1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Get It Poppin'!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:10 PM
SlammedSilly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets Get It Poppin'!

How's its going everyone? My name's PJ, new to the site, new to mini's, new to the disappointment I've had with it since I've owned one :/

So lets start off with one thing at a time!
I own a 2006 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, it is Royal Grey Metallic with a Silver roof. It also has the Cold Weather Package, Pano Package, and Chrome Package. It's a beautiful looking car! I've been told by a friend that it is actually a really rare color combo, due to it was only produced in 2006.

Well lets start off with problem number one that i had. So first, I bought the car in mid October of 2014 with 98,xxx on the odometer, currently 108,xxx I left the used car lot with it not knowing my issue.... about two months later, I hear a slight valve tap, so I put some castrol oil in the car. I put the car on a lift a few days later bc I heard the noise again. I find out that the car has been leaking oil for quite sometime now. There was oil sludge on the oil pan and the block... it looked bad... cleaned it all up with brake clean and checked it the next day. I find that it's still leaking oil, haha. I ended up changing the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, crank position sensor gasket, thermostat housing, thermostat, and changed the oil. Since all of this i haven't had an issue with the car leaking oil!! WOOHOO!

Now my next issue was a huge one.... My back window on the hatch blew out, from what I've read, the rear defroster can heat up too quickly and blow the glass out. I have no idea, but its fixed now... When Safelite came out to replace it, they broke my rear nozzle jet, well since my car is an early 2005 production... i had to replace the whole motor and not just the jet... Safelite refunded me the money but took almost two months. I do not recommend that company whatsoever!

Another issue I am having is, I thought i had a timing chain rattle or a valve tap.... Well i talked to a fellow mini friend and we were sitting in my car one day and I brought up a conversation about the noise i keep hearing, when I put my foot on the clutch, the sound goes away! But when my foot is not on the clutch the sound is there.... hmmm.... I'm pretty sure its the throwout bearing or im not too sure if these cars have a dual mass flywheel.... If so it could be either or. Would love for some feedback on that issue!

All in all, I love my R53! hate it at time, but I love it. I've put about 2K into here in the past six months. I installed a the aux input on the back of the oem radio, I've done a serp belt, plugs, air filter, cabin filter, 35% tint, I traded my wheels that I bought the car with for a set of R98 wheels! The was a huge come up. I also had to put an alternator in the car already, kinda confused on why it went out so early, but who knows. I only use oem parts with this car except the alternator... i work part time at advanced auto and decided to just purchase it there since i could get it cheap....

But its was great expressing my issues and love for this car, I hope to get some responses back! I came from the rwd community for this car... miata's, 240sx's... so hopefully I made a great decision!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 PM
amit
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey! I'm relatively new also.
The fact that you mention the color might be rear in the 06, I sort of buy into it since all the cars I can recall for that year had that color scheme.
As for the noise you hear when you food it off the clutch but appear when you take it off. I have that same noise on mine. I read a thread about it and spoke to my dad and it didn't seem too alarming so I never bothered about it. (Don't recall what the tread said) But would love to get rid of it if it didn't require anything extensive. Let me know if you go more info.
Good luck - I bought mine and had to change front rotors within a month. Apart from the basic oil and filter I placed 20k on her with no issues (knocks on wood).
Oh! Look out for the rust at the door under the rubber.

Motor on!