1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Post @ NAM

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
dr bubba
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Post @ NAM

Hello Everyone!

As the owner of my first ever MINI, a new ’09 Clubman, I am a complete “MINI Rookie” and this is my first post at NAM. I’ve enjoyed reading posts on the various threads and I’m wondering … if a group of whales is a pod, a group of deer is a herd, a group of larks is an exaltation, and a group of crows is a murder, what is a group of MINI Coopers? If no such group name exists, may I propose a “Maximum of MINIs or for short a “Maxi of MINIs?”

For the record my MINI is a 2009 Clubman in British Racing Green with Silver top and C-pillars, Steptronic auto trans, convenience package, multi-function wheel, anti-theft, roof rails, center arm rest, sport seats, fog lights, chrome mirror caps, 16” Bridge spoke alloy wheels, and invisible bra. I’ve had the clubbie for 3 weeks, the odometer shows 700 miles, and I’m liking the experience more and more every time I lower myself into the cockpit.

A bit about me. I’m in my 60’s, retired a year, 6’6” tall, and am living proof that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. About 6 months ago my wife cajoled me into sitting in a used Cooper on a local car dealer’s lot. She was curious to see how I’d fit in the car. See, most cars are too small inside, have excessively large center consoles, and don’t fit me very well … which is one of the reasons I like to drive trucks. Our other family vehicle is my 16-year-old Ford pickup. Anyway, up to that time I’d not given MINIs much thought one way or the other. Man was I surprised to find out how much r-o-o-m there was in a MINI cockpit. There was plenty of leg and head room (even when I wore a hat) and it felt pretty comfortable sitting in the driver’s seat. I was shocked and surprised at how such a small car could be so comfortable. Well … that lead to a test drive at the local MINI dealership. Tried both a coupe with a stick and a clubbie with an automatic. The clubbie was the clear choice because it had that “skosh” more interior room, the club doors were both handy and cool, and as an old guy I didn’t want to manually shift gears every 500 yards at every stoplight. Plus, being able to drop the Steptronic auto trans into “sport” mode and shift with wheel-mounted shifters meant we could have the best of both worlds … no manual shifting in town and sportier performance with manual gear selection when we want it. How could we lose? We placed an order that day in August and our new “baby” was delivered in December. I’m having to wait a bit to complete the MINI experience because I’d just renewed the registration on our trade-in vehicle so we transferred the plates to our MINI. I’m gonna have to wait until that registration expires to get my vanity plate.

Random observations.

1. It still feels pretty “odd” for me to be driving a MINI, but I’m getting over that feeling pretty quickly.

2. It feels pretty cool to be part of the MINI family, and people smile every time they see our car. It’s not uncommon for people to pass us by on the highway and have everyone the passing car swivel their heads to check us out.

3. It’s really fun to see the look on people’s faces when we park and I get out of the car. The typical comment I get is “How do you fit in there?” That cracks me up, and when I show ‘em almost to a person they’re surprised … just like I was.

4. I’ve seen perhaps 6-8 clubbies driving around town, and more and more are showing up everyday. My gut hunch (and not because I just got one myself) is that the Clubman is going to be a very popular car.

5. The first accessory I got was a pair of rear seat lift straps from GoMINIGo at http://www.gominigo.com/back-straps.html. They’re a terrific addition and make lowering and raising the rear seats a breeze. I recommend ‘em.

6. I really appreciate the threads at North American Motoring … I’ve learned a lot in short period of time. What a great resource!

7. Prior to owning a MINI I had no idea how much fun they are to drive. My experience suggests that you can use all the words in the world to describe the MINI driving experience, but until you get behind the wheel and negotiate a few twistys, you have no clue. I’m so glad my wife started the MINI ball rolling … I’m having a blast driving ours.

