10th Annual MINIs On The Dragon (May 2 - 6, 2012) MOTD 2012

So who got tickets while at the Dragon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So who got tickets while at the Dragon?

I know as we left early Sunday, another Mini was running over the speed limit coming off the mountain. My radar detector went off and I slowed down...

Unfortunately, the fellow member didn't and got pulled by a Highway patrolman. I don't know if he got a ticket but a crappy way to end an enjoyable weekend.

Anyone else?

Mark

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Callmedave
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A women from Michigan got a $400 ticket near Robinsville, lame.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM
LowCountry S
4th Gear
I'd say speeding in the school zone (which is what the ticket was for, per her husband; if it's the same woman) was the lame part (if true). No sympathy for speeding in school zones {imho}. Don't know the circumstances of the violation, but kids and speeding cars don't mix, they just dont pay attention.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 AM
312griso8v
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LowCountry S
I'd say speeding in the school zone (which is what the ticket was for, per her husband; if it's the same woman) was the lame part (if true). No sympathy for speeding in school zones {imho}. Don't know the circumstances of the violation, but kids and speeding cars don't mix, they just dont pay attention.
+1 (if true).

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
zamfield
3rd Gear
There were a lot Saturday early evening too... We left and went to do the Cade's Cove run. Saw 3 on the way up to the Dragon and one on the parkway.
Wasn't "Really" speeding but the radar detector went off before I saw him and we were ok.

Great weekend and a shame for anyone that got a ticket, but anyone that's done the Dragon before can tell you that Smokey is always out there on those roads.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LowCountry S
Does anyone know if it was during school hours? If it was, then shame on her, I DON'T SPEED IN SCHOOL ZONES.... you just never know when some kid will run out.

400.00 seems high so I can only assume it was on Thursday or Friday during school hours.

Either way, hopefully she'll pay more attention next time.

Mark

Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Pulled over once for tint and once for 72/55 but only warnings. Professional courtesy I think (I'm a fireman). But it could have been an expensive weekend

Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM
camminich
5th Gear
We ran into North Carolina Troopers Saturday 10:30pm on north 129 between Robbinsville and Topoco. They had they road blocked and were doing a "license check." Thankfully we were just motoring along, but from the sounds of it, they did get a few earlier.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DARK CHILI
Pulled over once for tint and once for 72/55 but only warnings. Professional courtesy I think (I'm a fireman). But it could have been an expensive weekend
Question, and this is something I've always wondered, but never looked into. If you get pulled over in a state other than your home state, can the cops actually give you a ticket for your tint?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
LowCountry S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by camminich
We ran into North Carolina Troopers Saturday 10:30pm on north 129 between Robbinsville and Topoco. They had they road blocked and were doing a "license check." Thankfully we were just motoring along, but from the sounds of it, they did get a few earlier.

same thing Monday afternoon when we came in; right after turning off 74 to 28, looked like 8-10 of them spread out, checking licenses in both directions

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM
J&M'sMini
3rd Gear
^^good grief random blockades to "check" drivers licenses.

...low on crime in that area

Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 PM
carman63
3rd Gear
Didn't get a ticket while at/near the Dragon, but I was tagged for 79 in a 70 in Virginia (I-81S). Also 'found' a pot hole just south of Roanoke the same day. That was an expensive day - 3 points, over $100 in ticket plus fees, and over $900 for a new wheel and tire Oh well. Pay to play.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Unfortunately, the fellow member didn't and got pulled by a Highway patrolman. I don't know if he got a ticket but a crappy way to end an enjoyable weekend.
That's what happened to me last year on my way home. 3/4 of the way through the Dragon and got popped by a HP. Not a good way to end weekend.

Noticed 3 on my way home again this time as well, after 6pm too!

I almost never go over 35 anymore on the Dragon itself, it's just not worth it anymore.....

Lot's of other good roads in the area...

Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
That's what happened to me last year on my way home. 3/4 of the way through the Dragon and got popped by a HP. Not a good way to end weekend.

Noticed 3 on my way home again this time as well, after 6pm too!

I almost never go over 35 anymore on the Dragon itself, it's just not worth it anymore.....

Lot's of other good roads in the area...

I’d love to tell ya’ll what happened to me last year when I left the dragon but because it involves well into the triple digits, I won’t mention it but it was funny as hell.

