Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacement battery options for MC

Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Replacement battery options for MC

Thought this subject needed a dedicated R50 MC thread, since some of the
batteries that fit the MCS's dont seem to fit in the MC's, and they're going
to start failing and will need to replaced, not necessarily with the OEM part.

Please post on what does and doesn't fit the 2002 - 2006 MC, or what minor modifications
need to be done to make a particular battery fit.

See next post for what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by cristo; 12-20-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
According to various threads on NAM,

It's said that these batteries don't fit the MC:

Sears Die Hard International #33347

Everstart (? model # - made by Johnson Control)

Everstart 47-3 plus made by Exide - one person said it fit and
one said the restraining bracket doesn't fit without modification.

Interstate Batteries H5-60 (65 month model)...?specs

Interstate MT 47-3 plus

Interstate MT-47 Mega Tron II - it's a little wide for the bracket - it
will fit if you have one side of the bracket pinch the raised edge and ride up
about 3/8 inch. The cover fits if you do that.

Specs 590 CCA, 740 CA, 29.6#, 51 Ah, 612 Whr, Reserve 85 minutes at 25 A.
6.88 W x 9.63 L x 7.00 H

Optima 34R

Krager Auto parts (? which model)

Bosch 47-600B (bracket doesn't fit)

Duralast 47-DL

Autocraft #471 Titanium

NAPA Legend #7547....600 CCA, ? Ah, 85 minutes reserve, 32# ??
(a few reports that this fits perfectly, but two that say the bracket doesn't fit it)
update: the old NAPA 7547 made by Exide did fit, but the new version made by Johnson Control doesn't.

Autocraft Gold 47H5 (650 CCA 100 Reserve 810 CA at 32F) requires shimming and bracket/battery not flush,
but can be done with some extra work.

These batteries are said to fit the MC

?NAPA Legend #7547 ...600 CCA ?Ah, 85 minutes reserve 32# ??
(a few reports that this fits perfectly, but two say the bracket doesn't fit it).
update: the old NAPA 7547 made by Exide did fit, but the new version made by Johnson Control doesn't.

Autozone Duralast Gold H5-DLG ...520 CCA ? other specs

Deka 647MF......600 CCA, 60 Ah, 95 minutes reserve, 36.5#
(fits my car perfectly except the battery box lid sticks up an eighth of an inch on one corner
- no biggy).

the OEM MINI battery (made by Exide) #61 21 6 920 804 ...480 CCA, 55 Ah, 90 min. reserve, 36#

World Source One Battery 550CCA/60AmpHour (? model)

47H5 Gold - from Advance Auto Parts

Continental Supreme 47-72 - from Garnett Auto Supply 550 CCA

AC Delco 47-6YR - 480 CCA, 625 CA, 33.5#, 90 min reserve "perfect fit"

Rayovac Maximum Group 47 H5, model # SLI47H5 - 600 CCA, 28#, 85 min reserve
but two reports that not all of the current models fit - see post #107 and post #117, and the except from post 144 below on the SLI47H5M model:

"Anyway, I can confirm that for me and my '05, the Batteries Plus Rayovac RayMax battery (SLI47H5M 12V 47 RAY MAX 3/65 647MF, L2/47-E108) was a direct, no-modification, drop-in replacement. It even had the vent hole in the exact right spot. I set the two batteries side by side and they were identical in all measurements, the only difference being the color (black vs white for OEM) and the nifty handle which made dropping it in a piece of cake."

"The Everstart Maxx-47N H5 fit absolutely perfect including the vent."

Sears DieHard Advanced Gold 50747 -- 600 CCA 100RC "fits perfectly"

Bosch Premium Performance Battery, H5-650B , after switching the universal vent to the other side.
Slight difference in height, but bracket goes on ok.

Anyone want to add to, confirm or refute the above so I can keep this list accurate
and more complete?

Last edited by cristo; 02-21-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: updated again
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the 34R Optima did fit the R50/Cooper (Non S)...

Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18
I thought I read somewhere that the 34R Optima did fit the R50/Cooper (Non S)...
I'm hoping it does, but alll I could find was this

Plantain wrote -
"I checked out the 34R, and I can see how it will fit the MCS box, but I don't see how it will fit in the MC box which is under the hood. As far as I can see, the entire top of the 34R has no edge which can be grabbed onto using the existing bracket."