8. I love the simplicity of the MINI dash layout. Form follows function, simplicity is elegance, and the MINI has both in spades. Once you learn the “code” the MINI is drop dead simple … and I love that!. Sure, it would be nice to have a couple of gauges instead of “idiot lights,” but I liken the MINI to the Mac … straightforward, simple design, everything just works, and I can now see how (just like with the Mac) “once you go MINI you never go back.”

OK. That’s me, that’s my MINI, that’s my experience after 3 weeks of “motoring,” that’s my story … and I’m stickin’ to it.

So, are we gonna call a group of MINIs a “Maxi of MINIs?”

dr. bubba, hisownself

Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Welcome to NAM!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
How about a "Club" of MINIs?
Welcome

Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Heyyy Welcome to the CLUB!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Dr Bubba,

Congratulations! I'm still waiting on a new Justacooper. Actually my my daughter is getting it, but I know I am more anxious and excited about it than her. She's in grad school so still at home. She had a Jetta, getting a Cooper. I told her I would switch with her and let her drive my Audi A4 Ragtop any time!
I'm 57 and thinking I might just decide to sell the Audi in the not to distant future and get me my own Mini My wife likes the BMW X3. So she drives that to the grocery store and around. And it's always available when we need a bigger vehicle. I'll try to get her to drive the Mini a bit so she can see how easy a car it is to drive..and fun! The audi a4 convertible is a nice ride but I'm thinking later this year...a Mini for me too.
Enjoy it Bubba!!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wecome dr bubba! Hmmmm, so MINI maxi, could be .... or maybe a MINI maxed!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Hey dr bubba, Welcome from North Carolina.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM
dr bubba
Neutral
My First Post @ NAM

Thanks to one and all who replied to my maiden post on NAM. I like the idea of a "Club" of MINIs ... but wouldn't that only apply to the clubbie crowd like me? A "Maximum or Maxi" of MINIs would apply to everybody, and I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. Whatever term becomes the standard it should be generic like "pod" of whales, "covey" of quail or "pride" of lions. If anyone has any cool alternatives to "Maximum" I'd love to hear 'em.

Anyhow, it's great to hear from everyone. I'm sure I'll be posting again with questions, questions, questions. Right now I'm focusing on the best method for washing, detailing, and taking care of the new "baby" in the family. I've seen lots of rave reviews on NAM for Hydro, so I got a bottle and can't wait to try it out. I also got a bottle of Clarity and will be using that PDQ 'cause we motored to the beach yesterday to visit relatives and in the process picked up some pretty gooey film on the windscreen. Must have been leftover de-icing agent from the recent "Snowapalooza 2008" we had in mid-late December. I'm trying not to be OCD about it, but when that BRG Clubbie is clean and shiny ... why she's just BEAU-TI-FUL! Everytime I stop in front of a reflective storefront plate glass window I can't help but pinch myself ... 'cuz I'M DRIVING A MINI!!

Peace be 'da journey, Mon!

dr bubba hisownself

Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
Welcome, We are awaiting delivery of our Mini as it's currrently on ship in the Mid-Atlantic. I'm glad you are so sprited about your Mini, We can't wait Congrats

Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the "Maxi of MINIs"! Good idea!

And welcome Glad you are enjoying your Clubbie!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Welcome Dr. Bubba! Though I'm not your size, I share your enthusiasm for the MINI in whatever flavor one happens to have. I've had mine since late-August and now it's got about 9,000 miles on it! I like your idea of naming the pod of MINIs something and was stuck by the name you chose. Shortly after I got my MINI, someone pointed me to this thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/new-york-...-maxamini.html. Seems there has been a Maxa of MINIs, and he's legendary. I don't know that that necessarily precludes the name from taking on another meaning, in fact it might be a great honor. I read all the posts in the forementioned thread. For anyone who's into the MINI, Maxamini seems like he should be part of the history lesson!

Have fun and welcome, once again!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 AM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
Here's what I'm thinking. A "Rally of MINIs". Just a thought as I can see Mini owners do enjoy a good rally.