MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > MINIs in General > 1st Gear
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Longest Car Jump
by sndwave
1 Replies, 27 Views
Ordered today!
39 Replies, 1,849 Views
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
MINI Fuel Injector cleaning

I just brought in my 2010 MINI Clubman S for service because of the engine fan was continuously on and it drained the battery. The dealer was telling me that I needed a fuel injector cleaning. The MINI has 13500 miles on it. They are charging $265 and I declined. What is the best cost efficient way of making sure the fuel injector is clean? Is there something I can do by myself to keep the fuel injectors clean?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I cannot believe you would need that after the mileage you've recorded. Don't bother with the cleaning; it's just a big money maker for the dealer. Use a top tier gas and after more mileage use an additive like Techron to keep things clean.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
get Cheveron techron and put it in every other fillup. the Mini brand injector cleaner is techron in a mini bottle and sells for double what techron costs (around $6 for a 15 gal. treatment). I verified this with a Mini tech. the bottles are even the same with different logos.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Neutral

Gallery
Same thing happened to me with just below 13K miles. I declined the service ($265). The charge for adding the additive to the fuel tank was $69.95. I will do the Techron myself.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanstpierre View Post
get Cheveron techron and put it in every other fillup
way overkill when using decent fuel.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdls1981 View Post
I just brought in my 2010 MINI Clubman S for service because of the engine fan was continuously on and it drained the battery. The dealer was telling me that I needed a fuel injector cleaning. The MINI has 13500 miles on it. They are charging $265 and I declined. What is the best cost efficient way of making sure the fuel injector is clean? Is there something I can do by myself to keep the fuel injectors clean?
I really don't think your fan was staying on cause of dirty injectors. The fan staying on has mostly likely to do with the thermostat being faulty. I would get that looked into.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
never let Mini put fuel cleaner in your Mini as they rip you off. their fuel system cleaner is Chevron Techron in a Mini labled bottle. don't buy it from the dealer either as they will charge you close to double what you pay for the same Chevron Techron. I put Techron in every third fillup. some people think this is a waste, however, the injectors on the MCS direct injection engines have openings the diameter of a human hair and can be clogged very easily---why take a chance for $6 every third fillup?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Where's the best place to get the Chevron Techron? My Mini has 60k on it now and I do use Kwik Trip Top Tier 91 Octane, but an injector cleaner additive wouldn't be a bad idea once in a while. Where can a guy get this stuff?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Redline SI-1
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 06MCS View Post
Where's the best place to get the Chevron Techron? My Mini has 60k on it now and I do use Kwik Trip Top Tier 91 Octane, but an injector cleaner additive wouldn't be a bad idea once in a while. Where can a guy get this stuff?
Advance auto or autozone. I think even walmart carries it.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 06MCS View Post
WallyWorld even has it.
I use it about every 3K miles and always use 93 octane Shell or Chevron.
No problems with fouling, misfires, stalling, or stumbling.
Once a week blow the little bugger out (give it a good run through the gears). Mine is an auto and I use the paddles at that point. Fun.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimmons View Post
WallyWorld even has it.
I use it about every 3K miles and always use 93 octane Shell or Chevron.
No problems with fouling, misfires, stalling, or stumbling.
Once a week blow the little bugger out (give it a good run through the gears). Mine is an auto and I use the paddles at that point. Fun.
I picked the Techron up at Wally World and have it in the tank with a fresh top off of Kwik Trip 92 Octane fuel. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
I had a similar situation with my '12 Cooper with 18k miles. I had it in for free oil change and they wanted me to do port and injector cleaning totaling about $350. They implied that it had to be done every 15k miles in order to keep my CPO warranty valid. Hmmm.

Also told me I must use 93 octane and BP or Sunnoco only. Original dealer and manual says 89 is OK.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy400 View Post
I had a similar situation with my '12 Cooper with 18k miles. I had it in for free oil change and they wanted me to do port and injector cleaning totaling about $350. They implied that it had to be done every 15k miles in order to keep my CPO warranty valid. Hmmm.

Also told me I must use 93 octane and BP or Sunnoco only. Original dealer and manual says 89 is OK.
I'd say show me in the owners manual where it says that at ? I'd say some of you have a real problem with your dealerships. I'd be calling MINI USA and asking them about the scams. Also be carefull on that octane rating, I believe that octane formula is the EU standard which equates to 91 OCT US

Adam DFW Texas

His 2013 MINI Clubman S Kite Blue JB+ JCW 18.5 K&N Typhoon
Aero Custom Exhaust Rota SB Khumo 215/45/17
Hers 2011 MINI Cooper S Horizon Blue JB+ Conti DW 205/50/16
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM