1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh nooooo!!! New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:05 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh nooooo!!! New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(

Hello everyone.

We just purchased a brand new (2013 leftover) Mini last Saturday. Today makes one week, and we absolutely love this car. I've researched everywhere on how to care for it, and found this forum to interact with knowledgable folks like the members here. I even researched "top-tear" gas companies and went with Shell V-Power premium 93 octane fuel despite the higher cost.

Just know, my wife spotted a very small oil spot in our garage where our Mini sleeps. Sure enough, I looked under the Mini and on the drivers side, probably around where gas pedal is, I saw a small tiny drop developing from what appears to be some engine part. The oil is almost clear, quite clean actually. This is my very first Mini, so I don't believe it's transmission oil as it's not red or reddish in color.

I wiped it off, and haven't seen it again in the last 20 minutes. However, I called Mini and their service manager will call me Monday morning. Is is something I need to have towed over there? Should I even drive it? I was hoping to drive him with my wife tonight. :(

I checked the motor oil, and it's 2/3rds up in between that round orange marker which looks something like this...

<>-----------<>=====================O
| Oil here

Any thoughts and/or advise? I'm quite concerned.

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

Old 03-29-2014, 01:12 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
I would not worry about it at all. It could be something very minor like when they topped off the fluids before delivery they could have spilled some. Any it's totally drivable with any amount that small leaning or not. As long as it's not brake fluid.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What color is the oil? Could it be transmission fluid? There is no dipstick for that.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
The color is almost clear, motor oil looking. I would say the color of cooking oil I suppose. Or synthetic oil perhaps.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
The oil was leaking from this squarish looking piece. It had a small oil bubble building up right below it.
Not sure what this is in relation to the engine though. :(

Attached Thumbnails Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-2716415851.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-713105513.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-1239787880.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Here's a few more images I just randomly shot with my iPhone under the car. Sorry if they're not sequential .. I was trying in pure darkness to capture different areas of that section.

Does anyone know what this may be, or how serious it is. Again, this is our very first Mini, so please pardon the ignorance. :(

Attached Thumbnails Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-1966030734.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-1131619996.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-1999848930.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-1822362378.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-500032821.jpg  

Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-2221963223.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
You don't say how many miles are on your vehicle, but in any event that leak looks more than is to be expected with a MINI that is only 1 week old. Take it to the dealer.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:40 PM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
oil

Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
The oil was leaking from this squarish looking piece. It had a small oil bubble building up right below it.
Not sure what this is in relation to the engine though. :(

This looks exactly what I had on my then brand new 2013 JCW Hardtop. We thought it might be the LH axle seal, but it wasn't. Turns out it was some left over preservative that didn't get steamed off after ocean shipment. Heat from the engine had melted the residue. At about 2000 miles it had totally dried up. I now have 6,600 on him with no further evidence of anything leaking or dripping. BTW My JCw is a manual. You didn't indicate which your's is.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Jab: I just made 380 miles on it. Here are a few shots from above. Tried to see if maybe leakage was coming from topside. I believe that's the oil filter I'm looking at. In my YouTube research it appears in order to get to that filter one had to first remove the water coolant reservoir, so I'm not sure if that's the oil filter housing or not.

My Mini is a 2013 Mini Cooper hardtop 6 speed. Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring Guru: it's a 6 speed stick.

Attached Thumbnails Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-3959822780.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-964682363.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-2171831828.jpg  

Last edited by DavidOrtiz; 03-29-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Wow!! Service dept manager just called and asked me to explain what happened. Very accommodating and professional. He said his service team would be more than happy to look at it anytime I want to bring it in. He also said, it could be overflow fluid, and put my mind at ease by further saying the car has "plenty of safety, and warning systems in place to warn of low oil, or a pressure issue." He explained in detail the difference between a yellow and red warning lights.

I must say, first impressions mean a lot. This is our very first time dealing with Mini and their service, product and customer assistance has been absolutely stellar.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Darnit!!! Well, I wiped the oil yesterday, and to my disappointment a tiny accumulation is showing again this morning. It's hard for me to get a good picture as the car sits low, and my arm doesn't reach from the front. However, today I'm going to drive it on the car ramps so I can get a better view. I'll snap better images then. I suggested to my wife maybe I should spray engine cleaner in the event it is "left over" fluid, but she feels I may void the warrantee or remove the ability for the service dept. to see where this leak is coming from.

I'm quite concerned. But as the saying goes, "No sense worrying about something you can't change." I'm only sad because I just love this little car, and having oil leak after one week, with just over under 300 miles is quite saddening. :(

Attached Thumbnails Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-3019098731.jpg   Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-3876634973.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't touch it. Take it back to the dealer.