Every other postI could find here about the 34R fitting the MINI referred to
the MCS.
Couldn't find anything helpful on mini2.com nor googling.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:18 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My battery died and I just replaced it with the Everstart 47-3 plus (made by Exide) available at Wal-Mart and it fit fine, including the vent tube. However, while the battery cover fits like stock, the restraining strap that holds the OEM battery in place will not work with this one. There's not much room in the battery box to move around so it's probably not a big deal but I'll be fabricating a custom strap over the weekend anyway . . . any excuse to be in the garage.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Thanks, ncdave!
post 2 edited to reflect.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
saturn5rocket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
According to various threads on NAM,

It's said that these batteries don't fit the MC:

Sears Die Hard (? which model#)

Everstart (? model # - made by Johnson Control)

Everstart 47-3 plus made by Exide - one person said it fit and
one said the restraining bracket doesn't fit without modification.

Interstate MT 47-3 plus

Optima 34R

Krager Auto parts (? which model)

Bosch (unknown model)

These batteries are said to fit the MC:

NAPA Legend #7547

Duralast (? model#)

the OEM MINI battery (made by Exide) #61 21 6 920 804

Anyone want to add to, confirm or refute the above so I can keep this list accurate
and more complete?
Autozone sells the Duralast Gold (Part # H5-DLG) that is an exact replacement for the OEM battery $110. The factory strap and the vent tube fit perfectly. Be cafeful not to buy the base Duralast battery ($69). That one is too short and too wide at the top.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Thanks!!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Frank Matyja
Blew By U
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the Optima 34R is an exact fit for the MCS...I have one.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Good info Wes - Thanks! There wasn't a Duralast to be found at the time so I was stuck with the Everlast. Still have the stock strap in my toobox so maybe next time . . .

Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Meltz
1st Gear
I just put in an internstate MT-47 and it fits - sorta. If I put in the battery alone, it sits a bit low in the compartment and the electrode leads have to be angled to fit on the poles. But the restraining strap does hold the battery down.

If I put in a plastic bracket underneath, the electrodes fit perfectly, but the restraining strap doesn't. I'm not sure I need the strap since the battery doesn't seem to be going anywhere...

Also, you have to get the BMW Venting adapter - fits perfectly.

Last edited by Meltz; 07-31-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Kennedy
1st Gear
I fell victim to a dead battery last night. 2003 MC.

It would not jump start at all, the battery was toast.

Luckily Wal-Mart was just a walk across the parking lot. Their Everstart 47-3 will sort of fit. It is too short, the terminals sit too low in the box. The vent tube does not lign up and the retaining strap does not fit. For someone with some DIY skills, the 47-3 can be made to fit, but it is not a direct drop in. In a pinch, it will get you home

I went with a Duralast H5-DLG and it fit perfectly. However, locating one took a few hours. Installation took about 2 minutes.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Kennedy

Wal-Mart was just a walk across the parking lot. Their Everstart 47-3 will sort of fit. It is too short, the terminals sit too low in the box. The vent tube does not lign up and the retaining strap does not fit. For someone with some DIY skills, the 47-3 can be made to fit, but it is not a direct drop in. In a pinch, it will get you home

I went with a Duralast H5-DLG and it fit perfectly. However, locating one took a few hours. Installation took about 2 minutes.
Thanks for the input.

I've updated post #2 a few times since I last posted here.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
MiniFoot
2nd Gear
$101 for the OEM battery at the dealership parts dept (South Motor Mini, Miami FL).

Was quoted $300 for the battery/installation from same dealership when I called the service department.

Free battery and of course installation if your Mini is still under warranty.

I have an 04 MC.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Either the oem battery's price has come down, or some other dealers tack on
a hefty profit margin.
I see that the price is also about $100 at pelicanparts and bmwmotorwerks.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
plantain
2nd Gear
Battery costs

I still haven't been able to locate the correct drop-in replacement battery for my 2005 MC. The dealer in my area, Assael in Monrovia, wants $140 for the replacement part!

I dropped by my local Autozone and they only had the cheaper $70 battery which was identical to the other group 47 batteries at Costco and Walmart. BTW - the Costco battery is the same one made by Johnson Controls, as is the Walmart batteries.

I don't feel like modifying my bracket, but if I have to, I may just get those instead. With a modified bracket at least you have more options in the future.

By the way - did any of you who modified your bracket - did you just bend it to fit? It looks like it could be done with some heavy pliers, but I'm not sure it will bend enough without permanently breaking it. Also, how did you prop up the battery so it was high enough so the positive terminal connector could reach back into the box?

To echo everyone else up there:

Yes, the batteries appear to come in only two major shapes, at least in the Los Angeles area. There is the ever-present Johnson Controls variety, which is about 1/2" too short, and doesn't have the two lips on the side which let you clamp down the bracket. The solution for the lack of height is easy - youcan put a piece of wood under the battery in the box to prop it up. The rest if fashioning a bracket to go over the top - that I'm not so sure is easy to do, in a way that actually allows you to close the top of the battery box again.

Last edited by plantain; 08-28-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
plantain
2nd Gear
BTW - I've been finding it very difficult to locate an H5-DLG through Autozone. The website is helpful at finding shops which have stock (it seems only the 24-hour stores have them) but most of them have really old batteries - they have stickers on them that are from 2006! I did take a look at one in the store and it appears the battery is made in Germany. I'm wondering if Autozone has stopped getting batteries from them, which would explain the low stock and the really old battery stickers.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Sears Die Hard International does fit the MC, but needs an adapter to raise it up a bit. I went with this option 2 years ago because I was 2 hours from the closest dealer and was desparate. A year later MINI USA recalls the 2003 battery...I love my timing!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
plantain
2nd Gear
Finally got my battery

So I finally got my H5-DLG replacement battery at an Autozone store. It took quite a bit of searching to find a fresh one though.

In the Los Angeles area, at least, it seems that the only Autozone stores that stock them are the ones what are open 24 hours or have extended hours (open at 7 am close at 11 pm). You can check the availability through the Autozone.com website.

The cost was $109 plus a $12 core. It has a 3 year free replacement warranty.

The battery appears to be identical to the MINI battery that I replaced - all of the tiny, non-functional plastic molding bits are identical. The sticker on the top says "Made in Germany" too! The date code is stamped on the top of the plastic by the negative terminal post: The code is 4 letters long, and the first letter is A = Jan, B= Feb, etc... and the second digit is the last number of the year the battery was made 6=2006, 7=2007. Autozone slaps a small decal on the side that supposedly has the same information, but you should check the stamp on the plastic just in case someone got funny with the stickers. Make sure they match!

So if you're in the market for a new battery, the Autozone at 1515 Alvarado in Los Angeles currently has several that are less than 2 months old.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Battery in my wife's 05 MCc went out last week. Fortunately, it was still under warranty. Jumped the car and went down to the dealership for a new battery, no question asked!

ken

Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
I just tonight replaced my OEM battery with a Duralast from autozone. It was the cheaper one with the red top. Even though it had one year less warranty than the Duralast gold, it had more cranking amps, so I decided to get it instead. It's not as tall as the OEM battery, but it has the plastic edges at the bottom so the bracket holds in in place all the same.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:10 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Aeromax
I just tonight replaced my OEM battery with a Duralast from autozone. It was the cheaper one with the red top. Even though it had one year less warranty than the Duralast gold, it had more cranking amps, so I decided to get it instead. It's not as tall as the OEM battery, but it has the plastic edges at the bottom so the bracket holds in in place all the same.
I see from your sig you have an MCS, not an MC.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Oops! My bad.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Duralast Gold H5-DLG fits the cooper PERFECTLY down to the vent tubing for my 03 MC. thanks to plantain for that info. FWIW in the L.A. area the alvarado store is the only autozone that carries them. they had 2 in stock when i went today. both had 10/07 stickers on them. you need to ask for it by part number as they were perplexed when i mentioned "mini cooper".

again a perfect fit. stamped on the top "built in germany". it is an exact replica of the OEM- or i guess the same battery. $130 with tax and core. i kept my other battery (generic) that fit but, not too well in case of emergency.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Exide series 47 (they make them for WalMart, Kragen, Schucks, Checker and more) will fit the MC just fine except for the hold down bracket. I did a little flattening on the two bends nearer the passenger side, hacksawed and filed a little, drilled a hole, primed and painted. Looks and fits great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement battery options for MC