1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not the "start I was hoping for"

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM
firstminicoop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the "start I was hoping for"

Hello Everyone,
First time Mini owner and unfortunately not the best start...
Looking for some insight in my new to me MCS.
I purchased a used 2007 Pepper white Cooper S with 76,000 kms approx 3 wks ago.I went into the deal knowing the timing chain and tensioner needed replacing.Had work done at local Mini dealership along with new valve cover(because of dead PCV,that really set me back..) , turbocharger oil return line,engine flush with new coolant,and oil change.
Five days later i was going to go for a quick drive to corner store and no start.Everything seemed to be powered up but engine would not turn over. Tried to jump start but no go. Called BCAA and they managed to get started with their charger.Drove it on flatdeck and off to the dealership we go....
So 3 days later they have come to the conclusion that the Alternator AND the Starter are toast.They thought it was unusual as well and used a different wiring harness and same issue.
So...my question to you folk in the know...
Is it just my bad crappy luck or did they mess it up with the timing chain work?
Any info would be helpfull,really have been enjoying the car(takes about 20 minutes to get the grin off my face after I park it)
Thanks M

Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you got it started again how can the starter motor be bad?

If your clock keeps resetting itself to 00:00 after you've left the car a period of time its the battery.

You could go buy a battery keep the receipt and see if it fixes your problem if not take it back

Old 08-27-2014, 08:22 PM
firstminicoop
Neutral
good point about the starter..previous owner had the battery replaced not long ago and no other electrical issues

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM
foxontherun
1st Gear
it may sound silly but make sure you check all your battery terminal connections and main ground connections as well. Having had so much work done on your car all at once its easy for someone to loosen something and then not put it back all the way. Humans make mistakes.

else wise I have to agree with scubby up there.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:37 PM
firstminicoop
Neutral
Well not much has changed in a wk and a half.First option was to pay 1000 for a new alternator and 600 for a new starter plus install. Nope, not gonna happen in my lifetime. Tried to find aftermarket in my area but no luck. So I had both parts removed and couriered to a highly recommended shop to have both rebuilt. They in turn said there was nothing wrong with either,both bench tested perfect.SO... back they go to dealership and put back in and next they said it was the wiring harness.Everything is good now come and pick up your car. The dealership charged me 2 hrs labour and away I go... Nope... Engine light came on and 2 ? other warning lights.Back in the shop it goes,now there are saying the computer is not talking to the traction control system...ARGHHHH
Stay tuned, I will be patient and repost the solution so no one else has to deal with this frustration....

Old 09-10-2014, 03:32 PM
firstminicoop
Neutral
Now the dealership is saying/thinking/hoping/guessing its the DME computer,
great, another $2300.00......

Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like they don't know what they're doing.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Is it a manual? Clutch cancel switch? Just a thought. Jump starting may have been a coincidence....

Nik

Old 09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
firstminicoop
Neutral
Nik,
Yes it is a manual trans and I suggested that to the dealership,they said they would check. But I guess the $2300 DME is the culprit...
Hopefully pick up tomorrow
M

Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 PM
firstminicoop
Neutral
Keeps getting worse...
Picked up car last Friday from dealership and paid the $2300 ,have to wait for two weeks for the DME,backorder and VIN has to be programmed in before delivery?All new info to me...
But wait theres more... Made one stop on way home and then parked car in my driveway at home. Didn't drive until I went to friends place on Sunday and noticed the bumper was marked ,the paint was cracked,the grill was out of wack, and the hood wouldnt open.Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh,someone hit the front end either at dealer or my 15 min stop in parking lot on way home !!!!
Is this a jinxed MCS or am I getting all the ugly stuff out of the way now and have years of driving bliss?? I have put on only 400 or so kms so i am hoping all this BS is soon to be behind me and I can start to enjoy my Mini.
Sorry for venting on you all ,but damn.....

Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm not a 'grease under the nails' motor head but one thing I do know for sure. (Not to malign them, but) dealerships are in an entirely different line of business than independent shops. Their solution to problems is to replace parts. Ask around your part of the country and find a very reliable BMW/MINI independent garage and then make him feel like your best friend.

Anecdotally speaking, I had a half dozen lights turn on including limp mode one morning. With the dawn patrol, I limped it 45 miles to my main wrench who had it overnight. The result was a separated wire inside a cable cluster leading to the throttle control. The shop owner forgave the diagnosis time spent and charged me for only the repair work of opening the cable cluster and repairing the break. That would never have happened in a dealership.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
That is why they are often referred to as Stealerships. Your dealer is incompetent or intentionally stealing from you. You need to have a meeting with the GM or owner and also find a real mechanic.