1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"New to Me" MINI owner in Southern NH

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 AM
andysinnh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New to Me" MINI owner in Southern NH

Hi there. Thought I'd post a formal intro here, even thought I've asked a couple of questions in other threads. I'm Andy and I live in Southern NH. I just picked up a 2008 Cooper Hatch (non-S) with auto tranny from the MINI dealer in Bedford NH. It has 122k miles on it, but whomever had it before me had it maintained meticulously and the car looks/drives almost like new. The purpose of having this car is for my youngest son who's 17 but has Asperger's to learn how to drive and start being more independent. For a kid like him, having something small and very precise in the way it drives will be key, as a larger vehicle (even something like a Civic) might have too much fender distance for some of his depth perception issues. Since the MINI is like driving an adult go-cart, this seemed to be the best choice.

The car itself (picture attached below) is actually fairly loaded. It has the summer and winter packages, comfort access, navigation w/bluetooth, stability control, auto climate control, etc. As I said, it drives extremely well - smooth shifting, quiet motor (even at cold startup), very tight, and a body that shows that it was always garaged. Only "wear" item is some slight cracking on the driver's seat edge (need to have that repaired), and then the windshield being pretty pitted and needing replacement. Before delivery the dealer put on a new set of conti's, replaced a leaking oil pan gasket, put on new rear brakes/rotors and replaced the rear stabilizer links.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum over time, and also asking lots of questions. My start was to investigate wheels/tires for the wintertime, since I always do 4 snows on separate wheels. Given I've got a set of Nokian 195-65R15 Hakka R's in the basement I'd like to use those - but need to test-fit to see.

Personally, I've got 3 kids (2 oldest out on their own in mid-late 20's), married for 32 years, and have worked at DEC/CPQ/HP for 35 years. Live in merrimack and have done so since 1968. For the most part my vehicles of choice have been Honda/Acura products. My current ride is a 2013 Acura MDX SH-AWD, and the wife drives a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD that is about the fastest car I've ever driven (good thing I don't drive it daily!).

-andy

Attached Thumbnails "New to Me" MINI owner in Southern NH-ryan-mini.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM, andysinnh and congrats on your new MINI. It looks fantastic and well cared for. Happy motoring and please don't forget to wave.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Morrissey25
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM... I just picked up my first MINI as well. I also come from a long line of Honda/Acuras too. I am also in the market for winter tires as well. Whenever people tell me that they have all-season tires, I ask them if the have an all season jacket. After that, my point is usually understood. Best of luck to your son and his new ride.