Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to

Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
R56 speaker replacement how-to

MODS: please make this sticky...

Okay, so some of these are a bit out of sequence but you can the basic idea...Please note this is for the NON Boost system...

http://picasaweb.google.com/OutMotor...kerReplacement

FRONT:
1- pull the little plastic pin from the bottom side of the door handle and remove it.
2- pull on the lower and inner edge of the door panel and work your way around it popping it loose from the door frame.
3- get that round speaker shroud off by gentling prying from the bottom until you can get a grip of the underside edge.
4-remove both the upper and lower speakers

REAR:
5- remove everything from the back!! start with the very back panel where the strike plate is and then work you way around...
6- rear seats must come out to get to the side panel which is where the rear speaker is...yes all of this work just for the rear 6x9's...you may want to just replace the fronts!!
7- B and C pillar interior covers MUST come out to get the main side panels out...
8- pull on side panels until the snaps release and then lift up to release from the upper rail...
9- throw away old speakers and replace with new ones...
10- if you need a signal for line level to your amp, the rear 6x9's wiring can be used...also there is a good ground plate right there for the amp...use it.
11- if you put in an amp you will need to run at least 8 gauge from the battery....it easily snakes through behind the battery and down by the fuse block and then along the sill plate and up by the rear seat...there is a remote lead back in the boot already...it's one of the wires that is used for the prewired HK amp...
12-a good place to mount the amp is where MINI puts theirs which is on the left side behind the C pillar lower panel...

http://picasaweb.google.com/OutMotor...kerReplacement

Front lowers (in doors) are 5.25" one ways with a 5.5" opening for the basket. The mounting depth is about 3.125". You can up to a 6.5" in the lower door as long as the basket opening is no bigger than 5.5"

Front uppers (in doors) are 3.5" one ways with a 3 -5/8 opening for the basket. Mounting depth is 2.25"

Rears are 6x9's. Totally a pain to get to but well worth it....I put in a 4 channel amp and ran 2 channels to the 6x9's and bridged the 3-4 channels to a 8" sub in a false floor...

ALL are 4 ohm speakers and are as cheap as can be. NO tweeters anywhere. All drivers appear to be treated paper and sound like they have screw drivers stuck in them....

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Last edited by OutMotoring; 04-24-2007 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SirKronan (08-05-2020)
Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 AM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this as the hifi upgrade is mince

Old 03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks very much. It is great of you to post this information.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:34 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Nice write up
The biggest problem I found was finding room for mounting crossovers in the front door - I now cut the crossovers down & mount them behind my replacement tweeters

Old 03-17-2007, 05:37 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Philips. Made in Ukraine. Wow.

Anyway, this is great info -- I might just have a stab at replacing the front door speakers. This isn't that bad.

But the rear, I'll live with it. :-)

Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thank you very much for letting me know how to remove my rear seats Aaron! LOL, I mean, how to replace my rear speakers *wink*

Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
so just to clarify, 4" will NOT fit in the front upper holes? Any possible way to get them to fit?

thanks.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
No, unless where the basket/baffle meets the front lip is LESS than 3.5"....you could cut out some of the plastic to get a slightly larger speaker in there but that is a bit messy...

Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like the Focal Polyglass 165 V3 E might be a perfect replacement.
http://www.focal-america.com/Product...lyglassV2.html

and Focal Polyglass 690 CV1 6"x9" 2Way for the rear.

whatcha think Aaron?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
That would be a great set up...I am nearly done with my system and am amazed at how much front definition and clarity I'm getting just by swapping out the fronts...and with focal's I would think it would be even better....

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well, I hope so. I ordered a set (I dunt(tm) even have my car yet! LOL!). Thanks MotorMouth. Great find. I am a bit concerned about the 8 ohm impedance of the tweeter and the size of the tweeter (I have no idea what size it is in the Mini).

And I am wondering about the crossover setup in the Mini HiFi head.

I have heard the crossover is built into the head. I hope not. Would mean I need to get a new head just so I can really get this thing setup correctly.

Of course, after I get my car and install these, I will provide a full report.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
That would be a great set up...I am nearly done with my system and am amazed at how much front definition and clarity I'm getting just by swapping out the fronts...and with focal's I would think it would be even better....
Could you look at the pdf specs for the front focals (in link) and see if you think they would fit? I think they should but it'll be close.

Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Well, I hope so. I ordered a set (I dunt(tm) even have my car yet! LOL!). Thanks MotorMouth. Great find. I am a bit concerned about the 8 ohm impedance of the tweeter and the size of the tweeter (I have no idea what size it is in the Mini).

And I am wondering about the crossover setup in the Mini HiFi head.

I have heard the crossover is built into the head. I hope not. Would mean I need to get a new head just so I can really get this thing setup correctly.

Of course, after I get my car and install these, I will provide a full report.
Don't worry about the 8ohm for the tweeter. The focals come with a 3 way crossover that should show your amp ~4 ohms. I hope you plan on getting an upgraded amp too. These things should really shine with about 100w RMS going to them. I am on the verge of getting a set myself. I just want to make absolutely sure they'll fit since I won't be able to return them. The tweeter is guaranteed to be bigger than the stock one. I hope it'll fit.

Hopefully the crossover is in the amp for the hifi system like it was last year.

When is your MINI due?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Heck, I got the production number last Saturday. Best guess is it will be here first week of May.
I will take it a step at a time. First speakers, then amps.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I'm going to test the speaker break-in myth for awhile. See how it shakes out, see how the road noise is, and wait for some more definitive info on what kind of speakers will work. I don't do much city driving, so road noise will be a big factor.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
It looks like the Focal Polyglass 165 V3 E might be a perfect replacement.
http://www.focal-america.com/Product...lyglassV2.html

and Focal Polyglass 690 CV1 6"x9" 2Way for the rear.

ok, without definite knowledge that they will fit and work without an external amp I have just purchased both of these speaker sets off e-bay. I'm taking a $635 gamble *cross fingers*

The main thing I'm worried about is fit - it'll be close.
I plan on just trying to replace the speakers themselves first directly without using the focal's crossovers since the signal going to each component should be crossovered already. If I see capacitors on the stock speakers I'll start to worry.

If the stock amp isn't good enough to push them I have no problem getting an external amp (and then using the focal's crossovers)

Old 03-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Keep us posted MM. Any chance you might take pictures? I plan on doing an all out manual for this project to help others out.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Very good chance I'll take pics although probably not as many as Aaron did.
The only thing I'll be doing that Aaron didn't do is removeing the A-pillar things to get to the tweeters. If I add an amp that'll be at a later date.

I'll be very busy trying to get it installed before the S.O. gets home from work and sees the evidence of my spending

edit:
here are pics of the speakers:

Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Cool.

Mine have not gotten here yet. I had to order them.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 AM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
A little clarification needed:
1. Are there crossovers at all the speaker locations?
2. Is the Amp in the back the only amp for the boost system, if there is another one where is it?
3. If there is another amp, which amp controls what?
4. Are we splicing wires for these new amps, or has someone come up with a quick disconnect plug that attatches to the mini plug? or, is this mini plug the same as one of the BMW's?

Thats all I can think of now, anything else anyone can add?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
My focals came in. Install this weekend. At least some photos to follow.
Hopefully no griping about how something wouldn't fit.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
The hardest thing to fit is crossovers depending on their size

Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeythemini
The hardest thing to fit is crossovers depending on their size
Have you mounted 6.5" speakers successfully?

Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
no problems as I said its the crossovers that cause the issue on many speakers

Attached Thumbnails R56 speaker replacement how-to-img_1789.jpg  
Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Installed Front Focal's today

Me and a friend spent about 3 hours today installing the 3 way component Focal speakers into the front. I did not use the crossovers that came with the Focals and I did not install an amp. I have (had) the HiFi system.

The stock driver speaker in the HiFi system is LESS than 2 ohms. The 6.5" driver for the Focal was 3.5 ohms. I was afraid the stock amp would not be able to play them loud. I had nothing to fear.

I turned the fader all the way forward so I wouldn't hear the 6x9s in the back. The sound is SO much better than before. Just the front Focals put out much more distortion free bass than the stock system including the 6x9s. Right now I have the fader to about 80% front as the stock 6x9s sound horrible compared to the focals.

