1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being Frank...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being Frank...

Hi all, I've been following this site for a long time. Now it's official.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
If this is the real Frank that we all know from design then welcome. Post up some pics of your latest designs. And let us know how it was to work with the Rover Group for MINI in the early years.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 07-08-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Thanks! Yes, that's me, I'm the design director at McLaren now. The MINI story from my viewpoint would put War & Peace to shame, and a heck of a lot more gripping and entertaining for sure! ; )

Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, if it's the real Frank Stephenson, it's awesome to have you on the site and posting, hats off to you and welcome!

If it's not the real Frank Stephenson, may you be relegated to driving a Smart car for the rest of your natural life and beyond. Be a huge letdown if you're scamming us, but I guess it would be kind of funny all the same...

So when are you going to write a book? Between BMW/MINI, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Mclaren, you've got more than enough to interest a ton of people...

So how do you REALLY feel about the F56? Loving those headlights, aren't you? A five door MINI, that has to register. If you were desiging it, do you think it would've been possible to get a few more vents on the front grill?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
No scamming, I don't have that kind of time on my hands. In general I have to say that I wish MINI design would have made a further jump into a more futuristic design language after the first generation. I fear they've painted themselves into a corner now, similar to the Porsche 911, and although they've branched out into some pretty different directions size-wise, I'd love to see a return to a small/fun/nippy MINI range, a cutting edge interpretation of a 21st century Mini. For creative designers and engineers in this day and age there are no limits, just challenges and out of the box solutions. We need to move car design onwards and upwards a lot faster than it currently is happening in the mainstream segments.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From a design standpoint I would be interested in your views on the Mini Coupe/Roadsters VS the new concept Mini Sports Car.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FrankStephenson
No scamming, I don't have that kind of time on my hands. In general I have to say that I wish MINI design would have made a further jump into a more futuristic design language after the first generation. I fear they've painted themselves into a corner now, similar to the Porsche 911, and although they've branched out into some pretty different directions size-wise, I'd love to see a return to a small/fun/nippy MINI range, a cutting edge interpretation of a 21st century Mini. For creative designers and engineers in this day and age there are no limits, just challenges and out of the box solutions. We need to move car design onwards and upwards a lot faster than it currently is happening in the mainstream segments.
Interesting--and here many of us are complaining that the F56 has gotten too futuristic...Like the 911 stalwarts, many of us were blown away by the original R53, and have never gotten past that (I'm guilty of that myself). The more I think about it, I'd probably be happier with a more futuristic MINI, with clean, simple lines rather than keeping the basic shape the same but making it more complex, I hadn't really thought about it that way before. That being said, the 911 has done pretty well...

I still own my R53, and I'll never get rid of it--it's been heavily modified, it's a fantastic track car, and the R56/F56 don't do it for me (the Rocketman concept was intriguing, but that went to the wayside). The R53 struck a nerve with a group of tuners/aftermarket suppliers that was truly amazing; the R56 and F56 are more mainstream--I get that, but my heart will always be with the R53.

Did the R53 ever actually turn a profit by the end of it's cycle? Some of the construction process that makes the car so unique--such as how the bonnet was formed--has to be relatively expensive. What was the original thought behind the R53--was it a one-off labor of love that became a phenomenon to the point that the brand was continued almost accidentally, or a conscious effort to "test the waters" to determine wether it was a viable brand? Urban legend promotes the former, and the way it was developed seems to support that, but was BMW inclined to keep the MINI marquee going all along?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome aboard sir. Thank you for what you for what you have done!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
From a design standpoint I would be interested in your views on the Mini Coupe/Roadsters VS the new concept Mini Sports Car.
In my opinion the Mini Superleggera Vision is a pretty car, unfeasible for production, but pretty. That's maybe a good thing because as it stands, it ain't a MINI. It's oozes Italianess, not Britishness, and if they followed through with it, it would look like the Coupe's and Roadster's distant hot Italian cousin. A limited run could make sense but as a core model I feel a MINI has to have chilled out Bulldog genes in its blood.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might you drop by motoring alliance.com

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Frank. Can you tell us the story about the beer can or Coke can exhaust tip design.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM
rum4
Banned
Frank where are you from originally?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Frank. Can you tell us the story about the beer can or Coke can exhaust tip design.
Sure, though I'm sure most of you know about it already. Is this a test to see if I'm me?
In a nutshell, I ran out of time to finish off the clay model's pipe and grabbed Colin Laing's (anybody here know who he is?) can of Bud', sliced it and polished it, jammed it into the clay and 2 years later I told the exhaust pipe finisher supplier that I needed that beautiful piece put into production. Bingo, the beer can true story then leaked out. Good thing they didn't "can" me for it... ; )

Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rum4
Frank where are you from originally?
Born and raised in Casablanca, Morocco rum4. Norwegian/American dad and Spanish mother.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sure, though I'm sure most of you know about it already. Is this a test to see if I'm me?
In a nutshell, I ran out of time to finish off the clay model's pipe and grabbed Colin Laing's (anybody here know who he is?) can of Bud', sliced it and polished it, jammed it into the clay and 2 years later I told the exhaust pipe finisher supplier that I needed that beautiful piece put into production. Bingo, the beer can true story then leaked out. Good thing they didn't "can" me for it... ; )
No test. Good story. Just wanted to know if there was any more to the story then posted around the web.

If you do have some latest drawings of design that you can post. That would be great. Or possible a MINI rendering.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM
cct1
6th Gear
If that beer can is still in existence, it would fetch a hefty price....

Bud though...Ugh. You guys could have done better there.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
nice welcome

Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM
rum4
Banned
Thanks for the story. First time I ever read about it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
If that beer can is still in existence, it would fetch a hefty price....

Bud though...Ugh. You guys could have done better there.
It still exists... ; )

I agree, it should be a crime to drink Bud in Munich of all places. Then again, a beer stein exhaust would've killed the design... ; )

Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
It still exists... ; )

I agree, it should be a crime to drink Bud in Munich of all places. Then again, a beer stein exhaust would've killed the design... ; )

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM
FrankStephenson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dave.0
How do you feel about the looks of the F56?
Gotta say it's not my favorite MINI... ; )

Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM
cct1
6th Gear
It still exists... ; )

Tell you what--I'll give you a six-pack of your favorite German beer for that can. Heck, I'm feeling generous...I'll make it a twelve pack.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to NAM Frank, it's an honor to have you join this fun site.
Would you share with us what you're driving these days? Is it a MINI, Mini, or McLaren, or something else entirely?

Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
So, Frank, is there a building somewhere with a floor 7 1/2 and a portal into your design head?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Frank, thank you for the job you did on the R50 R53 MINI.