1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Rescued and Adopted!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM
YoloSapien
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Rescued and Adopted!

Got my new-to-me 2008 Mini Cooper S (R56)!

I love it. I had to rescue it from the previous owner who didn't know how to care for a car. She fooled me though because when I bought it, there was no engine light or other warnings lights to indicate a problem. Inside is immaculate and the outside only had some minor paint chips from freeway driving.

After I drove away and 20 miles later, the engine light came on.
Had to shake my head on that... Meaning that the unscrupulous seller had a way to reset it. Oh well.

I got the infamous Kazoo sound on engine off a week later. Then I got the oil light coming on intermittently at low RPM. I have my work cut out for me it seems. No biggie, it's a hobby for me. She's my new baby and part of the family.

This is gonna be an fun!

Attached Thumbnails Mini Rescued and Adopted!-minnie.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Congratz to you!!!! and great attitude. I have only had mine for a month or so and they really do inspire you to want to do everything you can. I absolutely am in love with my vehicle...more so than any others I have owned. So congratz and welcome...enjoy your new car and I'm sure with the right TLC she'll be great.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Congrats on the New MINI.

Check the oil especially on a R56 Cooper S N14 engine, make sure its not low and then get the a code reader like actron unit and read the code. Go through the car up and down. Also see when the last oil change was and then go through all the maintenance items , like oil change , air filter, cabin filter .

You can get those here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/

And then enjoy motoring.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 PM
YoloSapien
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a little already

Replaced the air filter and changed the oil. Topped off the fluids and even the R134a. It is running great!

Fixed the kazoo sound by replacing the vacuum pressure converter. Made me smile.

Got the "oil light at idle" thing going on but it is pretty benign. I've been dredging through the forums on NAM and trying different things.
I replaced the oil pressure sensor but it was a bust. Still get the light. My thoughts are to check the oil filter housing for a malfunctioning release/bypass valve, check the oil pickup tube, change the oil pump. Probably in that order.

I gotta say though, this is the funnest car I have ever driven. I haven't had a "fun" car since the late 80's/early 90's, (Had a Camaro IROC in college and it was fun) but I gotta say, the MCS really kicks it.

Even with the problems, getting a 2008 MCS in near showroom condition for $6K makes me really happy. I guess the previous owner was expecting major issues and wanted to unload it.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome
For the oil light you may want to check inside the oil filter housing that the plastic valve is in place as that could cause your light at idle.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by YoloSapien
I love it. I had to rescue it from the previous owner who didn't know how to care for a car. She fooled me though because when I bought it, there was no engine light or other warnings lights to indicate a problem. Inside is immaculate and the outside only had some minor paint chips from freeway driving.
This is gonna be an fun!
You got yourself a pound puppy. A little MINI whispering will straighten it right out.