The system goes pretty loud before the amp starts runnning out of juice. Not earsplitting loud but loud enough that if you listened to it for 20 minutes just before the distortion (from the amp) threshhold your ears would probably be ringing afterwards. Although you could turn the stock speakers up as loud it sounded like crap way before that level. The level of detail, crispness and CLEANness is a whole different level. I'm sure if I used a good aftermarket amp it would go to yet a whole other level. For me it may not be worth the extra effort.

On to details of the install. First removed the door panel as outmotoring explained. Pull the pin under the door handle and the are MANY pop-clips holding the panel on. The first two on the drivers side had been smashed at the factory when the panel was originally put on. I should have gotten spare clips before I started the job so I could replace them.

The round peice with the mirror controls gave me the most problems. The mirror control came apart and was not exactly easy to put back together and remount into it's hold. Of course on the passenger side the same round piece was very easy. Push the outside portions of the round piece toward the center of the round piece to make removeing them easier. If you reach under the door panel to pop the inner clips be sure not to touch the light on the bottom portion that lights up the ground - it gets very hot. Trust me.

The 6.5" focals did not quite fit into the circular speaker mount. I used a dremel around the inside edge just a little bit and then the speaker fit very snug and secure. I had to drill new holes for the screws. On the midrange speaker I had to cut off one of the four screw tabs so the circular piece would fit around it. I cut the wires that held the proprietary clips that feed the speakers an inch back from the speakers so when I get a new MINI I have enough wire left to be able to put the stock speakers back in. I then soldered the correct speaker connection to a longer peice of speaker wire which I had soldered to the stock speaker wire feed.

The tweeters went into the stock location. On the A pillar near the top is an oval looking piece of plastic that says "airbag". I used a very small flat head screwdriver to pry the portion closest to the rear out. The whole piece came out easily after that. Do not try to pry out the front portion of it. You'll understand why when you see how it is mounted in there. Under the airbad piece is a screw. Remove the screw. Starting at the top pull the A piller cover off. There are two pop clips holding it on. At the botton there are two tabs that slide into slots on the dash. It is very easy to take off.

The focal tweeter fits into the mounting hole of the stock tweeter pretty well. I used hot glue to hold it in place. I also kept the capacitor that the stock speaker used for a "crossover" since I was not using the crossovers that came with the focals.

Putting the A-pillar cover back on is a little trickier. Be sure to pull the rubber door moulding most of the way off before re-installing the A-piller cover. Start at the bottom with putting the tabs into the grooves and forcing the cover down as far as possible. B careful that you get the pop clips lined up with the holes and don't drop one of the clips into the nether regions of the dash as I did on the drivers side (note - it hasn't started rattling around in there yet). Once it is clipped back in (and the screw screwed in) push the rubbermoulding back into place.

I have the Focal 6x9s ready to install but I'm not sure when I'll have the time. I expect it to be a several hour job to do because you basically have to strip everything from the b-pillar back. It WILL be worth it though.

To anyone who want to upgrade the stock speakers - I HIGHLY recommend the brand Focal.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Installed Front Focal's today

Me and a friend spent about 3 hours today installing the 3 way component Focal speakers into the front. I did not use the crossovers that came with the Focals and I did not install an amp. I have (had) the HiFi system.

The stock driver speaker in the HiFi system is LESS than 2 ohms. The 6.5" driver for the Focal was 3.5 ohms. I was afraid the stock amp would not be able to play them loud. I had nothing to fear.

I turned the fader all the way forward so I wouldn't hear the 6x9s in the back. The sound is SO much better than before. Just the front Focals put out much more distortion free bass than the stock system including the 6x9s. Right now I have the fader to about 80% front as the stock 6x9s sound horrible compared to the focals.

The system goes pretty loud before the amp starts runnning out of juice. Not earsplitting loud but loud enough that if you listened to it for 20 minutes just before the distortion (from the amp) threshhold your ears would probably be ringing afterwards. Although you could turn the stock speakers up as loud it sounded like crap way before that level. The level of detail, crispness and CLEANness is a whole different level. I'm sure if I used a good aftermarket amp it would go to yet a whole other level. For me it may not be worth the extra effort.

On to details of the install. First removed the door panel as outmotoring explained. Pull the pin under the door handle and the are MANY pop-clips holding the panel on. The first two on the drivers side had been smashed at the factory when the panel was originally put on. I should have gotten spare clips before I started the job so I could replace them.

