1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st post, now straight to modding..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st post, now straight to modding..

I just got a R56 2008 Mini Cooper S in laser blue.
I am new to the Mini world, I am a long time bmw guy.. Previous cars E36 M3, E46 M3, E36 3 series.. These mini's are fun little cars to drive, how ever I am looking for a little bit more power. I'm in no way trying to build a fast car, but i would like to be in the range of 225whp without messing with internals.
After some research I decided to go with some of these mods and i'd like input from the community. Right now it's completely stock.

Intake: AEM Ram $387
Alta hot side $124 ebay.
Forge DV kit $234
Down Pipe: WMW $299
Intercooler: Forge $648
Exhaust: Alta 3” catbak $743, Borla race catbak $765, Invidia catbak $599, Magnaflow catbak $674, DDMworks catbak $780, Milltek catbak $849, NM eng. catbak $780, NM downbak $1000 I'm not sure which one yet.

Tuner: Manic Stage 2 ECU $550 plus switch $200.

Meth injection*: aquamist HSF-4 $1140 - undecided if i want to do meth tho

What do you guys think of these? anything I missed?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I also came from e36s' you'll enjoy the mini. Looks like you have a carbon fiber scoop? Have fun modding.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
NIce! yeah it's carbon fiber idk if it came with it originally or if the first owner put that on..

Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 PM
two250
4th Gear
List of mods looks pretty good! Very similar to my car. Only question I have is do you like your car to be loud? IMO those exhausts with a catless downpipe are much too loud. I went with the Akrapovic and it sounds perfect, however it is very expensive. I also recommend to add the NM-Eng torque arm bushing insert to your list. Really helps to reduce twisting of the engine with all that extra power.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
Well I don't want it to be super loud but from the youtube vids of those diff exhaust, they don't sound very loud so that's why i thought a catless dp would help.. That Akrapovic sounds nice, its just about 1K more then i'd like to spend lol. I will definitely look into those torque arm bushings

Old 12-30-2014, 03:31 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From an e46 m3 to a mini? I'm going for the other way around!

Old 12-30-2014, 03:33 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I wouldn't get the aftermarket intake or the hot side boost tube, neither add any horsepower, just more noise.

Dave

Old 12-30-2014, 03:37 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
hahaha it was just a matter of time before someone mentioned that! I'm saving for an M4 actually. that will be my nice sports car. This mini is just for a fun daily driver

Old 12-30-2014, 03:41 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I wouldn't get the aftermarket intake or the hot side boost tube, neither add any horsepower, just more noise.

Dave
I know but mine doesn't make that Woooshhhh Wooosh sound right now so I figure these would help

Old 12-30-2014, 04:06 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Definitely get the meth injection.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:14 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
I see your running it, did you install it yourself? I don't know if I'm a fan of tapping into the wires going to the ECU.. Also i'd have to find where i can get meth as i live in a small town..

Old 12-30-2014, 04:47 PM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bocajferrari
Well I don't want it to be super loud but from the youtube vids of those diff exhaust, they don't sound very loud so that's why i thought a catless dp would help.. That Akrapovic sounds nice, its just about 1K more then i'd like to spend lol. I will definitely look into those torque arm bushings
I had the Invidia with the stock downpipe and it was great, after removing the cat it was so loud and droned so bad that I ordered the Akrapovic within a few hours. However noise is all a matter of personal taste, you might find the combo prefect...

Old 12-30-2014, 05:06 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
Oh wow... if only i could hear some of these in person..I'll have to look out for fellow mini drivers around town and see what they have

Old 12-30-2014, 05:33 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I see your running it, did you install it yourself? I don't know if I'm a fan of tapping into the wires going to the ECU.. Also i'd have to find where i can get meth as i live in a small town..
The install isn't that bad. I too was nervous about tapping into the ECU but it's reality not that bad either. Here's a link to a thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-systems.html

You'd be surprised where you can find methanol. I get mine from a local fuel supply company, they supply heating oil, high octane fuel for ATV's, lead based fuels, etc.

The N14 engine (which you have) can really benefit due to the direct injection and very poor design of the PCV system. The PCV tends to introduce excessive amounts of oil back into the intake which builds up carbon on the intake valves and decreases octane and can lead to burnt valves and broken pistons. The methanol can help combat this, which is really important at elevated boost levels.

If you install a methanol kit you can continue to use the factory intercooler.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
Awesome!! thanks for the link and the info!! I will read up on it more, but i am already leaning towards the side where I'm getting it..I saw the other cheaper kits from AEM and snow performance but looks like most from NAM always give this HFS-4 the best ratings.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:54 PM
miniblue09
1st Gear
turbo upgrade. then re flash the ECU. you will get what your looking for.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniblue09
turbo upgrade. then re flash the ECU. you will get what your looking for.
To what turbo? BTW i installed the AEM intake this weekend... totally worth it. It sounds better and looks awesome.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM
miniblue09
1st Gear
To what turbo? BTW i installed the AEM intake this weekend... totally worth it. It sounds better and looks awesome.
check out gpop shop for their K04 upgrade. its a direct bolt on install. then look for a down pipe. give the boys a call for An ECU Flash, or take it to a local shop to have them due a custom program for your car. make sure you get a copy of it, if you ever have to re flash the thing..

Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 AM
texaswadefish
1st Gear
That's a great list of drive train mods. I'm in the process of doing a few of the same ones to get ready for my Manic Stage 2 tune. I'm running a DOS intake and the Forge Diverter Valve. I'm going with the Wagner Tuning Intercooler but I'm up in the air with the exhaust. I was thinking on a WMW catless downpipe with my standard exhaust. Will that be a problem, such as drone or lack of power gains? If I bite the bullet and go with the Akrapovic, can I go just with the Akra downpipe or do I need to go with the whole system? Ditto on the Torque Arm insert.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't forget to turn the car too!

Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar. Get the Hollow 25.5mm.

NM Torque Arm insert or the PowerFlex small insert (requires press).

Control Arm Bushings.

BSH Clutch stop <---- This is an awesome bang for buck. Totally changes the clutch operation feel.

Change those wheels! The current wheels you have on are one of the heaviest wheels (if not the heaviest) MINI made. I think they are around 23lbs a pop. My NM wheels are 16lbs. Thats a pretty substantial unsprung weight savings that can make your car faster w/o doing anything to the engine.

If it has runflats, get rid of them now!!! Replace them with a nice set of all seasons. Or if you're really ready to go a nice summer only such as Micheline Pilot Super Sport or a Continental DW. You'll be suprised by the huge increase in grip when you do. Not to mention better ride comfort.

I'd recommend going to a 215/45R17 tire size as well.

Thats it for now, before I get too long winded

Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM
miniblue09
1st Gear
If yall are able to spin a wrench. You can always look on ebay for CKOs. Most of the piping or intercooler are cheaper. Name brand is only needed with big ticket items.turbo and ecu flashing. I'll be around 250 hp and under 1500. I'll also have a spare MCS turbo with under 40xxx miles on it for sale. So I'll recoup funding there also.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM, bocajferrari and congrats on your new MINI. Laser Blue is a fantastic color and it looks great. Thanks for the pics. Happy modding and motoring and please don't forget to wave. Keep us updated with your mods with pics.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:52 PM
bocajferrari
1st Gear
"I was thinking on a WMW catless downpipe with my standard exhaust. Will that be a problem, such as drone or lack of power gains?" I had the same question?!!?! How do you like your Forge DV??

My next things on the list will be that clutch stop Grizld700 recommended. then the boost tube and FMIC. I am waiting for the wheels as i still have plenty of tread left on the current tires, when those go i will replace both. Still not sure which ones to go for though. I want some type of Gun metal finish.

BTW, heres the installed AEM intake

Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 AM
texaswadefish
1st Gear
I had a DDM intake for a while, which is similar to the AEM but had an issue with the vacuum hose collapse/brake failure so I switch tot the Defenders of Speed intake. I installed the Forge DV at the same time and the butt dyno really likes it. I feel better throttle response and the power at 4000 - 6500 rpm is real strong. I put the clutch stop in months ago and for a $10.00 mod, it's a must.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also a heads up those in Hot summer climates have had some issues with the AEM Turbo Heatshield trapping the heat and melting the valve cover. These cases have been few in reports, but they have happened. I ran mine all last summer with no problems, but it was a pretty mild summer here last year.

Quick Reply: 1st post, now straight to modding..