It has a warranty for this very reason.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Darnit!!! Well, I wiped the oil yesterday, and to my disappointment a tiny accumulation is showing again this morning. It's hard for me to get a good picture as the car sits low, and my arm doesn't reach from the front. However, today I'm going to drive it on the car ramps so I can get a better view. I'll snap better images then. I suggested to my wife maybe I should spray engine cleaner in the event it is "left over" fluid, but she feels I may void the warrantee or remove the ability for the service dept. to see where this leak is coming from.

I'm quite concerned. But as the saying goes, "No sense worrying about something you can't change." I'm only sad because I just love this little car, and having oil leak after one week, with just over under 300 miles is quite saddening. :(

No reason for disappointment. MINIs are great cars. Your service manager is right about having these car a lot of checks to keep it from having problems. However, sometimes (as with any car) a new one may have an issue, which is why they all have a warranty. This sounds like an issue with the seals on the oil pan and/or the valve cover. The light color is what new oil in these cars looks like. This is the same problem that I had shortly after getting my new 2012 and it turned out to be the valve cover and gasket that needed to be replaced. This was fixed under the car's warranty.

Overall, this is not a "big deal" with respect to the car itself. But your disappointment about the car not being perfect is understandable. Also this is an environmental issue that should be taken care of. If I were you, I would make an appointment with your dealership to have the oil leak fixed. They will clean everything up when done and it will be good as new. This is what they do; most dealers what their customers to be happy so they will take care of you and your car. Once done you will be back to loving your MINI.

Hope it goes well

Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Thank you Dan and Eddie. I'll call and make an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. For now, I'm going to wash him and detail him on the inside. I checked the oil this morning (engine cold) and the oil was topped-off. Here's a screen capture I took from a google video. Though I'm confused as I've seen videos suggest you check your oil with the car "cold" while others say turn the car on an run for a few minutes then check. Clearly the results will vary from one or the other. With the car hot, my oil level was at slightly above the midpoint. This morning, completely cold, it was very much topped off.

Attached Thumbnails Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-971372775.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Good you can read the dipstick. There are posts about the problems people have with them. As for the oil level. The owers manual says these engines take 4-1/2 qts (with filter change). When I change my oil, I will start it, turn it off and let it sit for a while. The dip stick reads at the full line. If I go out to the garage and check it (cold), it reads full. So, it seems it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't start it, turn it off and then check it as there is oil sitting elsewhere in the engine that won't show up on the dip stick. The important thing is that the car is on a level spot when you do check it.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome to car ownership....
Just remember to enjoy your car....don't go OVERLY ocd on us!!
Going back with a new car to have them look is s GREAT thing...
Do regularly check your cars oil level...mini's DO tend to burn+ leak a bit...many have been mortally wounded by owners letting them run low or out....don't be one of THOSE folks...lol...
But have fun with you car!! Now go for a Sunday drive!!
And by low I mean MORE THAN A FULL QUART....as long as the oil level in somewhere in the middle you are fine....checking oil is kinda imprecise.... Important thing is you keep it closer to the full than below the add mark.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 03-30-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Good you can read the dipstick. There are posts about the problems people have with them. As for the oil level. The owers manual says these engines take 4-1/2 qts (with filter change). When I change my oil, I will start it, turn it off and let it sit for a while. The dip stick reads at the full line. If I go out to the garage and check it (cold), it reads full. So, it seems it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't start it, turn it off and then check it as there is oil sitting elsewhere in the engine that won't show up on the dip stick. The important thing is that the car is on a level spot when you do check it.
Hi Eddie, Thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow I'm going to call the dealership and see if I can schedule an appt. for the leak. My wife says maybe I should wait a while (like the dealer said) and see if that goes away. I didn't drive it on the car ramps to see as I'm afraid of what I might see. I know this is going to sound stupid. However, I feel this strange attachment to this little car. Maybe it's because it reminds me of my college days when I drove a Honda cvcc (the first car I learned how to drive a stick with) and one couldn't kill that thing. I remember it was tiny, and the front dash was kinda curved. Well, this MINI for some reason has this place in my heart. It's small, roundish, reliable, manual speed and I just feel attached to it. Odd coming from a 53 year old man huh? All this said, I baby my MINI, not because he's new, but because I really like him. I've hand waxed him twice to protect against the Florida sun, last Thursday I tinted his windows, using high end tint, to reduce inside temperature by 30 degrees, I detailed the inside with protectant, and yesterday received my MINI sun deflector for the front windshield (seen here). So here he is, ready for the workweek (topped-of with Shell V-Power 93 octane which is a Top Tier listed merchant), in my driveway. Last night I kept thinking about that darn oil leak. Hope everything will be ok (fingers crossed). Regards, David Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails Oh nooooo!!!  New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(-image-3352344295.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:33 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Welcome to car ownership.... Just remember to enjoy your car....don't go OVERLY ocd on us!! Going back with a new car to have them look is s GREAT thing... Do regularly check your cars oil level...mini's DO tend to burn+ leak a bit...many have been mortally wounded by owners letting them run low or out....don't be one of THOSE folks...lol... But have fun with you car!! Now go for a Sunday drive!! And by low I mean MORE THAN A FULL QUART....as long as the oil level in somewhere in the middle you are fine....checking oil is kinda imprecise.... Important thing is you keep it closer to the full than below the add mark.
Thanks Zippy. I'll keep everyone posted of my findings.

