1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm baaaaaack!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm baaaaaack!

Re-greetings, everyone.

After a 3-year absence (because of selling my 2006 R53 in 2012), I've purchased a 2004 R53; same color, same everything except no roof rack and this one has the 2-spoke MFSW. I saw this new addition at a used car lot and was impressed with its appearance, care, price and history, and I just couldn't pass it up. I've missed shifting that Getrag 6. It's like hooking up with a favorite ex-girlfriend...

This one will probably need some of the same fixes as my previous one: radiator fan/resistor; HK sound system sucking; pwr steering fan... but I look forward to all of it. Glad to be part of this community again!

- Gary

Last edited by Filmy; 03-23-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 AM
GregO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retread

Originally Posted by Filmy
Re-greetings, everyone.

After a 3-year absence (because of selling my 2004 R53 in 2012), I've purchased another 2004 R53; same color, same everything except no roof rack and this one has the 2-spoke MFSW. I saw this new addition at a used car lot and was impressed with its appearance, care, price and history, and I just couldn't pass it up. I've missed shifting that Getrag 6. It's like hooking up with a favorite ex-girlfriend...

This one will probably need some of the same fixes as my previous one: radiator fan/resistor; HK sound system sucking; pwr steering fan... but I look forward to all of it. Glad to be part of this community again!

- Gary
Sweet! Welcome back!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome back Gary! Check your mileage on the car, the P/S issue is being covered by MINI under warranty as long as it's under certain amount of miles. I forgot how many it is and my car is in the shop having toys added and my recall letter is in the glovebox. MINI covered mine and it's an early 04, so you might still be covered.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mib4840
Check your mileage on the car, the P/S issue is being covered by MINI under warranty as long as it's under certain amount of miles.
HUGE tip about the P/S - thanks so much! It was squealing a little, so I took it to the local dealer and they replaced it, along with the fan, 100% under warranty. One problem solved.

Since then, I'd been reading (and reading, and reading...) about what to do with the H/K audio, upgrades, etc. since I wanted Bluetooth. The H/K (and amp) was working fine and a complete re-fit (even on a budget) was going to cost around $400, so I opted to keep the H/K and added an Audiovox Mediabridge. Simple plug-n-play, uses the steering wheel controls. About $140 on Amazon.

I was having the clicking gauges issue on start-up (signs of a dying battery) so I installed a new one this week. Autozone - about $170. Everything's stable now.

The Mini got hot the other day and I got some steam from under the bonnet, since I have the inherent low-speed fan resistor problem. And since I wasn't using the A/C (for the first time) the fan (high-speed) didn't come on soon enough. I think the coolant reservoir burped a little coolant onto the exhaust heat shield, because I couldn't find any trace of a leak.

Just to be safe, I installed a new thermostat and coolant reservoir today; fan resistor (I think I got the Dorman replacement from Detroit Tuned) and coolant flush will happen tomorrow.

Beyond that, I would LOVE to install boost and coolant temp gauges. Again, reading the myriad posts about that and pricing everything, it was another $200 or so. And then I discovered the OBDII scan tool(s) and the ability to use an Android (or iPhone, iPad, etc) with an app (like Torque Pro) which gives tons of accurate information. That will be here on Sunday, and I'll have a ton of real-time info at my fingertips.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:09 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome back, that P/S pump warranty has paid off for many people.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Yes it has.... just had the one replaced in my MC40 #211 a couple months back.

Motor on!

Old 04-23-2015, 05:22 AM
malsalah
2nd Gear
Welcome back Gary...I am new to this wonderful Mini community...I love my 08 Cooper S...where can get more info about the OBDII Scan tool and am assuming an app for iPhone...this sounds like a real cool idea...I just bought a code reader from Harbor Freight but if I can get accurate reading using the OBDII and my iPhone via blue tooth , I would rather get that....Mark

Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
This is the one I got (along with the $5 app): Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID It's small, stays plugged in and out of the way on the R53. I think the Dash Commander app is used more with iOS.

Just remember that your device can only interact with one Bluetooth source at a time, so it will not allow music and phone operation through your HU when this is on. Look around YouTube for demo videos. There are WiFi versions as well.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 AM
malsalah
2nd Gear
Thank you for the information...mark

Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
He's Baaaaaack!

Congrats on the new car!