JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW R56 S JCW Dyno results

Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 S JCW Dyno results

OK, to preface, there are not mine... I cut and pasted them from somewhere else, so I can't comment on any of the other dyno intracacies that may have been involved.

That said, I think they are pretty representative of what we've been expecting to see out of the Stage 1 JCW and consistant with what many of us have described with regards to the ECU effect of the power curve itself.

So 189.9 bhp at the wheels, 204.1 bhp at the crank and 206.6 lb/ft of torque at 4566 rpm .

That's such a nice smooooootttthhhhh power curve, too ! You will definately get more power from some of the aftermarket verndors for the same price (Alta's showing 250+ with various combinations of their accessories!!!)... but I haven't seen anyone showing that smooth of a delivery just yet. They all still have that dreadded dip around 3000 rpm. It's the best part about the JCW kit IMO. It just makes the car that much more drivable.

I figure once I get brave I'll tap into a little more power using Alta's boost tubes, turbo inlet and intercooler. That should be good for another 25-30bhp. I think I'd be more than happy sitting in the 210-215 at the wheels and 215 lb/ft of torque give-or-take .

One can dream !

Last edited by msh441; 11-20-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
OK, to preface, there are not mine... I cut and pasted them from somewhere else, so I can't comment on any of the other dyno intracacies that may have been involved.

That said, I think they are pretty representative of what we've been expecting to see out of the Stage 1 JCW and consistant with what many of us have described with regards to the ECU effect of the power curve itself.

So 189.9 bhp at the wheels, 204.1 bhp at the crank and 206.6 lb/ft of torque at 4566 rpm .

That's such a nice smooooootttthhhhh power curve, too ! You will definately get more power from some of the aftermarket verndors for the same price (Alta's showing 250+ with various combinations of their accessories!!!)... but I haven't seen anyone showing that smooth of a delivery just yet. They all still have that dreadded dip around 3000 rpm. It's the best part about the JCW kit IMO. It just makes the car that much more drivable.

I figure once I get brave I'll tap into a little more power using Alta's boost tubes, turbo inlet and intercooler. That should be good for another 25-30bhp. I think I'd be more than happy sitting in the 210-215 at the wheels and 215 lb/ft of torque give-or-take .

One can dream !
Yeah i posted this one from a member who had her car RR here in Scotland. I agree with the very smooth power / torque curves. However i think the top line power maybe higher as the drivetrain losses shown above are only around 8%, surely these should be nearer 13% and if so the crank HP must be above 204hp.

Next step for mine is the ALTA turbo inlet and if i like that, then the boost tubes and the GTT stealth cat. That should put it at around 250hp for another £750 and still look pretty stock.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice curves.

I thought the JCW kit had a higher rev limit, but you graphs stop at 6500?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bhatch
nice curves.

I thought the JCW kit had a higher rev limit, but you graphs stop at 6500?
I don't think the rev limit is any higher, but peak power is now at 6k revs rather than 5.5k revs.

IIRC rev limit is around 6.8k for both.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 AM
clubspec330i
2nd Gear
That pretty smooth delivery of power. Dyno is one thing, daily usage and drivability is another. I wonder how it drives against Alta and other aftermarket tunners out there.

All and all, pretty decent power from 1.6 litre engine.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Chris56S
2nd Gear
Can anyone point to a reliable set of 0-60 results with the JCW Stage 1? I've only seen one set of results and they were not impressive (leading me to believe that possibly with another driver it could have been much better).

[Edited to disclose that I'm giving serious consideration to investing in the JCW kit. ]

Last edited by Chris56S; 11-20-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:25 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smoothness has always been the draw of the JCW (along with warranty considerations). Before I purchased my 06 Factory JCW, I drove a couple of modded Mini's, w/15% & 17% reduced pulleys and Alta air intakes. What I found was that as much fun as the modded cars were, I really liked the buttery smooth delivery of the JCW. I a can only imagine it's the same difference with the new car as well!