Regards,
David

Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Can you ask for a loaner and bring it in now. It is new after all. Most leaks Ive had have been slow but Ive had a couple that have gone from slow to empty real fast, especially after reassembling something. and new is kind of like that

Old 03-30-2014, 12:51 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
Some of that oil looks red to me. Could it be transmission fluid?

Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral
Can you ask for a loaner and bring it in now. It is new after all. Most leaks Ive had have been slow but Ive had a couple that have gone from slow to empty real fast, especially after reassembling something. and new is kind of like that
I will be calling them tomorrow morning for sure. The leak is very very slow, I have checked the oil both cold and warm and they're topped-off either way. Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

@Son-of-MINI: The oil looks reddish in the picture but it's actually synthetic oil colored. Sorta clear/yellow and oily texture. I have been watching that little dropper since this morning and it hasn't dropped yet. In fact, I drive it to top it off with fuel for the workweek and it hasn't changed. Nothing has dripped on the floor, and that tiny droplet you see in that pic has remained static since this morning. :(

Regards,
David

Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Welcome to car ownership.... Just remember to enjoy your car....don't go OVERLY ocd on us!! Going back with a new car to have them look is s GREAT thing... Do regularly check your cars oil level...mini's DO tend to burn+ leak a bit...many have been mortally wounded by owners letting them run low or out....don't be one of THOSE folks...lol... But have fun with you car!! Now go for a Sunday drive!! And by low I mean MORE THAN A FULL QUART....as long as the oil level in somewhere in the middle you are fine....checking oil is kinda imprecise.... Important thing is you keep it closer to the full than below the add mark.
Zippy, thanks for the tip and feedback my friend. MINI Newby here, so any advice from the more experienced owner(s) is most welcome and appreciated. Regards, David Sent from my iPad Air using

Old 03-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Hi Eddie, Thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow I'm going to call the dealership and see if I can schedule an appt. for the leak. My wife says maybe I should wait a while (like the dealer said) and see if that goes away. I didn't drive it on the car ramps to see as I'm afraid of what I might see. I know this is going to sound stupid. However, I feel this strange attachment to this little car. Maybe it's because it reminds me of my college days when I drove a Honda cvcc (the first car I learned how to drive a stick with) and one couldn't kill that thing. I remember it was tiny, and the front dash was kinda curved. Well, this MINI for some reason has this place in my heart. It's small, roundish, reliable, manual speed and I just feel attached to it. Odd coming from a 53 year old man huh? All this said, I baby my MINI, not because he's new, but because I really like him. I've hand waxed him twice to protect against the Florida sun, last Thursday I tinted his windows, using high end tint, to reduce inside temperature by 30 degrees, I detailed the inside with protectant, and yesterday received my MINI sun deflector for the front windshield (seen here). So here he is, ready for the workweek (topped-of with Shell V-Power 93 octane which is a Top Tier listed merchant), in my driveway. Last night I kept thinking about that darn oil leak. Hope everything will be ok (fingers crossed). Regards, David Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring
No, not strange. These cars evoke a lot of emotion. And they are a lot of fun. My first car was an MGA; talk about oil leaks... Now many years later we have 2 MINIs. The older one has been spot perfect; the newer one has been in the shop a few times. Even so, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Remember, the readers here can only guess as to what the problem actually is. Your dealer will know for sure. Have faith, your dealer will take care of things for you.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
Yes, do not give up on your MINI just yet. Your warranty will cover the issues, as long as you leave it to the dealership.
I am now on my second MINI, a 2014 clubman. My first was a 2009 justa. I cannot imagine ever driving anything other than a MINI. I passed up a good deal on a new Volvo, in order to get the clubman.
Cheers.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Thanks guys!! I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I stumbled across this MINI commercial. Cute! Though something tells me my wife was more interested in the owner/driver than Spike or the car itself.

Quick Reply: Oh nooooo!!! New Mini, tiny spot of oil. :(