10th Annual MINIs On The Dragon (May 2 - 6, 2012) MOTD 2012

Exhaust Sound-off

Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
colinmini
5th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
So, while I can ride down with my street exhaust and then change it to my race exhaust, I have so much fun running the race one, especially through the tunnels in WV. But, I still want to be able to hear when I am down at Fontana..........What did you say?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like this idea, and I hate being a debbie downer, but doing this in Fontana is a very bad idea. In reference to that nissan video, IN GENERAL, the nissan crew and the MINI crew are way different in age and interests. You may have the modding community with MINIs just the same, but there are a lot more people that do not like to deal with "a bunch of kids, revving their exhausts." I would definitely check with Barry and someone at Fontana before you try this, as if you try standing in someone's way with a flag, and they have no interest in an exhaust sound-off, you are going to have a line of irate people. Granted, Thursday is somewhat early in the event, and many people won't be there yet. And don't get me wrong, this is not a knock on you, or the event in general. Like I said, I love the idea. I just want to make sure that everything has been thought of because I want this event to succeed and be able to have it again next year. If this was a Honda event, I would say go for it, no one will care; but, as I have learned over the years of owning a MINI, the MINI crew is a very different bunch...no offense, just fact.

I think that the parking lot with the dock is a good spot. The one that is on the way to the Dragon, that you pass after that hard left. near where we line up for the parade. There is plenty of parking, and a good bit of straightaway too with decent visibility. Also, the dam itself wouldn't be a bad spot. Plenty of parking, and the straight being the dam itself. Super low traffic, and great visibility. Drivers would have plenty of time to slow down should a car show up. And I really don't think we have to worry about anyone outside fontana having a problem with it. I mean I understand your point, because technically I believe this would be pretty illegal, but I think I can count one one hand the amount of police officers I have seen in two years at the Dragon.

Please take this as constructive criticism. If you still want to do it in Fontana, I will still be there. I just wanted to offer my input. I would prefer it the way you suggest to be honest. I just am worried that it won't go down smoothly.

I really want to hear that JCW exhaust with the RMW header...

Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Cabalabadingdong
3rd Gear
#16 on the List - Mine was installed on Thursday by Allen's Muffler (not Sneed's). I have an '06 MCS with 64k on it. I have a 4" round Flowmaster glasspack behind the cat, then a 4" round Flowmaster turbo behind the brace, both located in the tunnel, all 2.5" pipe from the cat to a nice slash cut flat oval SS tip. Other mods listed in sig. Talk about some Pop-n-Burble.....

I hope we can just go ahead and get Fontana's blessing.... doesn't seem right doing it somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, "We're there!" like Harry & Lloyd no matter where it is..... but, it'd be cool in Fontana

Last edited by Cabalabadingdong; 04-27-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Sounds sweet. And yea, that's all I'm saying. I want to make sure we get Fontana's blessing like you said. That way we can insure that this event can happen every year, and isn't labeled as the young boy racer event.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Cabalabadingdong
3rd Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by davavd
As of today (3/20), we now have 20 signed up.
1. minibluecabrio (Scorpion catback, OBX header): blue 06 MCSC w/ Alta CAI, 380 injectors, 17% pulley
2. IndieCooper (Exhaust Depot custom catback): black w/ green 10 MCS
3. colinmini (12” glasspack, 15 minute-switchable w/ stock muffler): red/white 05 MC
4. mielnicki (R-speed catback): purple 05 MC w/ DDM Works CAI
5. mc40monster (Supersprint catback, 04 MC, 4/1 header, no cat, race mufflers, and resonator)
6. Tigger (Magnaflow)
7. MiniBee (JCW sound kit)
8. 03minikid (deafening)
9. Frodo (custom 2.5” straight pipe w/ Magnaflow resonators)
10. Mr. Jim (JCW with Mynes V2 header)
11. Porhos (Invidia q300 w/ Riss Racing catless downpipe)
12. PoonRacing (Borla)
13. Mike the Plumber (old school glasspack)
14. Davisflyer (JCW w/ RMW header)
15. Chili PA (RMW street header w/Milltek): 05 R53 (MCS) w/ DDM Works CAI, RMW BVH "The Jesus Head", RMW CAM, Helix 15% Pully, Larger injectors, Meth
16. Calabaladingdong (Sneeds custom): car?
17. Colejd (Remus Street Power-Sound Race Exhaust, stock down pipe, and a DDM Works Street intake) 2008 MCCS
18. DixonL2 (twin glasspack straight-back (under the battery box), Alta intake, 15% pulley, TSW engine mount) 06 MCS
19. MiNiSandpirate (RMW Header, Stratmosphere Flashpoint exhaust, 15% pulley, RMW street cam, tune(will be switching to Vi-PEC soon), alta intake, jcw injectors) 03 MCS
20. Nathan (RMW Race Header, Random Technology Super High Flow cat, 2.5in outlet to 18" Vibrant resonator split to each side, reduced to 2.25in and then through a 12" Vibrant resonator on each side) 06 MCS

I would like to add some more info to 6-14 , as it becomes available.

The plan appears to be that on Thursday at 3pm we will assemble in the parking lot near the store, and each car will make a small loop. This should give us a reasonable opportunity to hear acceleration, deceleration, and a couple of gear changes. The route is indicated on the pic below.

I would like to see a few more entries, maybe a one-ball....
You butchered the hell outa my name..... Hahahaahah!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I will have my Clubman S with a Milltek Catback, and possibly a downpipe if I have time to install it this week.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have come to a disappointing realization. Since the beginning of April, I have been having some kind of heart problem that causes me to have very little energy or stamina. I have had some tests, but I don't meet with the cardiologist until Monday. I do know how I feel, however. I get way too tired way too easily, and like this, it just isn't wise to go up to Fontana this year. I think Aaron's post #48 in the safety thread on Motoring Alliance, where he listed the conditions under which one should not drive the Dragon (one being when you are tired), finally removed what little doubt I had left. Since I'm the one who originally volunteered to run this event, there is now a need for someone to take over. My Fontana room (2 queen, I think) is going to be available, too.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Cabalabadingdong
3rd Gear
Unhappy Sorry to hear bro.....

I have come to a disappointing realization. Since the beginning of April, I have been having some kind of heart problem that causes me to have very little energy or stamina. I have had some tests, but I don't meet with the cardiologist until Monday. I do know how I feel, however. I get way too tired way too easily, and like this, it just isn't wise to go up to Fontana this year. I think Aaron's post #48 in the safety thread on Motoring Alliance, where he listed the conditions under which one should not drive the Dragon (one being when you are tired), finally removed what little doubt I had left. Since I'm the one who originally volunteered to run this event, there is now a need for someone to take over. My Fontana room (2 queen, I think) is going to be available, too.

I hope everything works out for you so we can see you at future events.

I'm sure we'll figure something out to get this thing rollin'.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 AM
PoonRacing
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since I'm the one who originally volunteered to run this event, there is now a need for someone to take over.

Hey Davavd just shot me some infor for what you have planned I'll get the show going for you. I'm the #12

Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about custom individualized exhaust systems... a frankenstein if you will of exhausts?

Mine is a copulation of aftermarket cat, true JCW exhaust, aftermarket resonator and JCW Stage III muffler.

Mark