Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooling fan stays on long after the car is off...

Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling fan stays on long after the car is off...

Hey everyone,

I have an 04 MCS and after a relatively long drive the fan doesnt quit for a while after i turn the car off. It goes on a lot when it is idling, too. Any speculation as to if there is something wrong? Other MINIs dont sound like that., that ive heard at least.

Thanks,
Marco

Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check for coolant leaks, if you dont see any you may need a new assembly.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
Hey everyone,

I have an 04 MCS and after a relatively long drive the fan doesnt quit for a while after i turn the car off. It goes on a lot when it is idling, too. Any speculation as to if there is something wrong? Other MINIs dont sound like that., that ive heard at least.
Does it eventually go off? If it does it is probably normal. It doesn't happen every time I assume. But there was a problem with the fan assemblies that caused them to stay on and not go off until the battery drained. That problem did require a new assembly as the thermostat is not replaceable on its own. Mine was changed under warranty. That said, Artoo, blows the fans lots of times at idle and after a spirited run.

Rich

Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM
JRhea
3rd Gear
Coolant Fans Running a long time

My fan started running run for five to seven minutes after I shut the car off. I solved my problem by adding water to the nearly dry reservoir. Now it's back to normal.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
cmy
1st Gear
Coolant sensor housing

This happened to me earlier this summer. The housing on the coolant sensor had become corroded and caused a leak. Not sure how many coolant sensors there are or where they are located, but I think it was near the thermostat.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
element
3rd Gear
what resivoir did you add water to?? Coolant? Mine has always done this and never experienced any other problems..

Old 08-19-2007, 08:26 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
It hasnt been as prevalent as it was when it was hotter, but i havent looked into it at all. Ill check the reservoir...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Discosmurf
4th Gear
Hi - didn't want to start a new thread because I figured this is where my question would probably be directed.

Anyhoo, on Monday, I noticed that my 02 MCS's fan still had not shut off after a normal day of driving. (BTW - I drive back and forth on the beltway 5 days a week and deal with moderate to heavy traffic, if that can be taken into consideration.) However, I assumed that it would shut off after a while. It had done that before, where the fan would last for what seemed like forever and then eventually shut off. When I got in my car about an hour later (the fan was no longer running so, I assumed that everything was fine) the car would not start at all. We tried jumpstarting and turned out that the battery had 29 watts left out of 550 watts; so I ended up buying a new one. To make this a shorter story, I now have to disconnect and reconnect the battery in order for the fan to shut off and not drain the battery.

What does it all mean? Am I going to need a new assembly like you all stated here? Help, please.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Discosmurf
4th Gear
Oh, and p.s. my car has 104,800 miles :(

Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
See this thread for fan stays on issues:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...an#post1020468

If ???? you can take apart the fan by seperating the shrouds ...RELAY, MAKE CONTACT, WHITE GREEN161360141229 is the part to replace. Otherwise it is included in the entire fan assembly.

Find the correct plug and you can turn the fan off without disconnecting the battery every time ..... until you get it repaired.

Last edited by Speedwing; 09-13-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Discosmurf
4th Gear
Thanks Speedwing.

I followed the link and several other links that gave a lot of useful information.

But, get this. Yesterday, after reconnecting the battery when I left work (mind you, it had been sitting for about 8 hrs) I drove in pretty heavy, stop-and-go traffic for about 1 1/2 hrs and when I got to my destination, the fan stopped. But, with my luck and being the worry-wort that I am, I disconnected the battery anyway.

I got home later and decided to give it a try and not disconnect the battery; this morning it started fine.

How weird is that!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Smurf .... Probably the new battery has now properly charged and has enough current to operate the fan relay. If this is true .... the fan was telling you to replace the bad battery!!! Heat can really kill a battery fast.

Keep an eye on it and good luck!!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Discosmurf
4th Gear
Yes, I will! Thanks a lot!!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been through this a couple times and yet to replace anything. I replaced the battery a few weeks prior to the first instance. It just seems that after a couple days the fan switches correctly again. I disconnected the battery just to see if letting the system reset after a few hours of no power will again get it back to working correctly. We'll see in the morning.

I've also considered installing a kill switch to make turning off the fan convenient. At least until I can get to replacing the fan motor.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:31 PM
StanMort
1st Gear
Deleted

Last edited by StanMort; 09-20-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Bajanmini
3rd Gear
I also had this for 2 days,and then lots of click click click as in the relay and all works fine now that was a year ago if not more knock wood.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 AM
StanMort
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bajanmini
I also had this for 2 days,and then lots of click click click as in the relay and all works fine now that was a year ago if not more knock wood.
Where exactly is the relay? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 AM
yuille36
1st Gear
I have an 03 MCS, and my fan comes on. This is normal when the thermostat hits a certain temperature, the coolant fan will come on. It's no big secret. But it shouldn't stay on for an extended peiod of time, to where the battery drains excessively. My fan kicks on, and runs for about three minutes or so, then shuts off. The next time, it does its thing, I will check my coolant level. I beleive a low coolant level will cause this, because the engine is running a little hot at that point. But my temperature gauge, registers normal and that's weird. I know about cars, and if a coolant fans runs, then your temp gauge should register it. But hey mini's have alot of quarks.....Just my two cents.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yuille36
I have an 03 MCS, and my fan comes on. This is normal when the thermostat hits a certain temperature, the coolant fan will come on. It's no big secret. But it shouldn't stay on for an extended peiod of time, to where the battery drains excessively. My fan kicks on, and runs for about three minutes or so, then shuts off. The next time, it does its thing, I will check my coolant level. I beleive a low coolant level will cause this, because the engine is running a little hot at that point. But my temperature gauge, registers normal and that's weird. I know about cars, and if a coolant fans runs, then your temp gauge should register it. But hey mini's have alot of quarks.....Just my two cents.
The temperature gauge is non linear on the MINI; it will remain in the middle as long as the actual temp is in the expected range, as soon as the temp gets outside of the acceptable range the gauge will shoot to the maximum setting without any hesitation. Although its a gauge, it behaves like an idiot light.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yuille36, also remember the cooling fan reacts to the A/C system pressure, not just on coolant temperature. When it runs excessively, like more than a few minutes after turning off the vehicle, the system is broke and needs fixed. As it starts to fail, it can be a intermittent problem at first, but it will eventually fail for good. Three minutes is not really excessive, but more like normal dependent upon the conditions.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:01 PM
TheArch0n
Neutral
Hey guys mine is kinda doing the same thing with a few more quirks. I have an 2006 Mini that when i take it for a short drive then park it and keep it running the fan will go nuts and the reservoir for the radiator fluid will have about an extra 2 cups of fluid in it. So i figured it was a stuck thermostat. So i changed that out but it still does it. Mind you I have never let it get low on radiator fluid. Also when the car is in park and running after going for a drive the fan is NOT on. When the fan does turn on there is a loud chugging sound (the back flush of the fluid into the reservoir) and then the fan kicks on full blast. My temp gauge never leaves the middle point and the fan stops after about 3 minutes. I'm stumped....

The following users liked this post:
urbaneR52 (10-27-2020)