yes, next time around make sure to get a good PPI done and as many service records you can get for the history of what has been done. Sorry about your troubles with Kenzie so far, but hopefully you get them sorted and you start enjoying it soon. This forum will also be very helpful to you for future repairs/fixes. If you have any questions or need any help, be sure to ask!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Panik
Neutral
LOL - yup should've done a PPI. First time I've let emotions seriously trample logic while purchasing a vehicle. Well, its an experience I'll never repeat and hopefully not one that I will regret for a long time to come.

Actually I've already been looking into walnut shell cleaning. The 5.3L in my truck is direct injection. I had previously been reading up on that process and filing in the back of my head for future reference when the truck got up in miles. Looks like I might get a bit of experience in the process sooner than later. I Just got done installing a ProVent 200 oil/water separator on it and assuming Kenzie stays with us I will be installing a catch can on her very quickly.

Thanks for the welcome and pointing me to the R56 sub forum. I've already got a couple questions I need to research. Y'all sound like a nice bunch of folks and I've enjoyed the reading and lurking I did prior to signing up.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome, having it looked at ahead of time and getting up on the rack save you money in the short and long run.

But I am glad you have it . Post up some pics. I am here to help.

For the Carbon blasting the N18 Cooper S ( On you 2011 Clubman S ) engine does not seem to have as much carbon build up as the older N14 engine. But here is the link for the carbon blaster info and DIY.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

Good luck and enjoy your new Clubman.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Panik
LOL - yup should've done a PPI. First time I've let emotions seriously trample logic while purchasing a vehicle. Well, its an experience I'll never repeat and hopefully not one that I will regret for a long time to come.

Actually I've already been looking into walnut shell cleaning. The 5.3L in my truck is direct injection. I had previously been reading up on that process and filing in the back of my head for future reference when the truck got up in miles. Looks like I might get a bit of experience in the process sooner than later. I Just got done installing a ProVent 200 oil/water separator on it and assuming Kenzie stays with us I will be installing a catch can on her very quickly.

Thanks for the welcome and pointing me to the R56 sub forum. I've already got a couple questions I need to research. Y'all sound like a nice bunch of folks and I've enjoyed the reading and lurking I did prior to signing up.
The R55 Clubman section here will also be your area for any other research or questions you have about your MINI. This thread on NAM here has some good information about carbon build up in the N18 Clubman engine. Helix points out some good info about a catch can at post #6.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST