1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini S owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM
fuzzynumbskull
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini S owner

Hi guys (and gals).

I bought a 2009 Mini Clubman S yesterday (dark silver). It wasn't exactly my first choice for cars, but I think I'm going to love it. I heard too many opinions from too many people and got really confused the last 2 months I spent looking for cars. A new friend of mine turned me on to the MINI.

I work for one of the Big 3 automotive in SE Michigan so I'll be doing a lot of mods, probably get talked into even more mods at work...

Planning on doing some work on the plastic body panels (paint body color), suspension job and other things. Maybe even some custom racing stripes... This will be my first car to customize and play around with, so I'm really looking forward to it. Glad to be a part of the MINI community!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 AM
two250
4th Gear
Welcome! I think modding the MINI is almost more fun than driving the MINI. Every one has a chance to make it so unique that you rarely see 2 of the same. When I bought mine I said I was going to keep it stock

Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
1yesfan
3rd Gear
first things first, see if the recall for the timing chain tensioner has been fixed. Also see if the water pump thing for the Turbo has been fixed, and see if the heat shield for the oil line to the Turbo has been fixed. All of these are current recalls for the car of which I have the same model year S also.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 PM
fuzzynumbskull
Neutral
Thanks guys. I noticed the timing chain rattling the day after I bought it, so I don't think its been fixed. The car fax did indicate a heat shield replacement but you never actually know if it was the right one that was replaced unless you were there (there's usually more than 1 heat shield on an engine).

I'm going to stop by Detroit Tuned today after work (it's on the way home) and have them listen to the engine. I'm not sure if I'm still under warranty or not, so I'll be stopping by the dealership after I talk with Detroit Tuned. The dealership that sold me the MINI told me they would cover the bill for the timing chain replacement. I was pretty stoked when I heard that.

Been loving driving around town in it. It's a hot car.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 AM
two250
4th Gear
If you see a little heat shield on your oil line to your turbo then it's been done. That's all the recall did was add a tiny little one on there...

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just do yourself a BIG favor. CHeck your OIL till you learn how much it may use. If you can't grasp the dip stick reading as many of us get a cravenspeed. Too many people have grenaded their turbos and motors by running it out of oil.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:01 AM
fuzzynumbskull
Neutral
Thanks for the advice. I took the mini to Detroit tuned and they gave me a list of all the broken things on the car. Timing chain is fine according to them. I'm under warranty for extended maintenance (oil and brakes) only for about 15 more months. No open recalls.