Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Front License plate holder

Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
FP
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License plate holder

Has anyone come up with a front license plate holder that attaches from below the bumper, right where the bumper grill is, so that we don't have to drill on the front of the bumper?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is one available that fits the tow hook. check out www.gominigo.com

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
There is one available that fits the tow hook. check out www.gominigo.com
yeah, but I don't like how it looks. It's not symmetrical. I was hoping someone fabricated one. Maybe I'll try.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I had made one up a couple of years ago. Thought I had my widgit LOL. Found out it was just TOOOO low. Scraped on everything but, I had mine off to the side as the picture shows. I might end up going back to my design. I had many people at AMVIV two years ago show interest. I would think that if you made it to go in the middle of the bumper, it would scrape even more than mine that was off to the side.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
The license plate base (pn 51-11-0-141-384) for the Aero Kit doesn't require drilling holes in the face of the bumper:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&postcount=27

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
The license plate base (pn 51-11-0-141-384) for the Aero Kit doesn't require drilling holes in the face of the bumper:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&postcount=27
Great, this solution is exactly what I meant. I just didn't articulate it right.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM
FP
5th Gear
It needs to be screwed in from here.

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate holder-minicooper5a.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Hey FPM, lots of other MINI's are running around IL without a front plate, without any issues for those that don't make other issues for LEO's.
Just keep the plate in the door and, if asked your line is, "Mr/Ms LEO, the bumper is new and the plate holder is back ordered, once it comes in I'll get it on, you know these import cars?"
By the way, when are you going to bring your MINI to a local meeting?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:23 PM
AgBul8
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ChicagoMini
Hey FPM, lots of other MINI's are running around IL without a front plate, without any issues for those that don't make other issues for LEO's.
Just stay out of the City. You can get a massive parking ticket for not having a front plate.

I took the cheap way out and copied someone on the board's design that sandwiched the tow hook with two pieces of angle aluminum, and bolted the plate to the face of the aluminum. It's ugly, but completely concealed by the plate. Screw in the tow hook, voila! Hasn't been stolen. Yet.

But, again, the symmetry. Actually, I sort of like the offset look.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChicagoMini
Just keep the plate in the door and, if asked your line is, "Mr/Ms LEO, the bumper is new and the plate holder is back ordered, once it comes in I'll get it on, you know these import cars?"
By the way, when are you going to bring your MINI to a local meeting?
LOL, Already used that line, and Mr. Leo told me he'll be watching for me. I'm going to try to go as long as I can without one, but I'm looking at my options now. I also bought one of those Euro plates that matches my Illinois plate number. Do you think I'll get stopped for illegal display of a plate?

I have to meet some of you locals soon.

Last edited by FP; 11-07-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by FPM

It needs to be screwed in from here:

Yes from underneath ... you won't see the holes if you remove it.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
xizor
4th Gear
I've had a JCW body kit for 3 years, but never put the front plate holder on. My wife wants it on now that we have a newborn so she doesn't get pulled over with him.

Attaching the holder to the car is straight forward, but I cannot figure out how in the world the plate attaches to the holder itself. It cant screw in the top because there's no room since its flush aainst the bumper. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:32 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a much sturdier tow-hole mount:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uct/339/cat/58

Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 AM
bunce
1st Gear
where can you buy the aero plate holder? (besides from the dealer)

Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
MiniBetterThanBeer
2nd Gear
Wish I knew about this when I first got my car:

http://www.skene.org/bmw/plate/

Site to order from:
http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.htm

Quite expensive at $50 but if my dealer hadn't already drilled into the bumper...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 PM
kimoz
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FPM
I also bought one of those Euro plates that matches my Illinois plate number. Do you think I'll get stopped for illegal display of a plate?
I keep my euro plate on May-Nov never a problem. I take it off b/c of the snow here in Ohio. I also keep the other plate in mini just in case. My line would be "I was at a mini meet and will change it back when I get home".

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM
revray
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you could just decide to forego a front license plate altogether. My state requires them, but like many others, I've decided to wait until the police force me to before putting my front plate back on.

_

Old 06-25-2009, 01:26 PM
tdiguy
1st Gear
> Quite expensive at $50 but if my dealer hadn't already drilled into the bumper...

Boy--just installed mine last night, and indeed, VERY expensive for what it is. And those two smalls crews and adhesive to hold it to the bumper just do not look that reliable.......

Will let you know if it falls off.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I have considered purchasing a front no holes license plate holder, but came up with an idea to fabricate my own by using an extra tow hook I bought before the realization of one being in the tool kit --then I purchased a 5/16" wire rope clip(at the local Ace Hardware store)--bolted that clip to the tow hook and then to a spare license plate from old-using that plate as the frame. Then I attached the front plate to that "frame" plate through the four holes and voila. Total cost was about $23.00 for the tow hook,wire clip, four bolts and six nylon threaded attaching nuts . Sorry I don't have pics yet.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Dinan604
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
I have considered purchasing a front no holes license plate holder, but came up with an idea to fabricate my own by using an extra tow hook I bought before the realization of one being in the tool kit --then I purchased a 5/16" wire rope clip(at the local Ace Hardware store)--bolted that clip to the tow hook and then to a spare license plate from old-using that plate as the frame. Then I attached the front plate to that "frame" plate through the four holes and voila. Total cost was about $23.00 for the tow hook,wire clip, four bolts and six nylon threaded attaching nuts . Sorry I don't have pics yet.
Very ingenious. I was thinking the other day about how to rig something up using the existing tow hook I have. Looking forward to the pics.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Cody315
1st Gear
Tow hook licensr plate holder

2nd try here....hey, I'm a newby at this. I previously tried downloading some photos of my home-grown tow hook license plate holder from my gallery and lost all I had written here so I'll try again. This time however I won't try and post the photos now but will work on it later. Sorry for the inconvenience, but there are 5 photos in the gallery which show a basically very simple tow hook license plate holder. Although I did have access to a lathe for the nylon bushing and a bandsaw for the aluminum angle stock there is nothing there which couldn't be done by hand and a little creativity for the bushing.
If I did it correctly, (big 'IF'), there should be a description next to each photo for more clarification of that photo. Certainly not as sleek as some that can be purchased, but the material price was right and it made for a fun evening figuring it out and making it. Hope it will be of some help to those of you who like to make things!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by revray
Or you could just decide to forego a front license plate altogether. My state requires them, but like many others, I've decided to wait until the police force me to before putting my front plate back on.

_
that what i did and i put my front license plate in my trunk to show officers if they ask for it..

Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Here is mine. I had my cooper bumper laying around with the plate insert so I used that and zip tied it to the grill. If I keep it I'll cut the side parts off to clean it up.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Or you could try this

Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM
o5PepperWhite
1st Gear
Im from the Chi too. I was running around with no front plate for awhile. Never been stopped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Front License plate holder