function __RP_Callback_Helper(str, strCallbackEvent, splitSize, func){var event = null;if (strCallbackEvent){event = document.createEvent('Events');event.initEvent(str CallbackEvent, true, true);}if (str && str.length > 0){var splitList = str.split('|');var strCompare = str;if (splitList.length == splitSize)strCompare = splitList[splitSize-1];var pluginList = document.plugins;for (var count = 0; count < pluginList.length; count++){var sSrc = '';if (pluginList[count] && pluginList[count].src)sSrc = pluginList[count].src;if (strCompare.length >= sSrc.length){if (strCompare.indexOf(sSrc) != -1){func(str, count, pluginList, splitList);break;}}}}if (strCallbackEvent)document.body.dispatchEvent(even t);}function __RP_Coord_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Left = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Top = splitList[1];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Right = splitList[2];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Bottom = splitList[3];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-js-coord-callback', 5, func);}function __RP_Url_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Vid = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Parent = splitList[1];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-js-url-callback', 3, func);}function __RP_TotalBytes_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback_Bytes = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}function __RP_Connection_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback_Url = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
If the faint blue lines represent the baseline, then it is smoother than the upper red line. What is that blue line?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
scott48
6th Gear
I'm sure there's no dip cause of the ecu tune, so once we get the Alta one....look out!!

Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 AM
gasss
Neutral
Really interesting, the first dyno graphs jcw that i have saw, in Europe or USA, thx.

In Spain, most of stock units dyno results, always talking about power engine, are about 200-210cv (hp), with around 300nm, i dont know why this different powers between usa and europe versions, even taking bmw power announced (172-175).

This is my dyno graph, all engine stock, in next weeks we´ll have dyno results about european MCS R56 with jcw, i´ll post then.

regards from Madrid

Last edited by gasss; 12-16-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gasss
Really interesting, the first dyno graphs jcw that i have saw, in Europe or USA, thx.

In europe, most of stock units dyno results, always talking about power engine, are about 200-210cv (hp), with around 300nm, i dont know why this different powers between usa and europe versions, even taking bmw power announced (172-175).

This is my dyno graph, all engine stock, in next weeks we´ll have dyno results about european MCS R56 with jcw, i´ll post then.

regards from Madrid
The dyno graphs posted in first post are of a european spec JCW.

This graph above looks like a JCW graph, as it's making peak power at 6k revs rather than 5.5k revs as a stock R56 MCS does / should.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:09 AM
gasss
Neutral
Originally Posted by japper
The dyno graphs posted in first post are of a european spec JCW.

This graph above looks like a JCW graph, as it's making peak power at 6k revs rather than 5.5k revs as a stock R56 MCS does / should.
Upps, sorry, i thought it was an usa spec jcw MCS R56.

The graph i post upper, is about a R56 MCS fully engine stock and only 4500km on OBD at "dyno-day", sure, is my car , most of european graph Stock MCS R56 i´ve saw, make peak power about 5900-6100rpm, like mine, not 5500rpm.

In a few weeks a couple of friends will have the jcw engine kit on in their cars, then i´ll post the dyno graph to compare results.

regards from Madrid

Last edited by gasss; 11-22-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I've seen a dyno of a US spec JCW r56 and it DID have a dip around 3k.

Perhaps they have a slightly different tune in Europe?

Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Of note: non-U.S. spec R56 MCS's do not use MAF, which means their ECU setup is different, thus torque curves may vary from the U.S. spec cars.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I've seen a dyno of a US spec JCW r56 and it DID have a dip around 3k.

Perhaps they have a slightly different tune in Europe?
Where?

Link, please.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Where?

Link, please.

no link. I'll have to scan it

friend of mine had his dynoed at a local shop. I have a copy of the printout at work but the scanner there sucks. I'll probably have to bring it home to get a good scan. He had two runs on it - it was obvious one run had the overboost kick in and one did not.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 11-25-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sutter2k
In an all out race, where people are in the upper rpms, this doesn't really appear to be noticeably faster. Around town driving in may to be snappier, but we need some more mods that increase peak HP in the upper area of the curve
first welcome to the board.
second - it helps across the board but more so at top end so I don't get your statement.
Have you been lurking on the boards awhile studying or have you jumped in fresh?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Here is the dyno plot I was talking about that shows the dip in the US version of the JCW. The guy didn't have his MINI broken in yet so told the guy to let off at 5k rpm so it may not show peak hp, but you can see the dip. There are two runs on this graph. Figures are at the wheels.
As I mentioned earlier my scanner at work sucks.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
gasss
Neutral
Here is the dyno plot I was talking about that shows the dip in the US version of the JCW. The guy didn't have his MINI broken in yet so told the guy to let off at 5k rpm so it may not show peak hp, but you can see the dip. There are two runs on this graph. Figures are at the wheels.

is it an usa spec jcw R56? , sorry, but surely is one of the worst dyno graph that i´ve ever saw talking about MCS R56, max power at 5100rpm? torque up and down? , i suppose that this engine has serious problems.

thx for show us the graph motormouth

regards from Madrid

Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gasss
is it an usa spec jcw R56? , sorry, but surely is one of the worst dyno graph that i´ve ever saw talking about MCS R56, max power at 5100rpm? torque up and down? , i suppose that this engine has serious problems.

thx for show us the graph motormouth

regards from Madrid
Here is the dyno plot I was talking about that shows the dip in the US version of the JCW. The guy didn't have his MINI broken in yet so told the guy to let off at 5k rpm so it may not show peak hp, but you can see the dip. . Figures are at the wheels.

read the paragraph before the graph. =)

It's actually not bad with 196 torque at the wheels. The torque up and down is pretty normal in most plots I've seen.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 11-29-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Here is the dyno plot I was talking about that shows the dip in the US version of the JCW. The guy didn't have his MINI broken in yet so told the guy to let off at 5k rpm so it may not show peak hp, but you can see the dip.
Thanks MM. Still not that far off from the Euro-spec chart if you look close. Some variations, but still smoothed out the 3000 RPM trench somewhat. More of a leveling of hp & a dip in torque vs. the chasm which was there as stock. Fairly consistant with what I'm feeling at 10K miles. I think it might be exaggerated a bit on that chart, though... as the overboost kicking in early on (on one run, at least), as the operator is looking to chop the throddle at 5K.

Last edited by msh441; 11-30-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:01 AM
gasss
Neutral
read the paragraph before the graph. =)

It's actually not bad with 196 torque at the wheels. The torque up and down is pretty normal in most plots I've seen.
ok, i saw the graph but i didnt read the post completly, sorry, so, i think would be very interesting to know the complete curve rpm results, a graph showing results until the redline, or at least 6200rpm.

regards from Madrid

Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Other than "feel" is the car isn't any faster.
Yeah, i am really waiting for 7k redline and 200whp at it. That would be really nice.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Thanks,
I've been lurking.
Currently have an 05 legacy gt with ~373whp/390wtq. I am happy with it, but may be interested in a mini, 08 sti, evo x in 9 months or so.

back to topic....

In a highway race, the mid range isn't going to do anything for you after the initial jump. Hopefully other mods open up the top end.
Perhaps the turbo is just out of breath and the point so there is not much to be gained after 4700 rpms. Either way, since there is no increase after 4600rpm 1/4 mile Mph has hardly be affected. Other than "feel" is the car isn't any faster.
I think the Alta turbo upgrade has exactly what you are looking for.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=121411

Old 12-07-2007, 12:49 AM
msh441
6th Gear
...Either way, since there is no increase after 4600rpm 1/4 mile Mph has hardly be affected. Other than "feel" is the car isn't any faster.
Which graph are you looking at? I'm not sure that that's an accurate statement based on what's been thrown up there so far. Sure, torque appears to taper off at about that point, but horsepower takes over at speed and continues to climb 'til a couple hundred RPM before redline.

Originally Posted by Bhatch
Yeah, i am really waiting for 7k redline and 200whp at it. That would be really nice.
I don't know about the 7000 rpm redline... but 200bhp is not far off with the JCW kit. If the R56S JCW is putting out 189-192 bhp at the wheels right now... throw Alta's boost tube, turbo inlet hose and intercooler. If you get half the horsepower their claiming, I think you'd see that 200bhp figure at the wheels, easy.

I have a dyno scheduled for the 15th to get a baseline for myself. I'll scan and post as soon as I can.

Last edited by msh441; 12-07-2007 at 12:59 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW R56 S JCW Dyno results