1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who can I believe anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:47 AM
really huge
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who can I believe anymore?

So here's my update.... took my mini to dealership because whatever was happening with my steering may have been covered if it had anything to do with powersteering pump. (replaced about a year ago). Turns out it was steering shaft. Rear brakes were toast, I said yeah let's do them, and oil change as well. 1340.00 They pull of back wheels and say all 8 bolts are stripped on studs. I had all 4 bearing assemblies replaced in March by an independent I've been going to. I did use aftermarket bearings, and he immediately brought to my attention I would have to get a different size and pitch lug. Fine, done. I had no issues until the wheels were taken off at Mini.
W.T. capital F? Mini wanted to replace rear hubs complete for only 1400.00
Independent offered to pick up car and fix what is wrong. I've got one mechanic blaming the other. When did becoming the "customer" go for such a ****? I've been a tradesmen for 20 + years. I have no intentions of misleading my customers. That doesn't bring me new customers. I'm starting to have a really hard time saying honest and mechanic in the same sentence.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear about the headache you're dealing with. Maybe post in the regional forum here and see if anyone has a good suggestion for a reputable indy MINI shop in your area that can better assist you with this issue. Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 AM
really huge
2nd Gear
Factory trained...really ?

So, cars back, not without the headaches. Only took to dealer because steering issue, if related to pump, would have been covered. Turns out to be steering rack. So, they procede to check all and tell me rear lugs are all stripped. The mechanic that did bearings for me ( who I trust) picks up the car on his flatbed, and brings it to his shop. Keep in mind, Mini has "finished" fixing steering issue, rear brakes, oil change. My mechanic says pitch on lugs may have been out 1000 of an inch. He replaces bolts, retaps bearings at his expense, puts back together and drops car off at my house. We get home from weekend and phone message from him says I might want to check steering wheel ? Mini thought I might like driving with steering wheel on a 45 degree angle. So, back to mini, another 6 hours of my life wasted, car is fine....now. My thought, never mudsling on somebody and then screw something up yourself, you become the bigger fool.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic is right for your go to guy. The big difference between a dealership and an indipendent is this: The dealership's service policy generally is to replace the parts affected by the 'problem' whereas an independent will be more detail oriented in diagnosing a problem and going directly to it's solution which may not even include a replacement part. On top of that, he's usually a mom & pop operation just trying to make a living while taking the best care of his customers that he can. That in itself deserves respect.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:44 AM
really huge
2nd Gear
Amen to that.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Sounds like your mechanic is right for your go to guy. The big difference between a dealership and an indipendent is this: The dealership's service policy generally is to replace the parts affected by the 'problem' whereas an independent will be more detail oriented in diagnosing a problem and going directly to it's solution which may not even include a replacement part. On top of that, he's usually a mom & pop operation just trying to make a living while taking the best care of his customers that he can. That in itself deserves respect.
^This^

Old 07-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Some indy shops are great and some are not, just like the dealers. Hard to paint them all with the same brush. I've used indy shops that will screw you while your watching and I've been to dealers that did the right thing for the customer.