The round peice with the mirror controls gave me the most problems. The mirror control came apart and was not exactly easy to put back together and remount into it's hold. Of course on the passenger side the same round piece was very easy. Push the outside portions of the round piece toward the center of the round piece to make removeing them easier. If you reach under the door panel to pop the inner clips be sure not to touch the light on the bottom portion that lights up the ground - it gets very hot. Trust me.

The 6.5" focals did not quite fit into the circular speaker mount. I used a dremel around the inside edge just a little bit and then the speaker fit very snug and secure. I had to drill new holes for the screws. On the midrange speaker I had to cut off one of the four screw tabs so the circular piece would fit around it. I cut the wires that held the proprietary clips that feed the speakers an inch back from the speakers so when I get a new MINI I have enough wire left to be able to put the stock speakers back in. I then soldered the correct speaker connection to a longer peice of speaker wire which I had soldered to the stock speaker wire feed.

The tweeters went into the stock location. On the A pillar near the top is an oval looking piece of plastic that says "airbag". I used a very small flat head screwdriver to pry the portion closest to the rear out. The whole piece came out easily after that. Do not try to pry out the front portion of it. You'll understand why when you see how it is mounted in there. Under the airbad piece is a screw. Remove the screw. Starting at the top pull the A piller cover off. There are two pop clips holding it on. At the botton there are two tabs that slide into slots on the dash. It is very easy to take off.

The focal tweeter fits into the mounting hole of the stock tweeter pretty well. I used hot glue to hold it in place. I also kept the capacitor that the stock speaker used for a "crossover" since I was not using the crossovers that came with the focals.

Putting the A-pillar cover back on is a little trickier. Be sure to pull the rubber door moulding most of the way off before re-installing the A-piller cover. Start at the bottom with putting the tabs into the grooves and forcing the cover down as far as possible. B careful that you get the pop clips lined up with the holes and don't drop one of the clips into the nether regions of the dash as I did on the drivers side (note - it hasn't started rattling around in there yet). Once it is clipped back in (and the screw screwed in) push the rubbermoulding back into place.

I have the Focal 6x9s ready to install but I'm not sure when I'll have the time. I expect it to be a several hour job to do because you basically have to strip everything from the b-pillar back. It WILL be worth it though.

To anyone who want to upgrade the stock speakers - I HIGHLY recommend the brand Focal. Yes, they are quite a bit more expensive than anything you can buy at circuit city or best buy but there is a reason for that. You get what you pay for. Check e-bay for the best deals. For the MINI I'd recommend getting the polyglass line. It is the second tier of 4 tiers that Focal makes. The 3rd tier - Polykevlar will NOT fit. The 6.5" driver that comes with them has a HUGE deep magnet. Forget the Utopia line for the same reason.

If you do not have the HiFi system you will need an aftermarket amp for Focal speakers. The Hifi amp drives them adequately. I know if I went through the pain of installing an aftermarket amp with the speakers I have now I would be in musical Nirvana. The only reason I don't is my MINI is on a 2 year lease and I know I'll be getting a new one when the lease is up. (besides I'm pretty happy with it now).

I'll post details of the 6x9 install when I do it but I don't expect that to be for awhile.

I only took one pic (which I'll post later). I had planned on photo blogging the whole process but I started at 5:30 pm after work and just wanted to get it done. Besides, everything but the A-pillar removal has been posted and that is pretty easy..

edit:

now how did that post twice???

if a mod could kindly delete the post before this one I'd appreciate it.

EDIT 2:

holy crap I'm happy. Just went cruising for an hour. The Focals need time for breakin also. After one hour I am amazed at how good it sounds with rock. REALLY good.

The only thing missing right now is DEEP bass. Hopefully that will come with the 6x9s.

I also made an mp3 cd for the first time. I burnt them as a data disk to cd - several whole albums of various bit rates - all above 128kbps/sec and I love the way the headunit handles it. It show each album which of course you can scroll through.. Push the big button to select an album then scroll through the individual songs. Awesome.

I am tickled pink right now.

Skuzzy, you are going to love these speakers. which ones total did you get?

Last edited by MotorMouth; 04-07-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to