1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 MC - Hello from NC!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:49 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
'02 MC - Hello from NC!

Hello NAM!

I've had my Cooper (Silk Green!) since it was brand new in 2002, but I didn't know much about car care at the time and am now looking at trying to repair and clean everything I can on the car. It's accumulated some paint chips and curb damage namely, but I know I've got a few more things I need to look at to put the car back in factory shine!

I've just been getting interested in DIY stuff on the car and will be replacing the bonnet and trunk emblems as well as the microfilter among other things in the near future. Up til now, I've known nothing in the way of DIY car care and maintenance, so I hope I'll pick up a thing or 2 on the forum. I've found Aaron's full detailing guide; that's a good start!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
OOO- Silk Green! My wife has one; take good car of it as that's a rare and sought after color. Not that you can't paint any car any color, but still. How about some pictures?

Val

Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Here's some pictures from today.

She's obviously quite dirty, but I hope I'll soon be armed with some new products and be able to give her the treatment she's deserved for 12 years!

Oh, and how would you guys recommend I remedy this situation?

My right taillight got really scratched up somehow, I doubt I'll be able to fill it but I can't access the cover either. I've tried opening the right side access door to the taillight bulbs, but there's literally no room to barely even put my hand in to change the bulbs, let alone get to the cover.

Last edited by sevin; 07-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sevin
Here's some pictures from today.

Oh, and how would you guys recommend I remedy this situation?

My right taillight got really scratched up somehow, I doubt I'll be able to fill it but I can't access the cover either. I've tried opening the right side access door to the taillight bulbs, but there's literally no room to barely even put my hand in to change the bulbs, let alone get to the cover.
There is ONE 10mm nut holding the tail-light on and a couple of clips -- you need to pull the tail light to replace the bulbs.

Buy a new tail-light on ebay for like $50 bucks -- I don't think you are going to be able to buff that out. Car looks amazing for being as old as it is -- kudos to you for keeping it in great shape.

Not sure if you care about using only OEM parts or not -- but...$26 could be worth a go. http://www.carparts.com/details/Mini...FeXm7Aod6ngAVQ

Video below but don't use their method of pushing on it -- use a non marring pry tool..and you can just push it gently into your hand.
--

Last edited by Kahnfucious; 07-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
There is ONE 10mm nut holding the tail-light on and a couple of clips -- you need to pull the tail light to replace the bulbs.

Buy a new tail-light on ebay for like $50 bucks -- I don't think you are going to be able to buff that out. Car looks amazing for being as old as it is -- kudos to you for keeping it in great shape.
I read in the manual that you replace the bulbs by opening a door inside the boot and access the bulbs that way. The manual said nothing of removing the cover. How can I do that? There seems to be no room inside the door and I don't see anything on the exterior that would let me pull it off.

I have done practically no fancy stuff to the car in the way of cleaning it. I've been using some crappy Armor All Wash and Wax for a couple years since it's what they had at Target when I got it. I put it on and pressure wash it off and that's literally all I do on the exterior. That happens once a week tops, usually once a month. I'm looking forward to finally giving it the treatment it deserves!

Oh and that cloth material on the seats - how would you recommend cleaning that? I've no idea what I could use.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a video in my reply that shows you Exactly what to do. Cloth no idea I have leather but why not use the automotive upholstery cleaner avail at all retailers?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome, Silk Green is not a common color so congrats.

Yes to fix your tail light you'll have to replace the entire light. If you need one we keep them in stock.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/tail-li...4-r50-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
There is a video in my reply that shows you Exactly what to do. Cloth no idea I have leather but why not use the automotive upholstery cleaner avail at all retailers?
Thanks, that vid was very helpful! The part you linked is exactly right, I don't really care about OEM. It says it's OE, does that just mean it is an exact replica but not from the manufacturer?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Replaced the passenger side taillight today: thanks Kahn! It's so much brighter and shinier than the other I had to order the driver's side version tonight!

Last edited by sevin; 07-26-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Completed my first Zaino treatment on the MINI today! 12 years old with 165k miles on it and it can still shine like this! A wash in Z-7, dry, a coat of Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-6, Z-5, Z-2, and a last coat of Z-6 brought the exterior to a perfect finish. Running your hand over it is honestly the best part; feels like a film of oil on your car!

I also replaced the shifter handle, front and rear wipers, and the hood and trunk emblems. Pictures of those soon.

I still have some stuff to clean/repair, however. 3 of the 4 rims have some ugly road rash that I need to fill. I've also got tons of paint chips all over the car. I've also got lots of scratches, some minor, some much more noticeable. Those things I know how to fix and will just have to wait and see when I get the time and money to buy the tools required.

Some stuff I'm not sure of how to remedy follow:
  • How can I clean the chrome headlight surrounds? Mine have some really severe looking oxidation. At least, that's what I think. There's hundreds of little white dots all over them and they feel rough as you run your hand across them, even with wax.
  • What do you guys recommend for tire dressings? I'd really just like some durable stuff, it doesn't have to be the blackest, wettest looking dressing around.
  • What do you guys recommend for interior glass cleaning? I've polished the exterior with a coat of Z-5, Z-2, and two coats of Z-6, so they're just about perfect. I have Stoners Invisible Glass, but it doesn't really seem to work very well. And any microfiber I use with it leaves behind tons of horrible pills.
  • Has anybody ever replaced the stock speaker system in the MINI themselves? My rear speakers are blown and the front speakers rattle a lot.
  • My rims, if I don't replace them, need to be properly cleaned. I have Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner, which does literally nothing. I've been really interested in the Sonax wheel cleaner. Does it work as well as it looks? The grime and dust on my wheels has been there for a long time, I think. I've got lots of caked in stuff that won't come out whether I pressure wash, use wheel cleaners, clay bars, or any kind of rag and water. I think my wheels are the biggest problem at this point. Also, how do you protect them? I put a coat of Z-2 and Z-6 on them today, is that all they need? Or can Zaino not stand up to wheel temperatures?
  • How do you clean the ZFX and foam applicators? I spent like a half hour on each bottle using like 5 ounces of "ultra concentrated" Dawn and theyr're still hazy looking. I scrubbed the insides of them with a toothbrush too. And I've no idea how to go about getting all the wax out of my applicators. Help!

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I'm new to this and really excited after my first Zaino job!

Last edited by sevin; 07-26-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of car detailing! It's a great hobby and one that instills pride in your ride. For window cleaning, try good old WINDEX. Don't use paper towels, tho. Use nice soft, cotton dish towels, hand towels or old wash cloths. As for the white crap on your headlamp rims, I'd suggest using WD40 or paint thinner on a small rag. If that doesn't work, use NeverDull or Mother's wadding. (Also great on any chrome, exhaust tips, etc.) It may be dried tree sap or even white paint from center line or parking lot markers. Remember: always use the least aggressive method to achieve results. Another tip: Go on YouTube and plug in Griot's Garage. Although I like them, I'm not necessarily plugging their products. They have some very informative video clips on how to detail your car. Have fun!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Welcome to the wonderful world of car detailing! It's a great hobby and one that instills pride in your ride. For window cleaning, try good old WINDEX. Don't use paper towels, tho. Use nice soft, cotton dish towels, hand towels or old wash cloths. As for the white crap on your headlamp rims, I'd suggest using WD40 or paint thinner on a small rag. If that doesn't work, use NeverDull or Mother's wadding. (Also great on any chrome, exhaust tips, etc.) It may be dried tree sap or even white paint from center line or parking lot markers. Remember: always use the least aggressive method to achieve results. Another tip: Go on YouTube and plug in Griot's Garage. Although I like them, I'm not necessarily plugging their products. They have some very informative video clips on how to detail your car. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips! Windex does seem to work a bit better. WD40 had no effect, and I don't have the other products you mentioned. I'll get a picture tomorrow so you can see exactly what it looks like.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello Nice Silk Green, very hard to find anymore. Awesome MINI.

""Some stuff I'm not sure of how to remedy follow:
- How can I clean the chrome headlight surrounds? Mine have some really severe looking oxidation. At least, that's what I think. There's hundreds of little white dots all over them and they feel rough as you run your hand across them, even with wax. ""

Lights rubbing compound test in a corner with a clean cloth. Close to scratch- X remover stuff. Use is small areas and tape off the paint. After done use your wax.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2622571/

""What do you guys recommend for tire dressings? I'd really just like some durable stuff, it doesn't have to be the blackest, wettest looking dressing around.""

Chemical Guys VRP , does wheels and all the black trim like the wheels arches and side skirts / front and rear lower bumper, Also smells like coconuts .

Extreme Vinyl, Rubber, & Plastic (VRP) Dressing - 16oz

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2619132/

"""Has anybody ever replaced the stock speaker system in the MINI themselves? My rear speakers are blown and the front speakers rattle a lot. "" Check all the speakers for the pop and rattle noise to see if they are blown. Sometimes its just the material around them.

They are not that hard to replace. Looks like you have the stock system ( NON H/K "harman Kardon" ) system.

There are 6x9 in the back side pane ( two ) : One on each panel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65139143270/

And round ~5.25 inch in the front bottom ( one on each door ) of the door, comes with new foam. Think the older ones had thinner foam or it might be gone.

Loudspeaker For Stock Systems - Front - Priced Each

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65139143271/

And tweeters ( one on each door in the top of the door by the handle).

Tweeter For Stock Systems - Front

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65139143242/

""My rims, if I don't replace them, need to be properly cleaned. I have Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner, which does literally nothing. I've been really interested in the Sonax wheel cleaner. Does it work as well as it looks? The grime and dust on my wheels has been there for a long time, I think. I've got lots of caked in stuff that won't come out whether I pressure wash, use wheel cleaners, clay bars, or any kind of rag and water. I think my wheels are the biggest problem at this point. Also, how do you protect them?"""

I have white wheels that still looks good. Wash with Sonax, spray let set, wash. . Use the little brush , it helps too .

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Sonax_Wheel/

Then you will need to wet with soap the dry erasers. Use this only in parts of the white wheel were the sonax does not remove the baked on tar and dirt. On white rims be careful its aggressive. Also great for dismounting wheels and doing the wheel barrel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2626154/

Once dry then wax and wipe clean.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Wheel_Wax/ES2619329/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Thanks for those recommendations, ECS! I bought the new wipers, shifter, and emblems from you guys.

The lights rubbing compound - will that also clean the plastic lenses, not just the chrome surrounds? I've got some pretty ugly scratches on my right lens from when I used the wrong grit sandpaper to try and restore them without a kit. Bad idea.

Sonax wheel cleaner - I read about some more products soon after I wrote that post that the P21S gel wheel cleaner trumps the Sonax for most people. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra 5 bucks. Also, what would you recommend for a brush?

CG wheel sealant - I also read recently that the Poorboy's World wheel sealant has incredible durability. Is there some product I can use in addition to either of those to make the wheels glossy? Even with the wax I have on them now they don't shine much.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Here's some comparison pics of the emblems and shifter I replaced when I did the Zaino job.

And here's a closer look at one of my curb damaged rims. You can also see the amount of crap still on my rims despite clay barring, wheel cleaners and scrubbing. I guess these rims will never be perfect. I think getting new ones is my best bet at this point. Do they even sell these old styles anywhere?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome:

"
Thanks for those recommendations, ECS! I bought the new wipers, shifter, and emblems from you guys. "

Awesome

"The lights rubbing compound - will that also clean the plastic lenses, not just the chrome surrounds? I've got some pretty ugly scratches on my right lens from when I used the wrong grit sandpaper to try and restore them without a kit. Bad idea."

Yo can use it on the lights but use it sparly , test areas. If you need the restore kit we have it here for the lens.

Premium Headlight Lens Restoration Kit

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2718193/

"Sonax wheel cleaner - I read about some more products soon after I wrote that post that the P21S gel wheel cleaner trumps the Sonax for most people. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra 5 bucks. Also, what would you recommend for a brush? "

Its linked with the sonax cleaner, get the dry erasers also, i used them on my white MINI Spider 15" wheels.

"CG wheel sealant - I also read recently that the Poorboy's World wheel sealant has incredible durability. Is there some product I can use in addition to either of those to make the wheels glossy? Even with the wax I have on them now they don't shine much."

The wax does most of the work. A couple coats will helps.

"And here's a closer look at one of my curb damaged rims. You can also see the amount of crap still on my rims despite clay barring, wheel cleaners and scrubbing. I guess these rims will never be perfect. I think getting new ones is my best bet at this point. Do they even sell these old styles anywhere? "

Yes we carry all the Genuine MINI parts as you have ordered. Looks like you have some road rash also. If you feel you cannot bring them back to life.

Those are the 16" spider spokes in White.

R83 MINI 5 Spoke Spider Wheel 16" (4x100) White

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/36111512349/

Here are the new center caps because on new white wheel the caps old caps will not match. They line up and snap into place.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/36131512573/

thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Thanks for the reply. $800 is too expensive for me at this point on a new set of rims, guess I'll have to do my best with the restoration.

I have some Brasso lying around in my shop, would it work ok for polishing the chrome exhaust tip and bumpers on the car?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome. That's pretty aggressive, again best to test in spots. I don't know if I would use it on the plastic chrome trim, try some of the less aggressive stuff first.

Good luck and hope you can bring it back to life. Its a nice silk green.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM
sevin
6th Gear
So this appeared today:

Got some major sagging in the fabric above the passenger door on the ceiling. Does anyone know how I can tighten it up? I suppose I may have soaked it when I was cleaning the interior at night a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 PM
sevin
6th Gear
It appears to be getting worse. No ideas?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Try pealing it back ( were is starts pealing and cleaning the headliner cardboard material then get some 3M Headliner and fabric adhesive. smooth it out by hand to the edge. If it gets worse of does not hold, you could replace it with a new headliner. I Can get you the part number if you decide to change it out. But of a job , but it will be brand new and no stains.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 AM
mwjcoin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing a white alloy wheel

one of my white wheels was bent in some previous accident before i bought my 04 mini but i found a like new replacement on ebay for about 60 bucs including shipping and there are plenty of them to choose from.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mwjcoin
one of my white wheels was bent in some previous accident before i bought my 04 mini but i found a like new replacement on ebay for about 60 bucs including shipping and there are plenty of them to choose from.
Thanks for that, I'll see if I can find something.

In other news, I ordered the other replacement tail light as they were out of stock when I tried last and it should be here Monday. Finally I'll be able to walk up to the car without noticing the difference in shininess between tail lights

Old 08-22-2014, 05:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Pics after you get everything done.

Let me know if you need anything else. Bring the silk green back to life.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 PM
sevin
6th Gear
The tail light came sooner than expected! Now they finally match.

Basically what remains for the rear end is some paint repair. I've got some black blotches scraped into my paint from a small accident in the parking lot. You can see one of the blotches on the body in the middle of the rear just below the hatch in that last picture. I got a looooot of it out with the claybar when I waxed the car, including all of some red paint that got ground in but there's still a blotch on the body and a bit more on the chrome bumper. I can't get all of it though, and the bumper is cracked. It's not super noticeable, but when you get close you can see lots of little spider web cracks all over the bumper. I can live with that. All the local bodyshops say $700 virtually all in labor just to take the freaking thing off. I'd just like to get the blotches out.