1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI virgin from Michigan

Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 AM
rcanzano
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI virgin from Michigan

Hey, first time owner here. Just picked up a 2011 Cooper S, premium package, premium sound, white silver metallic. Only 20,000 miles on it. Wasn't listed as a certified used car, but the BMW dealership we got it from had done all the service on it & gave me a printout of everything they did, even the previous owners name & phone number.

It had a dead battery when we wanted to test drive it, they jumped, drove it & loved it. When picking it up the next day, battery was dead again, they sent it to service & found the high pressure fuel pump needed to be relaxed, service on brake fluid needed to be done and replaced the battery. I know every car has issues, but the service calls & this incident almost set me off the car. Saying that to the dealer they gave us an extended warrantee to 100,000 miles.

The concerns I have are:

The run flat tires (no spare), Michigan roads are HoRrIbLe, but the extended warrantee covers tires & wheels. What is the consensus of other MINI owners?

Snow & ice driving, we traded in an '07 Subaru. We do plan on putting on dedicated snow tires for the winter. Recommendations?

No floor mats! They told me the car didn't come with them. I find that very hard to believe, but it is what it is. OEM mats-where to buy?

Gotta have stripes! Who's the best retailer for these (and other items too)?

There seems to be almost no end to mods for the car. What are best ones to start with?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 AM
rcanzano
Neutral
Is there anybody out there?

Bump

Last edited by rcanzano; 08-27-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rcanzano
Hey, first time owner here. Just picked up a 2011 Cooper S, premium package, premium sound, white silver metallic. Only 20,000 miles on it. Wasn't listed as a certified used car, but the BMW dealership we got it from had done all the service on it & gave me a printout of everything they did, even the previous owners name & phone number.

It had a dead battery when we wanted to test drive it, they jumped, drove it & loved it. When picking it up the next day, battery was dead again, they sent it to service & found the high pressure fuel pump needed to be relaxed, service on brake fluid needed to be done and replaced the battery. I know every car has issues, but the service calls & this incident almost set me off the car. Saying that to the dealer they gave us an extended warrantee to 100,000 miles.

The concerns I have are:

The run flat tires (no spare), Michigan roads are HoRrIbLe, but the extended warrantee covers tires & wheels. What is the consensus of other MINI owners?

Snow & ice driving, we traded in an '07 Subaru. We do plan on putting on dedicated snow tires for the winter. Recommendations?

No floor mats! They told me the car didn't come with them. I find that very hard to believe, but it is what it is. OEM mats-where to buy?

Gotta have stripes! Who's the best retailer for these (and other items too)?

There seems to be almost no end to mods for the car. What are best ones to start with?
Hi and welcome to NAM

I also have run flats and got 2 flats in the last year - but the RFTs saved me so much time because I limped to the nearest town to get a replacement. If the extended warranty includes a clause on road hazard I'd be surprised, I'd check the specific language in the terms of the warranty. Many other owners run normal tires and carry a small spare tire kit in the trunk in case of emergency. Non-RFTs are less stiff and give a softer ride.

I just picked up a set of Blizzak WS70s for winter. Go to tirerack and pick any of the top brands and you should be set.

Buy OEM Mats from your dealer or from online MINI parts sources such as mini of atlanta parts or mini of sewell. Mini of sewell parts - http://mini.sewellparts.com/ - has a NAM discount too! Same for stripes.

If you have a manual, get the JCW shift ****. I really like the different feel and the carbon fiber accent. I also have the factory JCW muffler which I absolutely love, it sounds way way better and a little louder on throttle but still is pretty quiet when I'm just cruising. If you want slightly more blow-off noise from the turbo you can get a panel filter like K&N.

There's no best one to start with, but once you start you'll find it hard to stop!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've run tires with and without runflats. Night and day in terms of ride comfort. The runflats were killer.

Winter tires, I've run General Altimax Arctics and Michelin X-Ice. Both have performed about the same, but I'd give the nod to the Michelins. Not at squirelly on dry roads. But that could just be because I had a smaller width tire with the Generals. But the Generals are waaay cheaper and perform just as well in the snow as the Michelins.

ECS tuning is a good place for parts as well. Plus they're out of Ohio so it's somewhat close to you.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thanks for the mention Grizld700

I just reasoned in a similar thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
rcanzano
Neutral
Thanks for input. I picked up mats, stripes, & trunk mat from Minimania. I am going to get dedicated winter tires. Was looking at Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, I dare you to try & pronounce it. Apparently they invented snow & ice tires in the '30's. There from Norway or Sweden. Best cold weather traction, but hard to find locally, will probably go with Blizzak from tire rack.

Can this car go to 17 inch tires & wheels? I'll ditch the run flats when they wear out, I though the ride was a bit rough.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rcanzano
Thanks for input. I picked up mats, stripes, & trunk mat from Minimania. I am going to get dedicated winter tires. Was looking at Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, I dare you to try & pronounce it. Apparently they invented snow & ice tires in the '30's. There from Norway or Sweden. Best cold weather traction, but hard to find locally, will probably go with Blizzak from tire rack.

Can this car go to 17 inch tires & wheels? I'll ditch the run flats when they wear out, I though the ride was a bit rough.
MINIs optionally come with 17s stock so yep they fit! Did you cross shop mini mania with other stores? I've found their prices to be higher than anywhere else.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 AM
mkortering5
2nd Gear
As a MI resident with two minis - welcome!

Runflats suck, but having a flat away from home sucks worse. I carried a spare in my last car (07 R56 S), but it stayed with the car and went with the new owner when I sold it. Really, it is personal preference - which downside are you more ok with? Having a flat without a spare or a rough ride?

Get snow tires. The Nokians are ok, sure they invented snow tires, but IMO haven't done the best since. I've had better luck with Blizzaks. My wife and I both have dedicated wheels and tires for the snowy times. I'm on my 3rd season with them and should easily be able to get another 2 or 3. Awesome tire.

Congrats on the car - enjoy being one of the few MINIs on the road come winter. The summer is a different story

matt

Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 AM
ranczar
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I see you're in Rochester; I'm in Brighton, and I recommend you check out this site: http://detroittuned.com
Chad Miller is the owner and he's the top banana when it comes to getting things, and getting things done on your MINI. Whatever your degree of DYI ambition, Chad and Detroit Tuned has all you need. The shop is near 15 mile and Harper in Clinton Township.

I only drive my convertible in non-snow months, so I have no input on snow tires; as for a spare tire, Chad has 'em.

Cheers.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Mosco
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ranczar
Welcome to the forum!

I see you're in Rochester; I'm in Brighton, and I recommend you check out this site: http://detroittuned.com
Chad Miller is the owner and he's the top banana when it comes to getting things, and getting things done on your MINI. Whatever your degree of DYI ambition, Chad and Detroit Tuned has all you need. The shop is near 15 mile and Harper in Clinton Township.

I only drive my convertible in non-snow months, so I have no input on snow tires; as for a spare tire, Chad has 'em.

Cheers.
What he said. Detroit Tuned is a great local place for all things Mini.

Welcome to the club.