Mark

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
We couldn't have gotten a speeding ticket if we WANTED one on the Dragon Friday, Mark! :D

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Question, and this is something I've always wondered, but never looked into. If you get pulled over in a state other than your home state, can the cops actually give you a ticket for your tint?
I have wondered about this too, anyone know?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say yes they can give you a ticket for tint even though in your home state it's legal. You have to obey the laws of the state your in...
That being said they may just give you a warning ticket for that reason to be nice about it..

Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was popped with Laser in GA on the was down home and stabbed the brakes. Radared a few times but got it back under 80 quickly and nobody chased me down. I made the 13 hour trip (according to Google) in 12 hours with 5 stops, 1 being a hour lunch at Cracker Barrel as church let out in Lake City. Not super proud, but I-75 was so boring once past ATL.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by N2MINI
I'd say yes they can give you a ticket for tint even though in your home state it's legal. You have to obey the laws of the state your in...
That being said they may just give you a warning ticket for that reason to be nice about it..

Sorry N2, not correct.... As long as your car passes inspection in your state, then you are completely legal. One of my friends is a cop in town and I asked him that before and he told me that if you are from another state and your plates are expired, they're still not allowed to write a ticket.

Originally Posted by yetti96
I was popped with Laser in GA on the was down home and stabbed the brakes. Radared a few times but got it back under 80 quickly and nobody chased me down. I made the 13 hour trip (according to Google) in 12 hours with 5 stops, 1 being a hour lunch at Cracker Barrel as church let out in Lake City. Not super proud, but I-75 was so boring once past ATL.

Before my father passed away, I would drive from NC to FL (just outside of tampa) almost every weekend to spend time with him before he passed. (he was given 7 months to live and he ended up lasting 2 1/2 years)

Point is, after about a year of driving every weekend, I started going every 3-4 weeks to spend time with him.

Needless to say, driving that distance after you get off work at 6pm was boring as hell.

After he passed, I still see my mom on a pretty frequent basis but the drive still sucks. One of the last times I made it, I made it from her house to my house in 7:15 minutes. That includes the time it took for the SC state trooper to issue me my high performance award certificate.

Cop was cool, he wrote it up from (let's just say triple digits) to 69 in a 60.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 05-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by N2MINI
Sorry N2, not correct.... As long as your car passes inspection in your state, then you are completely legal. One of my friends is a cop in town and I asked him that before and he told me that if you are from another state and your plates are expired, they're still not allowed to write a ticket.
Mark
Thanks!! I've always wondered how they could tell you your tint is illegal when you're just visiting or passing through their state.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by carman63
Didn't get a ticket while at/near the Dragon, but I was tagged for 79 in a 70 in Virginia (I-81S). Also 'found' a pot hole just south of Roanoke the same day. That was an expensive day - 3 points, over $100 in ticket plus fees, and over $900 for a new wheel and tire Oh well. Pay to play.
That is what I was really worried about going home... I took 81S all the way to PA and was in a group with 4 other MINIs - all going about that same speed. I saw so many cops and really didn't want to travel that fast but luckily we made it back without any tickets. Sorry to hear about all the things that happened

Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I’d love to tell ya’ll what happened to me last year when I left the dragon but because it involves well into the triple digits, I won’t mention it but it was funny as hell.

Mark
yea I hear you Mark...I was a good little boy at the Dragon this year because I have a similar case that's being kicked down the road until who knows when
To make things worse, my last and only ticket on record was also in NC! AT THE 07 DRAGON before I moved to NC!!
NC doesn't tolerate class 3 misdemeanor at all...we'll see if I'll have a license to be at the Dragon next year...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 05-08-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear

Yeah but unfortunately my tint showed 11% on his little gizmo which is illegal pretty much everywhere on your front windows . But hey the warning just gets to go in the little diary MINI sent me to keep track of the adventures

Old 05-08-2012, 06:39 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DARK CHILI
Yeah but unfortunately my tint showed 11% on his little gizmo which is illegal pretty much everywhere on your front windows . But hey the warning just gets to go in the little diary MINI sent me to keep track of the adventures

You mean Fl. actually has limits to it’s tint degree? I thought FL was one of those states that didn’t care about tint.

I know in NC, we’re only allowed 35% though no one follows it.

Mark

Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
According to this page - http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/ - enforcement of tint laws on out of state vehicles varies by state.

Quick Reply: So who got tickets while at the Dragon?