Go Pro on the Dragon...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Pro on the Dragon...

Hey fellow MINI owners,

I have a 4 camera Go Pro setup for our drag racing team that I am thinking about lugging down to the dragon this year and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having their MINI recorded for the event. I can record the footage and then give it to you to edit away. If you bring the number of SD cards for as many cameras you want recording that would be the easiest way to go! These are HD and I normally run them in 720p mode because it give the widest view at 170˚ 16:9 30FPS. 1080p is an option too but it is limited to 127˚ 16:9 30 FPS.

These can be used rain or shine as they are waterproof, so a wet day at the Dragon will not hurt them!

I also have a GPS logger that will record the location of the car and in an app like Dashware you can have a graphic on the video like all the track videos have! Check out the site to see what the software can do, it is really cool! http://www.dashware.net/

Please keep in mind that these cameras are good for daylight recording and are not so hot at night so the Midnight run would not work.

I think that it is fair to charge $40.00 per Dragon Run which is only $10.00 per Camera!

If we can get 15 people signed up for the whole weekend it will work out for me!

Here is a Drag Racing Video I put together. The MINI video will be WAY more interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMCtH...yer_detailpage

Questions, let me know.

b-

Attached Thumbnails Go Pro on the Dragon...-photo-1.jpg   Go Pro on the Dragon...-photo-2.jpg   Go Pro on the Dragon...-photo.jpg  

Last edited by CoopersGuy; 02-01-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting idea I am trying to borrow one or two from buddies at work. Might look at the 3d mount and use 2 of them? Kind of ghee-whiz toys but still a neat idea.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
I was looking at the 3D setup and decided it was not impressive enough to drop the $100 on it.

They are loads of fun!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If all goes well, I've two GoPro experiments I'm trying to get done:

I'm going to try to send one up in the air via some helium balloons and get some arial footage. And then mount one on delayed continuous shooting during the entire Panoramic photo to make a speeded up video.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snooter
If all goes well, I've two GoPro experiments I'm trying to get done:

I'm going to try to send one up in the air via some helium balloons and get some arial footage. And then mount one on delayed continuous shooting during the entire Panoramic photo to make a speeded up video.
Killboy puts his in a RC helicopter. Maybe if you bought one now you'd be practiced enough by May!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
don't laugh, I've looked into getting a helicopter and even talked to some guys locally that are in a RC club......just too expensive and not enough free time to get it done :(

Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
How do you guarantee not to lose the balloon and then the camera?

I've got a ContourGPS cam which I'll bringing as well. Love the pano shot idea Snooter.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
They website I found it on the balloon idea on, used some fisher wire and a small fishing pole. I'll have my fingers crossed the whole time

Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
They website I found it on the balloon idea on, used some fisher wire and a small fishing pole. I'll have my fingers crossed the whole time
I would GPS that sucker regardless to play it safe.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
how would I GPS it?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
how would I GPS it?
Your iPhone of course! Send your iphone up and then use, Find My iPhone to track it. Some kids did it with a balloon and a Lego figure. It landed about 75 Miles from the launch point!

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/0...ig-into-space/

But without cell service you would be out of luck. For the Dragon I would use a tethered balloon!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CoopersGuy
Your iPhone of course! Send your iphone up and then use, Find My iPhone to track it. Some kids did it with a balloon and a Lego figure. It landed about 75 Miles from the launch point!

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/0...ig-into-space/

But without cell service you would be out of luck. For the Dragon I would use a tethered balloon!
how would I GPS it?

You wouldnt need cell service for the GPS on an iPhone (4 or 4s) to work so it should work even in the woods. So I would somewhat trust it there.

Best bet and what I would do is pick up one of these guys at a outdoor sporting store like REI or EMS for the weekend. They are made for the woods and can automatically track on google maps where it is. They almost work anywhere in the world, especially this one.

Having worked at an outdoor shop, just return it saying that you 'didnt like it' or that it was a 'duplicate gift' or anything for that matter and almost every outdoor shop I know of will gladly refund you 100% for it, used or not.

People have returned combination locks after they have forgotten the code and we still took them back, used snowboards from 5 years ago even, its absurd.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
If you are sending a balloon off and wish to recover it later you WILL need a cell phone with GPS. Sure, it knows where it is but if you are not holding it YOU don't know where it is.

Originally Posted by cgaubuchon
You wouldnt need cell service for the GPS on an iPhone (4 or 4s) to work so it should work even in the woods. So I would somewhat trust it there.

Best bet and what I would do is pick up one of these guys at a outdoor sporting store like REI or EMS for the weekend. They are made for the woods and can automatically track on google maps where it is. They almost work anywhere in the world, especially this one.

Having worked at an outdoor shop, just return it saying that you 'didnt like it' or that it was a 'duplicate gift' or anything for that matter and almost every outdoor shop I know of will gladly refund you 100% for it, used or not.

People have returned combination locks after they have forgotten the code and we still took them back, used snowboards from 5 years ago even, its absurd.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
All you'd really need if you went with the GPS receiver I mentioned above is a computer with an internet connection (yes a phone with GPS would work too) as is relays its location to a online service every few minutes.

So if you did lose the balloon then you just wait a few hours for it to crash land somewhere. Take a look at the map online to get the coords and get there to get it.

A GPS on a phone would make it easier but you could do it with a map if you are keen to wayfinding in the woods.

If you are sending a balloon off and wish to recover it later you WILL need a cell phone with GPS. Sure, it knows where it is but if you are not holding it YOU don't know where it is.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Appreciate all the advice. But given the rough terrain out there and the fact that the balloon with my GoPro and now possibly my iphone or equivalently expensive tracking device can land in some place I can't get to, I'll cut my potential loses and just go with a high test fishing line and take my chances. (not to mention, I would not even have the time to go Geochaching after it anyway with my schedule)

Maybe someone can stand next to me with a riffle and shoot the sucker down if the line breaks

Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Appreciate all the advice. But given the rough terrain out there and the fact that the balloon with my GoPro and now possibly my iphone or equivalently expensive tracking device can land in some place I can't get to, I'll cut my potential loses and just go with a high test fishing line and take my chances. (not to mention, I would not even have the time to go Geochaching after it anyway with my schedule)

Maybe someone can stand next to me with a riffle and shoot the sucker down if the line breaks
At your service.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Hired!!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ohh maybe next year a run to some "local" gun range? I'm sure there are quite a few enthusiasts and 2nd amendment folks. A truck club I was in before (when I had a truck) did lots of shoots together. Sounds like it needs so looking in to.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
not too late to add it this year if we have a volunteer to lead it

Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 AM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
So, is the hijack over? Just saying.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear

Yes, and if we end up going I will likely be interested in doing this.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Sorry about that CG But on the bright side, I just put together a new drive to be announce on Saturday based on our thread excursion

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We rented Go Pros last year and it worked out ok. We will prob do it again this year.
But we will also have a special deal on the Cameras for sale.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-27-2012, 03:18 AM
TWINDAD222
1st Gear
What type of "special deal" will you have on the Go Pro's?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TWINDAD222
What type of "special deal" will you have on the Go Pro's?
Typical vendor, hijack someone's thread to steer business to himself and then don't respond to a question asked to him.

Quick Reply: Go Pro on the Dragon...